Any tips eliminating cheeeeese? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 AM

I've pondered the idea of progressing my vegetarian lifestyle to a vegan one.. but the biggest obstacle in my way is that stinkey cheese! I've tried different types of soy vegan cheeses, but they just aren't quite the same. I've heard of goji nut cheese, but can't seem to find any.

Anyways, I'm just interested how others went about removing this substance from their diet! And please don't tell me cold turkey, that'd be rough. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I've really only heard of cold turkey working properly.....

BUT, if that's not going to work for you, I'd suggest maybe you look at the kind of 'make your own' cheese substitutes out there, while you move away from cheese. So, maybe instead of buying a block of cheese one week, commit to making some vegan versions. That way, you might be able to phase out the real cheese into the vegan cheeze?

http://fatfreevegan.com/ has some 'creamy' sauces that don't contain dairy. You might also want to check out the Engine 2 diet, they're also linked on her website I think.

Just recently, I saw this lady featured on Huffington post and she makes her own vegan cheese which is pretty much meant to be like the 'real deal'. I'm definitely looking out her book! It sounds like she's pretty awesome.

Yes, it'll take more time. But you might really enjoy it. I recently made tofu 'feta' cheese, it was pretty good and it was fun.

#3 Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on your decision to start a vegan lifestyle! carrot.gif

As for cheese, I personally didn't have much of a choice since there weren't any vegan cheeses on the market when I turned vegan, so I had to just stop eating it. However, today is a different matter as cheese alternatives are becoming widely available.

If you want to and have time, Miyoko Schinner's book, Artisan Vegan Cheese, has a recipe for every single cheese you could possibly want. Most of them don't require a lot of hands-on work, but you need to wait for them to mature, depending on what cheese you decide to make. You can get the book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artisan-Vegan-Cheese-Everyday-Gourmet/dp/1570672830/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1369816098&sr=8-1

When I want something cheesy, I always make the cheesy sauce from Appetite for Reduction. It's so veratile, you can put it on pizza, use it in mac and cheese, as a sauce on steamed veggies etc. etc. Ingredients are basically just nutritional yeast, some flour, a little soy milk, spices and mustard. It takes literally 5 minutes to make.

I've sort of gotten used to not eating cheese, though I can understand that people want it! Btw, if you can get it, I've heard that Daiya is really good, so you might try that and see if you like it?

Good luck on your vegan journey! grin.gif

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 AM

One thing I've noticed is people comparing vegan substitutes to the "real thing".  My in-laws are big on this. They won't eat veggie burgers because it doesn't taste like meat. Well, of course it doesn't, because it isn't. I found that once I stopped comparing, it got better.That said, I've never been a fan of vegan cheeses.

Unfortunately, I'm going to say exactly what you didn't want to hear. Cold turkey worked best for me. Sorry!! lipsrsealed2.gif  I was vegetarian (went cold turkey one day, no more meat) for a few years before vegan and gooey, cheesy pizza was my staple. Almost a month ago I went cold turkey again, no more animal products. It was hard the first couple of weeks but it's been so much better lately.

Anyway, you have to find a way that works for you. Keep trying different vegan cheeses or recipes if that's what works. Good luck!

#5 Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Banned

Are there any dishes you eat that do not have cheese in them? Try eating those dishes more often and others that cheese is not usually a part of. Asian food for example.
#6 Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM

#7 Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I still eat cheese, but I have been looking at using alternatives lately. Not in shop bought form though. Is it cheese proper - chunks of, on crackers - that's the problem or is it mainly favourite cheese loaded dishes? If the former, homemade fermented nut-based cheese look like they're the way to go. If the latter then you should be able to find veganised alternatives out there to play with. For example if pizza is your enemy, check this thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/t/140335/what-do-you-put-on-your-vegan-pizza If it's macaroni cheese then there are lots of vegan recipes for dairy-free macaroni 'cheese' with rich cheesy sauces, they often use ingredients like cashews and nutritional yeast for mimicking the texture and flavour of actual cheese sauce. 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#8 Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyApple View Post

One thing I've noticed is people comparing vegan substitutes to the "real thing".  My in-laws are big on this. They won't eat veggie burgers because it doesn't taste like meat. Well, of course it doesn't, because it isn't. I found that once I stopped comparing, it got better.That said, I've never been a fan of vegan cheeses.

