Mood Swings?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM

As many of you know, I'm trying to reduce my dairy intake.  Normally, I drink a lot of full-fat milk and eat a lot of plain dairy-milk chocolate each day. In the last week or so, I've cut waaaaaay back, only having a sip of milk and two squares of chocolate after dinner.

In the same time frame I'm having HORRIBLE mood swings... I'm really unmotivated and irritable/snappy all the time, without any reason to be.  One minute I'm ok (not cheery, but ok) and the next the littlest thing makes me stroppy.

Has anyone else had this happen when cutting back on dairy and/or chocolate?   The chocolate cut back seems the more likely, as I reckon I do have a genuine "chocolate addiction" and some researchers say withdrawal symptoms etc. are possible ... I wondered if the same could be true of milk due to the hormones/morphine etc.?

PLEASE everyone... don't use this thread as another opportunity to list everything that's bad about milk.  Or all the alternatives there are.  I know all that and do understand.  I am ONLY asking people to share any info/experiences on mood swings/withdrawal from dairy and/or chocolate.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi LR.

I personally never had any problems giving up cows milk and dairy chocolate some years ago but I do appreciate that that's not everybody's experience. The only time I've had a problem giving up something  was when Mrs Leedsveg and I replaced caffeinated coffee with decaff and we both had headaches and felt 'under the weather' for about a week.

Hopefully, other forum members who've experienced withdrawal symptoms relating to cows milk/chocolate can give you useful information. It can't be much fun for you with the mood swings and I hope that things improve quickly.

Leedsveg

#3 Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

I always hated milk so can't say anything on that end, but I imagine what you've replaced the milk and chocolate with would be a relevant factor. It could, though I have no idea if there is evidence of this sort of thing, be due to the hormones in the milk and your body adjusting to less exogenous hormones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I know when I went vegan I didn't experience this, but I was never big on dairy.

If you think it may be the chocolate and not the glasses of milk, maybe try doing a greater amount of dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate.

It may also be a cycle thing. Have you ever experienced weird mood swings in common with a point in your cycle?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 09-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

I've always had chocolate cravings around the "monthly" time, but even more so with the dark, vegan anyway type, so I can't say anything for milk chocolate. I always found the higher cacao content to be the most satisfying. 

Even giving cheese didn't involve any withdrawals, just more like temper tantrums.

My best suggestion is try chocolate nondairy milk. Making hot cocoa with cocoa powder and I'd say esp. almond milk is really good!

As for mood swings, I'd say going without coffee ranks first for withdrawal! Chocolate also will do it, so go for dark without any dairy.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Not a Beginner

I've read quite a few things where people have made the connection between their mood swings and cutting out dairy. I didn't get mood swings, but I did have about 6 weeks of constant sinus headaches (apparently also not uncommon). If you google "dairy withdrawal" a ton of anecdotal accounts come up.
#7 Old 03-06-2017, 04:47 PM

Hi,
I keep getting anxiety and panic attacks when I give up dairy. I'm ok for a few weeks and then I start getting anxiety. So far I haven't met anyone that has had this problem either. I don't even drink milk. I drink soy or almond milk. I have cheese or yogurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page