Call me ignorant but... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM

I recently saw a video thanks to a helpful person on this forum and I was completely unaware of the things that had to happen to provide us with milk and eggs. Not that I know, I decided to make the transition to veganism from vegetarianism. I look on the label of everything I before I buy it and there are products I would of never known that had milk and eggs in it. It's more with milk. For example, I used to eat Morningstar "chicken" patties and it contains milk. All I could respond with was, "WHAT?! REALLY?" haha it's just so surprising. It's hard to find foods because I'm not very skilled in the kitchen and the only grocery stores nearby are Hannaford and Walmart. Hannaford has more options than Walmart to be honest. That is one difficulty. The other difficulty is not being able to eat my mom's sweets that she bakes. She did say that if I find the ingredients, she would make me a vegan dessert. It's just hard to find these ingredients. She recently made a rhubarb pie and the recipe has been handed down from her mother. I really miss it but my will is stronger than that. Anyone else have any problems like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

You might want to buy some vegan cook books (and give them to your mum, hee hee!).

I'm not a vegan, but I like to decrease my dairy and egg consumption where ever possible. 

I really love La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. She has a whole load of sweet foods that are vegan, plus some good recipes for 'creamy' sauces, that don't contain cream! I've tried a few things out of her book and they range in difficulty, but the yum is worth it!

Sometimes, it seems, using tofu (soft) is a good way to make certain cream based things.

As for eggs- There's a few tricks with chia seeds, but there's also a brand called 'No Egg' that's powder you can use in place of an egg. It even looks like egg white when you mix it with water!

Hope that helps.

#3 Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Give peas a chance

As far as cravings, I try to focus on the things I can have, rather than the things I can't. Sometimes I will be at my parents house and my mom will have something in the oven, and it will be unbearable. One time she was making a few batches of non-vegan chocolate cookies and the house smelled like chocolate and dozens and dozens were cooling on the table. I had to leave. I've always got something waiting at home... like homemade popsicles or berries and vegan cream, so that helps too.

That's cool that your mom will make stuff for you.

You might be interested in this recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen. The author wrote a book on vegan pies:

http://www.theppk.com/2011/05/strawberry-rhubarb-crumb-pie/

This is my pinterest board of photos of vegan recipes from blogs. If you click on the photos you will go to the blog that has the recipe.

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/vegan-recipes-from-blogs/

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

The convenience foods are fine at times, but they aren't high in nutrition.

Try to eat more FRESH RAW foods like sweet fruits and green leafy vegetables.  Green smoothies are great and a perfect combination of good fats, carbs, and protein.  :)

#5 Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Cookbooks and magazines are the way to learn about how to eat vegan.  You don't need exotic foods to keep it vegan.  The more whole the food, the easier it will be to find them.  Beans and legumes (dried or canned), whole grains from the bulk section or on the shelves if not flavored(such as rice, oats, bulgur, quinoa etc), fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds (raw is best as some trail mixes and roasted nuts are treated with gelatin and other animal ingredients) are all easily found at places like Wal-Mart.  I believe they even have almond milk at most places now, though when I was visiting a poor area of Texas the only plant based milk I could find anywhere was soy milk.  You can find coconut milk in cans in any store, including Walmart, and this is a staple for baking in place of condensed milk and creams.  Ground flaxseed or flax meal is a good substitute for eggs, as are things like bananas in place of eggs for pancakes, or canned pumpkin, or "buttermilk" made with a plant milk and lemon juice, or even cornstarch or plain peanut butter (without palm oil or hydrogenated etc just look for roasted peanuts and nothing else in the ingredients).  I have a book called "The Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutions" that I ordered online last year and it is very helpful when learning how to cook and bake without eggs, butter, milk, meat, etc. 