I agree with this. Lots of people compare veggie/vegan versions of food to the real deal, which of course won't result in much, because veg versions of food do taste different - IMO often better, but usually different. 

As for cheese... it's really hard. It was for me anyway. I never liked a ton of cheese, but melted cheddar was a major staple for me on lots of stuff like Mexican, in grilled cheeses, on potatoes and so on, so I was really used to it.

Honestly I tried both ways - weening off cheese slowly and quitting cold turkey. Weening off in no way worked for me, and believe me, I tried MANY times over many years. Finally, last summer I just flat out quit cold turkey. The reason weening off didn't work for me was because I'd keep cheese around (because I was quitting slow) and it was too easy to eat it. Going cold turkey was really, really tough for about a few weeks, then it just got easy. Once I quit eating it for a while, I actually quit wanting it. 

That said, I used other tactics to get around the cheese issue, because it was hard to quit and I hate vegan cheese so that was not an option for me. Below is what helped me...

• I made some choices about stuff I could eat instead of cheese. For example, more salsa on Mexican food or cashew sauce on pasta. I replaced the cheese I used to eat with other foods that were just as good. 
  • I found one or two vegan cheese dishes I did like so when an actual cheese craving hit, I'd be covered. I do not like vegan cheese but I did manage to find two vegan cheese dishes that I feel are good - Annie's vegan mac & cheese and homemade twice baked potatoes using a very tiny amount of Daiya Cheddar Style Wedge, which is gross plain, but okay melted in small amounts. 
  • I reminded myself often about how gross the cheese industry is. Blah. 

Overall I really believe food is a major habit. We have the ability to change our taste buds and eating habits, we just don't often decide to do so. It would have been a lot easier to go on eating melted cheddar on stuff, but I made a distinct choice not to and stuck to it. Like any new habit it was hard but, eventually, after not eating cheese for a while, my taste buds and body got on board with what my brain was thinking. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#9 Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Amazzingg the support you can receive on this site! Thank you all soo much. Looks like cold turkey might be the burden I'll have to bare. Milk and eggs aren't going to be a problem for me, but cheese is like the last thing that's holding me back.. tongue3.gif I often use it like a condiment, on a myriad of different foods. Mozzarella sticks are a FAV of mine, and just straight up eating cheese on crackers, and pretzels is good. But sooner or later I'll ween myself off the cheez, or just stop one day and not look back!

And I'll definitely be trying out some of those recipes some time soon!
#10 Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Poo Pie Head

We used to be heavy daiya users, but it ended up making us sick, so we are now heavy heavy users of nutritional yeast. Works great in a number of things, and can be made to be "melty" as someone above mentioned. Mixed in with casseroles or used to coat popcorn or thrown on salads works as a decent cure for cravings. (vegan "Smartfood" is awesome, just spray some olive oil on popcorn then mix in nutritional yeast and some salt, good way to find out if you will like nutritional yeast too)
#11 Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If you like feta, try the cashew nut 'feta' from Vegan Eats World. Its super easy to make and tastes amazing - even my omni bf thought it was great. It obviously hasn't got the same texture but the salty flavour is there and its great to top Med-inspired salads :)

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#12 Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I sort of ate less and less of it, and eventually I stopped eating it altogether. Not "cold turkey"... I guess it was more like what you'd call "cool turkey" or "room-temperature turkey"?...

What might help: try to nail down exactly what you miss about cheese, and figure out what foods might substitute for this. Supposedly cheese has mood-altering substances in it that explains its addictiveness, but I haven't found this to be the case. When I think of cheese, I basically think of something that's appealing in a kind of savory, kind of fatty, kind of salty way, with a certain texture (although texture isn't really that important to me).

