Need help with household products. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm currently a vegetarian, for a year now and have cut most animal products out of my diet and want to make a full vegan commitment. The only thing is, I have a hard time with household items, from what the products shouldn't contain to just all around vegan type products. Ugh, if only I didn't live with extreme meat eaters, I'll certainly get mocked for this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

This might help http://www.veganmainstream.com/thats-not-vegan-ten-household-items-under-the-radar I completely understand as I am still trying to keep unsafe and animal products out of my home and I've been vegan awhile.I hope it helps.Good Luck!hi.gif

#3 Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Number 1 tip with going vegan with any products- Carmine and cochineal, same thing. It's bugs.

Not sure where you are in the world so this particular product lines may not be available to you, some may contain palm oil which might not be your cup of tea....

But I use Earth One for dish washing and laundry detergents/softeners. We use Orange power for spraying on most things, Organic Care for shampoos, conditioners, body wash, Sukin for face wash and moisturiser, Innoxa for my sunscreen and BB cream.

All are vegan and pretty cheap. Oh and they work! I'm fairly certain any that use palm oil, do so as part of a sustainable palm oil farming project.

Another way you can check what products to use, is to look on cruelty free sites. I'm in Australia so I use this one-

http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/

They list not only the cruelty free brands, but the brands that have vegan products. (Not all brands have EVERYTHING vegan, so you have to check the packaging!)

Hope that helps and good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks you everyone who has posted regarding to my dilemma! I appreciate it. I actually just opened a housecleaning business and found a great brand called method. All vegan and eco friendly. c':
#5 Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I use plain old white vinegar on windows and mirrors (in a spray bottle) and it works amazingly well although the smell takes getting used to.  I have used washing soda as a scouring agent for residue in the bathtub and also lemon juice (mixed with water it gets my kitchen floor clean too).  Tea tree pure essential oil makes a nice disinfectant also (I have used it for everything from my hair to the toilet).  I used to make my own laundry detergent but with time as an issue I started using Seventh Generation (also for dishwashing liquid).  

For my hair, for the last two years I have used this simple shampoo/conditioner I make (keeping in mind I have very short but very thick hair so I don't know how it would work on long thin hair):

I use a 20 ounce glass bottle and fill it with water, then add a few drops of pure tea tree essential oil in it, and a tablespoon or so of Dr. Bronners vegetable liquid soap.  It will last me a month and then I make another batch.  I only wash my hair three times a week.

For the conditioner, I use another glass bottle and do the same but no vegetable soap and use lavender pure essential oil and water.  I still have the same pure essential oil bottles from two years ago so they last a very long time.  I still get my hair trimmed at a hair dresser and she has never told me my hair is too dry or oily.  In fact more than likely it is healthier without alcohol, dyes, fragrances etc lathered in it.

Soap...I use bars of Kirk's Castile soap for my body. 

I am a minimalist when it comes to what I put on my body.  I do not wear makeup (rarely ever have) and I can't tolerate perfumes and colognes (even being near them makes me very nauseated and dizzy).  Even as far as sunblock, I stopped using it when I went vegan until I found a vegan brand (Kiss My Face) but I found that using far less of it helped improve my vitamin D levels (I have them tested once or twice a year).  If I know I am going to be in the sun a long time, such as riding my bike or canoeing, I will either use the vegan sunblock or wear a hat and long sleeve light clothing. 

Hope this helps!  I don't have kids or a lot of pets so I haven't had to do a lot of heavy duty cleaning but I defintely found that vegan cooking means far less grease in the kitchen!  :)

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

I found that using cornstarch in a vinegar/ water mix for glass really helps it clean and shine! I put a teaspoon in a 32 oz. bottle of 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar/water.

I'm putting orange peels in a jar with vinegar to add fragrance. Don't know how well that's gonna work!

Repurposed aluminium foil- foil is so great for scrubbing metal along with baking soda. 

When I use a fresh lemon I'll scrub stuff with a 1/2 sprinkled with salt.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page