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Vegan-Food-Substitutions/dp/1592334415

You can learn all kinds of neat tricks for cooking and baking vegan style by really reading a lot of vegan blogs, cookbooks, magazines etc.  Even go to the recipes section here.  I like the "vegetarian Journal" because it has very simple and easy recipes that tend to be more economical and easy to find, and all of their recipes are vegan.  VegWeb is another awesome site for recipes and I used it a lot in the beginning because many of the recipes call for common ingredients that are not hard to find and use common dishes familiar to omnivores but vegan style.  "Oh She Glows" is a great blog with more whole ingredients as opposed to processed prepackaged vegan foods, which means it will be easier to find most of the foods.  I have cookbooks such as "Forks Over Knives" (uses very common easy to find ingredients but is heavy on the tofu), "Veganomicon", "The Joy of Vegan Baking" and many others.  Of course I am not a huge fan of cheese so I don't use the vegan cheeses much and I do know that they can sometimes be hard to find in mainstream groceries.  I do use nutritional yeast a lot which is a kind of natural cheese substitute (has a different kind of nutty taste but has a cheesy like flavor and makes a good sauce).  It is difficult to find in mainstream stores but can easily be ordered online and a little goes a long way so it lasts a long time.  Bob's Red Mill sells it online and has a recipe on how to make nutritional yeast cheese sauce.

I don't even use plant based butter much, such as Earth Balance (but it can be found at Wal Mart as I looked online).  Very occasionally I might use coconut oil for baking or greasing pans if needed because it is solid at lower temperatures, otherwise I sauté with water or vegetable broth (easily found at most groceries).  Walmart does have these foods as I just looked them up online (at least in some stores).  One of the things I have had trouble finding in mainstream stores (I am fortunate to have a Whole Foods Coop where I live) is commercial bread.  I did find one local bakery that makes bread without dairy or honey and uses only a few pure ingredients.  You can call around to bakeries and ask what they put in their breads and baked goods or look online to see if they list ingredients in their products too.  I also have used Ezekiel bread that you find in the freezer section that is vegan friendly though I see Walmart does not have it.  Thomas Plain style or New York style bagels are also vegan though not the healthiest, but are found in mainstream groceries.   For the most part I make my own batches of bread if I am going to eat bread which isn't often (though I love pancakes lol) but it only requires yeast, flour, water, and a tiny amount of sugar to feed the yeast (maple syrup, agave, turbinado sugar, molasses, coconut sugar, etc all work in place of white sugar and most are found at Wal mart).  I have numerous vegan recipe versions of pancakes, pies, crisps, etc that only involve a tweak here or there to make them vegan.  The internet is my best friend when I am looking for something in particular. 

When I have egg cravings I eat chickpea flour omelets or scramble or roast chickpeas with the types of veggies you would put in an omelet and seasonings to make it taste more eggy, such as turmeric, mustard powder, garlic powder, cumin, etc.  Tofu makes a nice "egg" scramble too (I can't eat tofu due to an allergy).  Chocolate pancakes vegan style takes care of chocolate cravings lol.  I have rarely craved nonvegan food over the last 2.5 years but I have craved yogurt and have had to find ways to satisfy my need for something thick and creamy (smoothies usually help or coconut or soy yogurt but I do understand those are hard to find and I have to travel for them).  Hope this helps!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Actually, for a long time, it was not generally known what usually happens to animals in the dairy and egg industries. I suppose it still isn't, but thanks to vegans, this is changing.

We have lots of recipes right here on VB, and members often comment on how they turned out. I also like to borrow cookbooks out of the library and copy the recipes which work for me. I borrow non-vegetarian cookbooks too- sometimes they have an occasional recipe which just happens to be vegan.

Welcome to the board!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

It is shocking to see how much dairy there is in everything. Having newly eliminated dairy from my diet, I am also surprised at just how much food is cooked or prepared with some dairy in it. From pizza bases to curries, veggie patties to soy cheese; there are a whole host of foods that as a vegetarian I ate without question but now I'm having to re-evaluate!

What surprises me is the number of foods that don't need dairy (like breads, chips, gum) and why they do this. I can only think that factory farming has made dairy so cheap that it is finding its way into many processed foods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page