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#13 Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I was a huge cheese lover, and I have to admit that I'm still searching for the perfect cheese substitute. But I have found lots of substitutes that are yummy and satisfying in their own right. As others have said, don't expect it to be a perfect replica. I slowly cut down on the amount of cheese I used, while incorporating some simple substitutions like nutritional yeast and seasoned salt in place of parmesan on pasta. I have a homemade cashew cheese powder that I keep on hand for things like mac and cheese (google Dragonfly's bulk uncheese mix from vegweb), which is very tasty and easy to make in the microwave. I also like to eat creamy fatty things instead of cheese - for example a nice dollop of guacamole on a burrito, or hummus and crackers.

I have grown to like some vegan cheeses like Daiya, Galaxy vegan slices, and Follow Your Heart -- they aren't exactly like cheese, but they are tasty and convenient to put on pizza, quesadillas, etc. it might take some experimentation -- not everyone loves every brand.
#14 Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM

I was goin to suggest Daiya or some other like soy cheese. I haven't yet found a non soy cheese I care for. The one at trader joes does not melt well and that's a show stopper for me.
#15 Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Exactly Dungjoy! The product I have right now is Follow Your Heart vegan cheese and it wouldn't melt on my veggie burgers the other night. But I'll admit that the "cheese" is decent among other flavours!(Tomatoe, spinich, onion)

Even though I still enjoy eating cheese, and often feel guilty about it. The smell has become more pungent, and bizarre.. haha is that a symptom I'm gradually starting to get over it? And thanks again everyone for the replies, and insight!
#16 Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Most vegan cheeses require a higher temperature/longer heating time to melt -- Follow Your Heart is a little more difficult to melt than Daiya. They won't generally melt by just placing them on top of something hot, unfortunately.
#17 Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM

It's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with it!!  I've been trying to rid cheese of my diet for months now.  I'm fine with eliminating all other dairy in my diet, and soy milk is way better than any cow's milk to me now.  

But the cheese...I've tried every brand out there and even making my own and I hate it all.  So much that I can't eat more than a few bites of something before chunking it in the trash and going to the store for something else.  I've tried slowly easing out of it.  I've tried cold turkey.  After a few days, I ALWAYS go back to a big ole cheese pizza.  They say the longer and more you eat other foods, the less you crave the "real" stuff....I hope it happens one day finally!

#18 Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I had one really specific problem getting over cheese, and that was at wineries. A little alcohol, lowered inhibitions, diminished judgment, stimulated appetite. A perfect storm. Plus I live in the middle of wine country, so wineries are practically a weekly ritual. A fake cheese wasn't going to cut it for me but I wanted something good to put on crackers while drinking wine. I've settled on olive tapenade, which tastes and looks nothing like cheese, real or fake, but goes great on crackers and great with wine. For me tapenade has good, deep, complex flavors, it's good on its own merits. That's what I'd suggest you experiment with for any cheese substitute. Get something that tastes good to you on its own merits, not necessarily a fake version of the thing you want to replace. Hummus scratches the same itch sometimes as cheese too, though it wouldn't work on something like pizza. smiley.gif  On pizza, I'd go with either a small amount of fake cheese, or just no cheese and no substitute.

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#19 Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

I had one really specific problem getting over cheese, and that was at wineries. A little alcohol, lowered inhibitions, diminished judgment, stimulated appetite. A perfect storm. Plus I live in the middle of wine country, so wineries are practically a weekly ritual. A fake cheese wasn't going to cut it for me but I wanted something good to put on crackers while drinking wine. I've settled on olive tapenade, which tastes and looks nothing like cheese, real or fake, but goes great on crackers and great with wine. For me tapenade has good, deep, complex flavors, it's good on its own merits. That's what I'd suggest you experiment with for any cheese substitute. Get something that tastes good to you on its own merits, not necessarily a fake version of the thing you want to replace. Hummus scratches the same itch sometimes as cheese too, though it wouldn't work on something like pizza. smiley.gif  On pizza, I'd go with either a small amount of fake cheese, or just no cheese and no substitute.

Tapenade is such a good call.

