New to Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Today I have made the transition from  pesco- vegetarian to Vegan.  No more testing the waters. I am hoping this will be an easy transition. I feel happier that I made this decision.

I bought a few unknown foods to me and was wondering if someone can give me some suggestions for them.

I wanted to try some new things. Today I bought some quinoa (?),  barley(?),  milled golden flax (?), and lots of beans, (navy, chic peas, peas, pinto).  What can I do with the beans besides soup?

I also bought some tofu. I have never used this before but I bought some stir fry veggies and thought of making a stir fry with it. Would that work?

Thanks

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Beans - cook them, mash them, add seasonings to taste, eat them with quinoa or rice or pasta or bread or in tortillas, or just with other vegetables. Curry spices make bean curry, Mexi spices make Tex-Mex beans, Italian seasonings make an Italian dish.

Add some flax and mold the beans into a loaf or patties, fry them and eat them as you would a burger.

Tofu - if it's firm, just toss them in with the stirfry, If it's softer tofu, you can use it as you would eggs.

Quinoa is cooked basically like rice, boil in water (or veggie broth) until it's puffed up somewhat. If you pre-soak barley, it doesn't take too long to cook. Also, use as you would rice.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#3 Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Zelda Freak

Stir fry with the tofu is an excellent idea. Press it first so it's firmer (place it between two heavy plates) and you may want to marinate it after you press it too - in a basic stir fry sauce or in some olive oil and garlic. Here are some stir fry sauce recipes - https://www.veggieboards.com/t/10772/stir-fry-sauce

As for beans, you can cook the pinto, though I usually use black, then heat them up with tomatoes, corn, some diced onions and bell peppers, a dash of lime juice, a dash of salt and cumin and wrap a tortilla around it. You can also marinate some tofu in salsa and add that to your tortilla. 

I add ground flax to EVERYTHING. Sauces, cereal, pizza dough, homemade cookies and lots of other stuff. It tastes really good and you won't notice it. 

There are tons of bean minded recipes in the recipe area here at VB to help you out to (along with quinoa recipes). https://www.veggieboards.com/f/36/recipes

PS congrats on going vegan!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Can you make burgers with any bean? Navy, black, chic?
#5 Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Khan View Post

Can you make burgers with any bean? Navy, black, chic?

If you can mash it, you can turn it into a burger patty. :D

Flax makes a good binding agent.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#6 Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Keep the flax refrigerated! I buy it whole, and grind as needed. Excellent replacement for egg when you need a binder that's "heavy". 

I like to use wheat gluten to help hold burger together, as well as seitan. I also like to add something like bulgar for texture.

Get to know your beans. They are interchangable (I can't think of when they're specific, at least), but textures are quite different.

Canned beans are great to have on hand, and they are all very different! For instance, I'll buy Aldis black beans just for burgers because they're so mushy! Always rinse.

Tofu is very different, just like soymilk brands. If you have a Trader Joes get their extra firm! My fave! But there are many other good ones.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 AM

I used to have a recipe for an awesome mock tuna salad recipe, but I can't find it now.  Still, I know there are recipes on this site for mock tuna salads that I'm sure you'll love.  You can do tons of things with beans! Congrats, by the way!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page