Excellent Starter Vegan Tips - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Zelda Freak

Thinking about going vegan? If you're at VB, that's good, because we're pretty helpful here (I may be biased), but if you're looking for a nice, tidy round up of easy tips, check this out:

How To Go Vegan: 12 Beginner Tips To Get You Started

I agreed with most of this list, cept for the "go vegan with a friend" deal, because good luck finding a friend to do it with, but it is a nice AND SHORT read that is great for transitioning vegans. 

Jasminedesi16 likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you Jennifer! This is really helpful, I'm trying to cut dairy altogether but it's alot more difficult than cutting out meat.

#3 Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post

Thank you Jennifer! This is really helpful, I'm trying to cut dairy altogether but it's alot more difficult than cutting out meat.

It can be for sure. It was a snap to cut out meat but it took me years to go vegan. Especially since I'm not a fan of vegan cheese, so I had to find new ways to eat burritos, grilled cheese, etc. It gets easier the more you experiment. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Mostly good advice but some misinformation when it comes to health. Vegan diets are not often missing vitamin A, processed soy is not necessarily more allergenic or hard to digest than tempeh or tofu, and encouraging people to eat more salt is not good advice (in general).

beanspud and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#5 Old 12-14-2013, 10:19 PM

I'm a new vegan, but I worry about my dense muscle tissue.  

#6 Old 12-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanosVegan View Post

You mean like this kind of muscle :

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/

Biggest tip is #2 IMO - give yourself time to adjust! 

When I think back to the beginning of giving up dairy and all other animal products in foods, it's a completely different picture than what I look at today. After time things almost seem to come to you instead of struggling to find them. My food selection is probably more varied today than when I was an omnivore. Funny how back then I relied on stir fry and refried beans and salsa.

You really need to get into how to get out the animal products. Vegetable dumpling stew - no one needs to look for meat because it's so hearty. dumplings are just as good without egg. Mushroom stroganoff - slice them thick. Gravy -  puree mushrooms, or just use a savory broth like no beef boullion, lay on the herbs and spices. Ground or chopped nuts, both mushy and firm lentils, some bulgar for texture, tofu to hold it together--you've got a great sliceable loaf, or balls. Amazing things with eggplant. Beans make sauces, gravies, spreads and dips. Raw cashews blend into thick creamy sauces and cheezy textured things. And if you can stand avocados I guess they're okay too.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

Overall, I think these are pretty bad tips and some of the most important things are missing. Some of the worst:

7. Resist the urge to fill up on simple carbohydrates.

This is the heading, which doesn't make much sense, but then she takes about white bread which is filled with complex, not simple, carbohydrates. Perhaps she means to avoid refined carbohydrates? That would be good advice, but the carbohydrates in white bread are the same carbohydrates in whole grain bread, hummus. She also implies that eating the white bread with hummus makes it better, but most hummus is prepared with a lot of fat and salt, as such one may be better off eating the white bread.

10. Pay attention to your cravings

There is little reason to believe that food cravings have anything to do with your underlying nutrient status, due to the addictive nature of some foods, listening to your cravings will often lead to some very poor food choices.

11. Supplement your diet with vitamins.

Though, obviously, vegans need to supplement with b12.....I have no idea why she mentions vitamin A and D. People, vegan and otherwise, often don't get enough vitamin A and D but its easy for vegans to get enough vitamin A and D without supplements. I mean, just 1/3 cup of cooked kale meets your daily vitamin A needs.

The comment about soy is strange as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanosVegan View Post

What is your worry? If you plan your diet well, you should have no trouble getting enough protein to maintain your muscle mass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page