How to NOT be a “Junk Food” Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

http://myveganjournal.com/?p=4115

Quote:

I have the biggest sweet tooth of any vegan I know. I really do. I will drive miles and miles for good vegan soft~serve ice cream, and I could eat vegan cupcakes all day long if I had them! I LOVE SWEETS!
But I often get emails from people asking me for help because they are new to being vegan and suddenly find themselves eating lots and lots of sugar and processed foods. They thought they were going from being a lazy carnivore to a vibrant and vivacious vegan when all of a sudden they feel like a big blob.
Im dedicated to being healthy! But Ive found myself right in the predicament that I swore I never would be: a junk food, processed food vegan. Its killing me. Help! (writes a MVJ fan)

Well, heres the scoop! What Ive learned is that if I dont have highly processed & sugary sweet vegan foods in the house, I dont eat them. And If I make the time to prepare yummy & healthy foods, I eat them. And enjoy them! Its that simple.
Dont buy the junk. Or at least not too much of it. Violence begins with your fork and junk food veganism begins with the shopping cart.

I really like this blog post so I thought I'd share, I'm making a commitment to a healthier lifestyle this spring so I read it at the perfect time. I also have a giant sweet tooth and I can be a little lazy so I have a tendency to live on vegan junk food and not exercise if I let myself. This is the kick in the ass I need to eat more fruits and veggies, buy less processed crap and exercise more.

This extends to the products I use too, I've been getting more concerned about the ingredients in my household cleaners and makeup and such, I want to make sure that the things I put on my skin or use to clean my house are not only vegan but also as natural as possible. I'm going to start cleaning with vinegar more and moisturize with coconut oil rather than scented crap.

When I first went vegan all I was worrying about was not eating/using/wearing animal products and I wasn't too concerned about health stuff, and I think that was an okay choice for me because it made it easier to stick with. But now that I'm so comfortable with it I feel like I can take things a step further. I don't want to be an athlete or anything but having more energy and endurance would be pretty awesome, I want to stop being a vegan couch potato and become a vegan.... uh.... what's an energetic vegetable? I want to be a mountain climbing stalk of kale!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM

I hear you!

Lucky me, I'm a stay at home mom, so I have time to make everything from scratch (even our bread, but not ALWAYS). But in the past I would cook on Sunday a big batch of good food and freeze it in individual portions. That way, you end up with different kinds of meals over time which you can reheat in a pinch. You know what's in them, and you know they're healthy. Same goes for muffins, they freeze really well, and you've always got an easy snack or breakfast available. Plus, I find that smoothies are the best thing in the world! You can put almost anything in there! Mmm, banana-avocado-soy...

And it's true that if you don't have junk food in your pantry, you can't be tempted.

Every night, I scrub my face with a damp cloth (just water), dry it, and dab on some apple cider vinegar. It's the best thing in the world to treat greasy, acne-prone skin, and it costs next to nothing! In the morning, again just water, and an organic blueberry eye cream hand-made by a native artisan. I've used a few of her products once I got to know her and her methods. Maybe you can find a small organic business for your creams?

Go kale!
#3 Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 AM

Great post Werewolf Girl!

Getting back to wholefoods and health is the best move a person can make IMHO. It leads to feeling better and looking better, becoming the kind of vegan who, by their very presence, inspires others to go cruelty free!

Hi-carb, lo-fat, hi-raw Vegan - Look me up on YouTube!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Never!

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish the "no junk food in house = no junk food consumption" was true for me. But I find if there is none, I end up on auto pilot driving to get it. And if I am out I will always end up buying it so it is hard not to buy it. *Sigh*. I need one of those sadistic personal trainers with me 24/7 for me to get healthier.
#6 Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 AM

I can record some messages on an mp3 and send it to you so you can listen 24/7, Freesia! Hehe...

''Listen up! You want that junk food? Do you? Well, you can't have it! Keep driving! And drop and give me 50 right now just for thinking about it! Go go go!''
#7 Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Since I started buying the pre-rinsed, organic greens, my salad consumption has skyrocketed.
#8 Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlkin View Post

I can record some messages on an mp3 and send it to you so you can listen 24/7, Freesia! Hehe...

''Listen up! You want that junk food? Do you? Well, you can't have it! Keep driving! And drop and give me 50 right now just for thinking about it! Go go go!''

If only! That actually sounds like kind of a good idea : ) .
#9 Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Since I started buying the pre-rinsed, organic greens, my salad consumption has skyrocketed.

Me too! If I'm hungry, I want easy peasy.
#10 Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been trying to eat just a tiny bit healthier and exercise more. It's only barely working. I think I broke my leg from running too much or something.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#11 Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM

I get weekly organic produce from a local farm (imported organic produce when in winter and spring). My family needs to eat everything because I do not want to waste, and there are a lot of fruits and veggies in those baskets!
#12 Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

If only! That actually sounds like kind of a good idea : ) .

I'll work on my sadistic voice, then! *ahem*
#13 Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

^ I will imagine you are one of the Biggest Loser coaches. : )
#14 Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Your goal sounds similar to mine. I have been eating a primarily whole-foods diet for a while, to the point that white rice at a restaurant kinds feels like junk food to me. Now that I have begun my vegan transition, I am trying to be even better about it. I have transitioned my beauty products to natural options and I am working on getting active again, now that the weather is getting nicer.

