My first weeks meals, transitioning back to vegan... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Anyone want to share as well?  I'm gonna post each day this week.  You should, too!  :)

Monday:

BF: 1/2 c oatmeal, 1 c almond milk, and a diced small apple, eaten cold.  Wish I had gotten almonds.

L: 1 cup homemade black beans with veggies and 1/3 c brown rice

D: 4 oz seared tofu sticks dipped in dijon mustard and 1.5 cups sauteed broccoli rabe with garlic

snacks: 1 pluot, 1 cup baby carrots

Bevs: 1 cup black coffee, 2 cups green tea, 1 cup red wine, 64 oz water

SadieP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to move this thread to the Transitioning to Vegan section, since I think it'll fit better there. 

I'm not currently going vegan, but I do eat a mostly plant-based diet.

This is what I ate today.

B: 2 whole wheat mini-bagels with Earth Balance and cherry preserves; a small serving of Southern-style grits; banana; V-8 Splash

L: Spaghetti with homemade vegan Parmesan; banana; water

S: Some potato chips

D: Indian Spicy Vindaloo with Cauliflower and Potatoes; brown rice; water

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay for you, runnerjenny! I have also been transitioning back to a vegan diet after switching to lacto-ovo for a while. Feels good to be back. A bit nervous because I live in a part of the US that does not have much of a demand for vegan products and services, which was what made it so difficult before. However, it is slowly getting easier for veg*ns to thrive in our community.

Lately I've been getting all of my fresh produce from a local farmer's market, and most of it has been pesticide-free! Cooking with truly fresh vegetables and fruits makes vegan cooking even more exciting than it already is.

Must admit, though, I bought two Amy's teriyaki bowls on Tuesday, and I've already eaten both of them. Frozen/processed vegan meals aren't always the healthiest things in the world, but they sure are convenient. :up:

Aristede likes this.

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 AM

Arg!  I dropped the ball.  :)  Time to play catch up.  

Tuesday:

B- Oatmeal, almond milk, and apple

L-  Black beans w veggies and brown rice

D-  Homemade spaghetti sauce (made with veggies and veggie crumbles) and whole wheat pasta 

Snack- Plum

Wednesday:

B- weird...but: tortilla chips and fresh salsa

L: Homemade Veg Chili and a slice of rye bread

D: Fresh salad w bacos and catalina dressing, tofu tossed with hoisin sauce, sauteed broccoli rabe w garlic <---- so. good.

snack: walnuts and a couple of triscuits

Thursday: 

B: cheerios and almond milk

L: Homemade veg chili and whole wheat pasta

D: Miso soup w siracha and garden salad w ginger dressing. <---Too much wine, not enough food.

snack: garden salad w catalina and bacos

Friday:

B- cheerios and almond milk

L- HM Spaghetti sauce and whole wheat pasta

D- Acorn Squash stuffed with black beans, tomato, brown rice, garlic, onion, cilantro, and nutritional yeast.  <---can't wait :)

snack- grapefruit, apple

Aristede likes this.
#5 Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I wondered where you had gone off to, but I figured that you just had gotten busy. You ate a very diverse and delicious-sounding menu during the week! You should feel extremely proud! Great job!

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#6 Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 PM

HI!  Saturday: this is bad but I *did* sleep until 11:00 so it's technically afternoon...

I had a BLOODY MARY alongside my scramble tofu.  I sauteed carrot, onion, corn, peas, cilantro, and salsa and crumbled tofu.  Ate it in a corn tortilla.

Then I roasted an acorn squash for lunch, and for dinner I made tacos for me and my friend using veggie crumbles.  I am so glad I can make vegan tacos.  :)

#7 Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM

And now Sunday!  It has been so easy to go back to my vegan way of eating, I haven't really even had to think about it, but I've embraced it more and more over the past 7 days and don't think I'll miss my mozzarella caprese salads as much as I thought I would.  I'll just have to marinate some soft/medium tofu in veggie broth and nutritional yeast and make it that way. :)  Any ideas?  I am such a sucker for basil and tomatoes and lavender balsamic.....

Anyway, my last report.  :)  Last night me and my friend really tied one on...fireball whiskey IS the devil.  I slept late and skipped breakfast.  Then my dad showed up around 12 to have lunch with me before he headed back to TN to work another week, so I went berserk trying to clean up my home and myself.  We ended up at Mellow Mushroom and I am so excited to discover that they have daiya cheese!  The bartender was even kind enough to bring me red sauce that came from the cooler because butter gets splashed into the container they normally draw from for calzones.  I had a calzone with vegan cheese, pineapple, onion, jalapeno, and tempeh.  Heaven.  I am so happy that there is veg*n awareness in my area.

:)

#8 Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Mellow Mushroom daiya pizzas are so good! (Not cheap though.) I've always wanted to try a calzone but we always end up getting this one veggie daiya pizza with balsamic drizzled on top. lick.gif
#9 Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

Yay for you, runnerjenny! I have also been transitioning back to a vegan diet after switching to lacto-ovo for a while. Feels good to be back. A bit nervous because I live in a part of the US that does not have much of a demand for vegan products and services, which was what made it so difficult before. However, it is slowly getting easier for veg*ns to thrive in our community.

Lately I've been getting all of my fresh produce from a local farmer's market, and most of it has been pesticide-free! Cooking with truly fresh vegetables and fruits makes vegan cooking even more exciting than it already is.

Must admit, though, I bought two Amy's teriyaki bowls on Tuesday, and I've already eaten both of them. Frozen/processed vegan meals aren't always the healthiest things in the world, but they sure are convenient. :up:

I'm sure if you can obtain fresh produce and dried beans and rice, you'll be just fine with some creativity and a good pot!  Good for you!!  I freaking LOVE farmer's markets.  I live in a condo so I don't really have much of a yard to grow my own produce, so when I go to the local produce stand I soooo appreciate the fresh fruit and vegetables that haven't been shipped for days.  And it's way cheaper.

And lemme tell ya...everyone deserves a cheat now and then!!  Amy's is yummy!  And processed or not, they are vegan.  :)

#10 Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM

yesterday i had

4 pears

1 small apple off the tree

toffee almonds

ceres juice

split peas, which was not very good! never try split peas and sesame seeds together. yuck! going to try some flavor boosting today to make it taste better.

dates and sesame seeds

#11 Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel View Post

split peas, which was not very good! never try split peas and sesame seeds together. yuck! going to try some flavor boosting today to make it taste better.

dates and sesame seeds

I've never tried that combination myself, but did you consider trying something like this recipe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page