Aioli (garlic mayo with egg-free mayo), Gomasio (Japanese sesame salt), Guacamole (mexican avocado dip), Hummous (middle-eastern chickpea dip), Toum (middle0eastern garlic dip), Pesto (basil, nut and oil dip - sans cheese), Duxelles (french mushroom reduction), Babaganoush (middle-eastern aubergine dip), Tahini (middle-eastern sesame paste) - all of these 'real food' vegan options could be applied instead of cheese (or indeed fake cheese) depending on context.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#20 Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM

It's reassuring that I'm not the only one who has, or is struggling with this! It's soo strange, I'm not exactly sure what it is about cheese that I like soo much but its's just tough cutting it out. Definitely a lot harder than it was stopping my meat consumption! But..

Hummus and tahini are some of my new favorites! And this tapenade sounds interesting. Do you guys make your own, or is it something you buy?

I would have to agree wine and cheese is extra delicious.. even though I'm a year under the drinking age grin.gif shhhh! But I seriously need to experiment more with some of these other flavours and options you guys have suggested.
#21 Old 06-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

I slowly quit. When I first committed to no meat, no egg, I still bought things with dairy ingrediants, and still allowed some cheese. Then I phased out the ingredients. Then only take out pizza with cheese.

While I was still at that phase I experimented with sauces, gravies, homemade pizza. Daiya is the only vegan cheese I like- and I love the cheddar for grilled cheese!

Daiya has no soy BTW, and does freeze well.

Garlic, olives, artichokes are things that "replace" cheese for me. I'm not a huge of nut. yeast, but do love a lot in the sauce I make. I add dijon mustard, lemon juice, and garlic to the usual recipe.

Raw cashews make a great sauce/ dip. Again, things like roasted garlic, even horseradish add to the depth of flavor.

Just because you care for things now, don't despair. My tastes have changed, and my cooking skills have definitly changed!

OOOOH! I got Miyoko Schinners Artisan Vegan Cheese from the library-but too lazy to make any!

La Grenouille on this site has mentioned making the mozzerella and loving it! They really sound amazing, and not too much trouble, just a prolonged time in making.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#22 Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Tiger Lily-- was that feta you made with the tofu marinated in miso and wine?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#23 Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Many people are addicted to the casomorphins in foods containing casein. That is why you hear people say, "I love my cheese." What they really mean is, "I am addicted to cheese."

I wonder if items like Daiya make it more or less likely that vegans who once "loved their cheese" will revert to being "cheese loving" omnis again. I never cared for cheese in the first place, and vegan cheese analogues never appealed to me either. To each his own. I am sure that many others find Daiya products to be "yummy".

#24 Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM

I guess the first step to recovery is admitting that I have an addiction!

Hello. My names Keenan, and I'm addicted to cheese..

:P

I'm obviously not ready to be vegan yet.. but I've only been veg for around 6 months, soo sooner or later I'll be determined to take the next step!
#25 Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Can veg*ans go "cold turkey"? I'd think it'd be more along the lines of "cold tofu" or "cold zucchini" or "cold celery". Something like that. tongue3.gif

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#26 Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 PM

"Cold, water logged tofu!" cx haha tofu's a completely different food before you prepare it.
#27 Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Can veg*ans go "cold turkey"? I'd think it'd be more along the lines of "cold tofu" or "cold zucchini" or "cold celery". Something like that. tongue3.gif
cold tofurky smiley.gif
Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#28 Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM

^Genius^
#29 Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post

^Genius^

Which one, mine (cold tofu) or Zirpkatze (cold tofurkey)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

cold tofurky smiley.gif

Thanks.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#30 Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Here's some good vegan versions of "stinky" cheese:
No Moo Vegusto piquant (http://www.veganonline.com.au/refrigerated/mock-dairy/vegusto-no-moo-piquant-cheese)

Sheese (http://www.buteisland.com/a_sheese_home.htm) the best is smoked, but it isn't as strong as the Edam and the Strong Cheddar. They do a blue as well, but I never liked blue so haven't yet braved it (I may one day!).

The other thing that works well are strong flavoured cream cheeses. I'm not sure if you can get this globally, but these have truffle oil in them and are ABSOLUTELY incredible. Had it yesterday for the first time and almost died of happiness: http://botanicalcuisine.com/walnut-cream-cheese/ Botanical Cuisine does a whole range including desserts (which are also great).

Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page