3 days as a vegan - by a meat eater - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Zelda Freak

I just read this interesting article by an omni about her three days as a vegan. 

The bad: She didn't stay vegan - it seemed like she just did it as a weird experiment. 

The good: Though this gal did not stay vegan, I feel like this might be a helpful read for those who are trying to transition because this person was pretty honest about what was hard, what was easy and some costs associated with going vegan. In fact, I kind of felt like this person had a basic control on her diet even after just three days, which showed that she likely could have stayed vegan with a little more want/effort. 

Basically, though this person was a meat and heavy dairy eater, she found other options and she had almost no drive apparently to do so. That's good news if you do have drive to go vegan IMO, because it helps to see that even a die hard omni could manage - so imagine what an aspiring vegan might be able to do?

Read the article: My three days as a vegan

Ewe Nanny likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Like it where she concluded

You know that feeling you get when you eat healthy for a while? Well, that was a great side effect of those three days.

If she'd really wanted, she could have had that great side-effect for the rest of her life.

Lv

#3 Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Like it where she concluded

If she'd really wanted, she could have had that great side-effect for the rest of her life.

Lv

I know right. I kept thinking that because she had some issues (typical to what I had going vegan) but overall she seemed so level headed about it. I think she could have easily stayed vegan. Still this is why it's a good piece. If a meat eater can do it, someone who really wants to be vegan has fewer excuses IMO. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The first (only, as of 1:33 p.m. on 3 Dec PST, anyway) was one about how she "couldn't afford tofu, but her first meal after was a steak"....

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

The first (only, as of 1:33 p.m. on 3 Dec PST, anyway) was one about how she "couldn't afford tofu, but her first meal after was a steak"....

Ha, missed that excuse. That's hilarious. I always have meat eaters tell me vegan is so expensive, then they buy steak and salmon. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Ha, missed that excuse. That's hilarious. I always have meat eaters tell me vegan is so expensive, then they buy steak and salmon. 

I NEVER understood that excuse.

I used to eat plant-based meals, as a carnist, when I was low on money.

I even started posting my food on Facebook during Vegetarian Month, as a way of showing my friends that I could make huge meals for all of about 10 bucks (and it would usually make 3 meals, it's not like I'm a girl who's afraid of eating, either :P).

#7 Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised that tofu costs "nearly $5" for a 3 serving package.  The packages of tofu I have seen, even the organic, are more like $3 range for a 3 serving package.  Same with tempeh.  And beans are less than $2 for a pound of dry or around a $1 for a 15 oz can.  Compare that to $6 for a package of boneless chicken or frozen shrimp to feed four (at least a few years ago that was the cost).  I can see how the vegan yogurts and sugars and cheeses might be more expensive, but really those shouldn't be part of an every day diet anyway.  I don't know of any vegan that eats vegan cheeses and yogurts every day, but I know plenty of omnivores who go through several packages of cheese per week or tons of yogurt, so the cost wouldn't be that much different anyway when you compare frequency of buying between the two.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#8 Old 12-04-2013, 02:55 AM

Why do people assume that to live a vegan lifetyle you must eat copious amounts of tofu. Tofu is in no way more expensive than real meat (non-processed, chopped and reformed is different).

You know what? If you can't afford it or don't like tofu...... DON'T EAT IT!

It's like me saying I can't afford to eat a steak so it would be impossible for me to eat a non-vegan diet. It is just one of many cop outs and excuses for people who have conflicting morals!
#9 Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Why do people assume that to live a vegan lifetyle you must eat copious amounts of tofu. Tofu is in no way more expensive than real meat (non-processed, chopped and reformed is different).

It's like me saying I can't afford to eat a steak so it would be impossible for me to eat a non-vegan diet. It is just one of many cop outs and excuses for people who have conflicting morals!

I don't get the whole tofu thing either.  Omnivores seem to think that is all we eat besides vegetables and fruits.  A lot of omnivore restaurants with a few token vegan or vegetarian items always include tofu in them too.  I find it frustrating as someone with an intolerance to tofu who rarely ever consumes it. 

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#10 Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 AM

See I quite like it but like still only eat it 2-3 times a week. This is mainly because I'm cooking extremely tasty meals that don't contain it!
#11 Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I'm surprised that tofu costs "nearly $5" for a 3 serving package.  The packages of tofu I have seen, even the organic, are more like $3 range for a 3 serving package.  Same with tempeh.  And beans are less than $2 for a pound of dry or around a $1 for a 15 oz can.  Compare that to $6 for a package of boneless chicken or frozen shrimp to feed four (at least a few years ago that was the cost).  I can see how the vegan yogurts and sugars and cheeses might be more expensive, but really those shouldn't be part of an every day diet anyway.  I don't know of any vegan that eats vegan cheeses and yogurts every day, but I know plenty of omnivores who go through several packages of cheese per week or tons of yogurt, so the cost wouldn't be that much different anyway when you compare frequency of buying between the two.

Our tofu costs about 6 dollars, from memory. But it's basically ready to be cooked straight away, marinated and everything, so I'm fine with paying a little extra so I don't have to do any prepping. (We're both working weird hours at the moment, so cooking stuff has sort of taken a backseat).

Chickpeas and lentils are usually 2 dollars a can, if we buy Australian and we do like to if we can.

Tempeh is about 4 dollars something.

With all that said... Even 5 or 6 dollars, for a packet that could make 3 meals? That doesn't seem all that expensive to me.

And you're absolutely right, people shouldn't be using faux stuff every day anyway.

#12 Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

A 16 oz tub of REALLY good fresh tofu costs $2.50. Just had it with panko and steak seasoning. LOL!

I love tofu so much, but only have it once, maybe twice a week.

It is so much cheaper to eat veg. People often lump vegan foods with the aisle of organic, gluten free, sugar free, and processed specialty foods.

Even when they know better that image seems to stay in their mind.

Funny how the big arguement is for eating "ethically" raised animals, organic and all being so much healthier. But in reality, no one does. That's what I dislike about the Michael Pollan thing. He gets people to think, but then they imagine...

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

It seems like Westerners are so conditioned to eat processed food that many just can't imagine life without it. Why replace bacon with 'facon' and turkey with 'tofurkey'? Why not replace bacon with spinach and discover a whole new world of flavor?

It is ironic that people avoid whole food diets because of the cost. For the price of 4 large pizzas you can buy an entire cart full of produce at the farmer's market. This diet would be perfect for binge eaters. They could stuff themselves with broccoli and carrots. Its a much better option than lap-band surgery...

khadijah and River like this.
#14 Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Johnny that is exactly how I feel!
#15 Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Ponyboy, I agree. I think I have had tofu 3 times in the past year. This association with vegans and tofu doesn't make since.
#16 Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny87 View Post

It seems like Westerners are so conditioned to eat processed food that many just can't imagine life without it. Why replace bacon with 'facon' and turkey with 'tofurkey'? Why not replace bacon with spinach and discover a whole new world of flavor?

It is ironic that people avoid whole food diets because of the cost. For the price of 4 large pizzas you can buy an entire cart full of produce at the farmer's market. This diet would be perfect for binge eaters. They could stuff themselves with broccoli and carrots. Its a much better option than lap-band surgery...

Yes yes yes yes yes. yes.gif

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#17 Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny87 View Post

Sure, except for the way mass quantities of vegetables tear through the gut like a runaway diesel. There is actually such a thing as too much fiber. Most people don't get enough, but past the optimum level we're likely to get cramping, diarrhea, nutritional malabsorption, intestinal gas, constipation (if not taking in enough water to move things along) and even intestinal blockage. Which, taken altogether, might be a fairly effective cure for binging. :D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page