Gradual progressions in the right direction might be easier to stick with. Rather than eradicating all the junk food and processed foods from your house, cut down your consumption over time, or replace the sweet treats with healthier alternatives. Each time I grocery shop, I allow myself to buy one junk food item, so I don't feel totally deprived. Being active helps too, your body starts craving the foods it needs more than the foods it wants.
#15 Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlkin View Post

I get weekly organic produce from a local farm (imported organic produce when in winter and spring). My family needs to eat everything because I do not want to waste, and there are a lot of fruits and veggies in those baskets!

I can't deal with fruits and veggies going to waste. I cringe whenever I hear or see people throw away produce because they never ate it and allowed it to rot away. I waste nothing!

It makes me sad that some people don't truly appreciate how wonderful fruits and veggies are. They seem to take for granted the fact that they have these things abundantly available to them when others do not.
#16 Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I use my rice cooker a lot. I cook my grains like savory rolled grains for breakfast or lunch. This is a mix or rye, spelt, hulled millet and buckwheat groats that I make myself and then I add nutritional yeast, cumin, chili powder, and various other spices, then I cook in my rice cooker. I use my rice cooker to steam veggies as well. I rarely eat any "manufactured" food even veg*n. On occasion I do have a veggie patty or veggie dog. My food is all grains, seeds, roots, leaves, fruit etc. No oil, no sugar -- maybe a bit of white flour in bread because I still buy bread. To sweeten, I use stevia. Not sure how safe this is. I try to get high grain bread, but sometimes I fall a bit short. Sometimes I will eat canned foods, but they can only contain 2 ingredients -- that item and water. Since I am still transitioning to vegan food, I was having some problems giving up cheese and eggs. Now, I think I have kicked the habit.

I do not have a sweet tooth-- thank the elements-- I have a crunchy/grease/salty tooth and so getting away from crunchy dry salty snack food has been a problem. I see that I can air pop pop corn, and put nutritional yeast on it, making a good snack. Salad dressings are also a problem. I love salad, and formerly loved putting massive amounts of cheesy dressing on it. I've been using balsamic vinegar, and it is not doing it for me. Maybe I will get used to this.

I also eat a lot of cruciforms, like cabbage and cauliflower. A typical meal for me (what I ate last night) would be steamed sweet potatoes and cauliflower with a side of spicy quinoa pilaf, and an avacado/onion/tomato salad, and a few tangerines for dessert.
#17 Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I can't deal with fruits and veggies going to waste. I cringe whenever I hear or see people throw away produce because they never ate it and allowed it to rot away. I waste nothing!

It makes me sad that some people don't truly appreciate how wonderful fruits and veggies are. They seem to take for granted the fact that they have these things abundantly available to them when others do not.

The story of me and broccoli.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#18 Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I have such a hard time not wasting produce.
#19 Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

A few good tricks not to waste anything:

Carrot/beet/any root veggie leaves can be eaten in a salad. I keep the peels, bruised spots and such of veggies (I have to peel brocoli stems for my daughter because it is too tough, for example, or whenever I peel carrots) in a container in the freezer. When it is full, I cook it with water and strain it = homemade veggie broth!

Fruit that are bruised or that are ripe but I do not have time to eat, I will cut into pieces and put in another container (without the cores/stems) and when that one is full, I make a fruit compote!

If waste is a bad habit for you, the freezer should become your best friend! You can freeze just about any vegetable and fruit. If, say, your brocoli is about to go bad, cut it up, freeze it, and use it in a later meal just as you would with fresh.

I haven't gotten around to composting yet, but I'll wait until I have an actual yard (this June).

Fruits and veggies are the bounty of our mother!
#20 Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

The story of me and broccoli.

If you weren't an ocean away, I'd say send them to me!
#21 Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

The only problem is that I almost never eat vegetables, so when I actually buy them, the thought of using them never comes up in my head.

And it's not that I dislike them or anything, it's just that I get full on other food.

#22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM

My nutritionnist brainwashed me! Veggies = 50% of my plate. 25% grain and 25% protein.
#23 Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine is like 50% grain and 50% protein.

Well, unless one considers beans and pulses to be vegetables, which I'm sure it isn't.

#24 Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Pretty sure they fall in the protein category. Make yourself some morning smoothies to boost your veggie intake!

My favorites:

1 avocado, 1 banana, soy milk, silken tofu, maple syrup and vanilla extract
1 banana, 1 mango, 1 bunch spinach, soy milk and silken tofu
1 bunch strawberries, 1 bunch kale, soy milk and silken tofu

The possibilities are endless!
#25 Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, but I better put some protein powder in there as well.

I never shy from a challenge though, so I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

#26 Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Yay! You can do it!
#27 Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I have such a hard time not wasting produce.

Stew! Or freeze.
#28 Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Ahh... my famous ''end of the veggie basket'' stews...
#29 Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

My mother keeps buying produce and forgetting about it. So annoying. Im going to make a curry with her "forgotten" stuff today.
#30 Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

As I'm reading this my fiance brings me home

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...9evco1_500.png

lawllllzzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page