Decadent Western Vegetarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is it that so many vegetarians hold themselves up as moral paragons, simply because they don't eat meat, enjoy irritating hunters or prefering pleather to leather? Yet they have sex outside marriage, condone lying, worship material possessions, look at photos of women with their breasts uncovered, encourage people to harass law-abiding citizens and commit a myriad of other sins and wrongs as bad as, if not worse, than flavouring your soup with chicken stock rather than vegetable stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

You are generalizing. Not all Western Veg*ns participate in the things you mentioned.

Besides, morality is relative.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

cos they're human, and humans are complex and imperfect creatures?

i think maybe some people have different moral standards than you, and that some people put themselves on a pedastool of their own making, cos thats where they wanna be, and being there makes them happy.

or maybe they don't feel that looking at breasts or having sex out of wedlock are immoral. i certainly don't. and i've never worshipped stuff from the shops, but that doesn't mean i don't like pretty things, they're just not on an altar in my house, probably cos there aint an altar in my house, and cos they're just pretty things.

i don't put myself on a pedastool, cos heights make me dizzy, and i might fall off. but i certainly don't think i'm a terrible person either. it doesn't really bother me how holier- than- thou anyone else wants to be- they can carry on as far as i care. :shrug:

so where are these 'so many vegetarians' wearing these 'moral paragon' stickers? is this just a vegetarian thing, or are other people a bit egocentric and prone to hypocrisy and being judgmental of others choices and actions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

I agree with the people that posted above.

Princess Peach;

Where are you from?
#5 Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I would agree with you a bit tangentially on part of what you said, OP. I don't see most vegetarians doing much better than their surrounding community at eschewing materialism. We just have different products and services we can't live without than some of what our non-veg friends and family enjoy. I consider myself to be a very bad offender when compared to mindful vegetarians in the Third World. (Comparing myself to other First-Worlders would be silly.)

But as for the rest of your post... I think it comes down to what one considers to be the worst things a person can do. For some, the worst things a person can do are in the sexual realm, while for others, it's about not contributing to the death of any creature.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

What is this Sin you speak of? Its a term I am not familiar with.
#7 Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate most Western vegetarians for other reasons, people who know me or my thought processes know precisely why.
#8 Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post

look at photos of women with their breasts uncovered,

OMG, the horror!!
#9 Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I look at women with their breasts uncovered all the time.
#10 Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I hate most Western vegetarians for other reasons, people who know me or my thought processes know precisely why.

I do not know you or your thought processes. Would you care to share with us?

Thank you!
#11 Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread makes me laugh. Not everyone shares your morals.
#12 Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Why is it that so many vegetarians hold themselves up as moral paragons, simply because they don't eat meat, enjoy irritating hunters or prefering pleather to leather? Yet they have sex outside marriage, condone lying, worship material possessions, look at photos of women with their breasts uncovered, encourage people to harass law-abiding citizens and commit a myriad of other sins and wrongs as bad as, if not worse, than flavouring your soup with chicken stock rather than vegetable stock.

Sex outside of marriage isn't wrong especially if marriage isn't part of your belief system. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to marry most of the men I've slept with.

I don't lie and I try to avoid people who do it. I like living a simple life with as few material possessions as possible....you'll never find a big screen tv in my house.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pictures of topless women. In fact I think its discrimination that men can go topless on hot days and women can't. Some men have bigger breasts than a lot of women, yet they can show them.

Everyone has different standard of morality and other people aren't evil if they don't follow yours.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#13 Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I dislike them for entirely different reasons also. But I am not here to bash them.
#14 Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM

How is having breasts uncovered, or having sex before marriage, "worshiping" () materail objects hurting anyone else? Oh, wait, it isn't.

Eating meat, hunting, using animal skin for clothes is killing.
#15 Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Yet they have sex outside marriage, condone lying, worship material possessions, look at photos of women with their breasts uncovered, encourage people to harass law-abiding citizens and commit a myriad of other sins and wrongs as bad as, if not worse, than flavouring your soup with chicken stock rather than vegetable stock.

Loads of eastern vegetarians do the "sins" you mentioned as well.
#16 Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I dislike them for entirely different reasons also. But I am not here to bash them.

PG, you're my favorite.
#17 Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

How is having breasts uncovered, or having sex before marriage, "worshiping" () materail objects hurting anyone else? Oh, wait, it isn't.

Eating meat, hunting, using animal skin for clothes is killing.

Chelsea, you KNOW I love you too.
#18 Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

PG, you're my favorite.

LOL you must be drunk!

But I like you to and have missed you immensely.
#19 Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Most western vegetarians I have met are not decadent and immoral. It's just a handful that run around shouting about hunters or fur-wearers, then you find out later they have cheated on their spouse or something. That's why I entitled the thread "Decadent Western Vegetarians" and not "All Western Vegetarians".

By sex outside marriage, although I generally diapprove, I was more thinking of a married person having sex outside it against their partner's wishes.

Yes, Easterners can be immoral too, of course. They are generally not as decadent and debauched, though. Their immorality goes in other directions.
#20 Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM

I don't even think most vegetarians consider themselves "better" or "more moral" or whatever..

Ethical veg*ns obviously feel that not eating meat, or using animals, is the more ethical choice. This doesn't mean they feel they do everything better than omnis or that they are perfect in all aspects of their lives.
#21 Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:

But I like you to and have missed you immensely.

This!
#22 Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, Easterners can be immoral too, of course. They are generally not as decadent and debauched, though. Their immorality goes in other directions.

You know, in Hong Kong and Taiwan (and the mainland too), it's really common for men-usually business men- have a pampered mistress or a "second wife" and children in mainland China. They have towns called second wife villages (I kid you not) where men will buy houses just for their second wife and kids. Oftentimes, the "husband" is old enough to be the "second wife"'s grandfather. Even some of my mainlander friends are afraid to have their husband go back to the mainland now for fear that some younger filly will snatch up her husband.
#23 Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

But adultery is such an awesome and fun leisure time activity that many enjoy and it is totally legal.
#24 Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Did I say most? No, the minority in fact. It's just the placard-carrying variety are much noisier, more annoying and more visible. It is of them I speak.
#25 Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

But adultery is such an awesome and fun leisure time activity that many enjoy and it is totally legal.

#26 Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not legal everywhere.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ports-her.html
#27 Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not legal everywhere.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ports-her.html

I stand corrected...totally legal in countries where women are seen as equals.
#28 Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM

yup, so it's legal for those pesky western immoral vegetarians.
#29 Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, what I dislike about most Western vegetarians is that they have come from a society that has enouraged political correctness and not justice, per se. And of course, they fail to realize one is not the same as the other. Hence giving them double standards about what sort of injustices are more or less palatable, and what grievances (regarding the -ism's) are more or less palatable. Of course, because I dislike ranting here and because it's not popular I won't.
Aristede likes this.
#30 Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ok, what I dislike about most Western vegetarians is that they have come from a society that has enouraged political correctness and not justice, per se. And of course, they fail to realize one is not the same as the other. Hence giving them double standards about what sort of injustices are more or less palatable, and what grievances (regarding the -ism's) are more or less palatable. Of course, because I dislike ranting here and because it's not popular I won't.

Fair enough, and thank you, Lady Brassica. I will try to avoid ranting about such things, too, if I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page