Hi my name is jessica and i want to become vegan so bad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 AM

i am new to this page thing so im sorry if im in the worng section but i need help with a food list from online vegan stores since we have barley any vegan food down here unless walmart n target have some we r getting a mini fridge soon so if u could plz keep that in mind ty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Ann View Post

i am new to this page thing so im sorry if im in the worng section but i need help with a food list from online vegan stores since we have barley any vegan food down here unless walmart n target have some we r getting a mini fridge soon so if u could plz keep that in mind ty

What kind of things do you like to eat?  :)

Walmart and Target usually have produce and grocery sections.  Any whole produce (fruits and veggies) are fine.  You can probably find a pasta aisle with egg-free pasta and some veg sauces.  Rice(s) are fine.  Frozen fruits and veggies are fine.  You can probably find some canned or dried beans.  Keep it simple. :)

#3 Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Impeach the gangster

Hi Jessica Ann-

I have trouble shopping locally too, so I do some of my shopping online at VeganEssentials. They have a wide variety of all vegan products, not just food.

Welcome to VeggieBoards. Since you're wanting to go vegan, I'm moving your thread to the Transitioning To Vegan forum.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jessica, welcome to VB! hi.gif

This thread has a lot of great ideas for things to buy, and most of the suggestions can be found at any normal grocery store: https://www.veggieboards.com/t/81872/how-to-stock-your-kitchen-and-pantry-once-youve-removed-the-animal-flesh-products

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 PM

chicken nuggets ramen anything seafood

#6 Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok so you are getting a mini-fridge...what is your kitchen situation like? Do you have the ability to really cook/bake or do you just have a microwave? Because the answer will really determine what I would recommend buying!
#7 Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

There are some great mock chicken nuggets available. Even my Walmart has a couple of brands. Morning star and boca I think. Top ramen oriental flavor noodles are vegetarian. You can get veggie sushi that may help replace the seafood you like. My Kroger has a sushi bar...not sure about other stores.
#8 Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

well, maybe you can try to improve the processed, lack of color variety style of your diet with this new change.  :)

#9 Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

Top Ramen Oriental and chili flavor are vegan ramen.

http://www.nissinfoods.com/topramen/

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#10 Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Well, I understand about your local stores not having certain vegetarian products, the only products in my local stores are mostly morningstar and a few boca burgers. Can't find the boca nuggets and sausage though, seems my walmart and bilo stopped carrying them which stinks because most morningstar products have dairy and egg. The new morningstar mealstarters chikn strips are vegan though and I believe the meatballs are too. Whereas most of the boca line is vegan. I love gardein products but my bi lo stopped carrying those too grr.

Jessica, I'd recommend you stock up on a few cans of beans, they are a great source of protein for vegetarians and you can add them to salads or serve them over rice or noodles with some seasonings added. Try to find a few easy vegan recipes to start with that would  be easy to make with what you can fit in your mini fridge. Hope that helps:)

Oh and Walmart where I live carries the Amy's frozen meals and vegan chili in the can, that might help you if you shop at walmart and need some convenient meals.

#11 Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jessica,

I am also new here, but have been vegan for six years. I came here to converse with like minds and get away from the exhausting debates that continually arise when people find out I'm vegan.

Anyway, one thing I would recommend is experimenting with salads. My favorite salad is very simple--a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, red or green leaf lettuce, shredded carrots, tomatoes, garbanzo and kidney beans, avocado, and some toast on the side; however, because you're transitioning you may want to use your current favorite dressing (ranch, caesar, whatever) and try different combinations of greens and veggies, and eventually switch to a vegan dressing. There are also a lot of pastas and sauces that are vegan, as well as breaded and fried tofu recipes that mimic chicken nuggets/strips and can be had with a vegan tartar sauce made with vegenaise, sweet pickle relish, and a few spices. You should visit VegWeb too for some recipe ideas. 

Best of luck to you on your journey toward the awesome, compassionate life that is veganism!dancingbanana.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page