Happy May Day! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

[youtube]IThtQy6Wxpo[/youtube]

Nixon in China (opera)

what does May Day mean to you?

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

*hums The Internationale*

What does May Day mean to me? Oh, nothing, really.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Ex-*****

Not much. Back in the day it was important to the working class, but today few people identify as working class, perhaps due to a higher social mobility in today's society. I used to celebrate the day when I was active in party politics, but I gave up that some years ago. I also think the day is slightly perverted when you see fat cat party cadre types giving speeches and talking about solidarity and the struggle of the common man.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought it was supposed to be a Pagan Fertility Ritual?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

One of the most interesting May Days I've experienced was in Plaza de la Revolución in Havana a couple of years ago. 10s, if not 100s, of thousands of Cubans of all walks of life crammed into the huge square to see dancing, singing, a few political speeches and then Fidel Castro give a 90+ minute speech that had the entire crowd clapping and shouting along with applause. Very inspiring.
#6 Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

So is May Day a big political thing in other parts of the world? I've never thought of it that way.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#7 Old 05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Vegan Police Officer

In my part of the world it is not called MayDay, but Labour Day or International Workers Day. Definitely a day for workers to get onto the streets and demonstrate. I also, like the poster further up, tend to hum The Internationale on 1st May. Out of tradition.

In the States, Labour Day is in September, I think????
#8 Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Labor Day is the first monday in September, but even then, it's just a day off, not politically charged at all.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Yeah, Labor Day is the first monday in September, but even then, it's just a day off, not politically charged at all.

Oh, I didn't know that. That's a shame!! But perhaps it's because there is not really much of a left-wing political scene in the United States. It's mostly right right, or right. In Switzerland today, there were about 20'000 people in all in the streets. Which is not bad for Switzerland compared to other years.
#10 Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Today is the day my boat sank.

#11 Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

crazy english people dancing round a pole holding onto ribbons that are tied to it, while men in knickerbockers with bells tied to their legs bash each other with sticks. in time to music. just the usual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maypole
#12 Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

happy pagan day! it is also my nephews 13th birthday!

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#13 Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Beginner

It's actually quite a big day here. Under the communists it was one of the biggest holidays in the year and there were marches/demonstrations/whatever absolutely everywhere (completely voluntary of course. If you didn't want to go you could always choose to loose your job instead). So nowadays it stirs up quite a lot of controversy and is VERY politically loaded to some people. Basically the communists claimed Labour day, and now everyone is trying to fight them on their own turf, whether its by booking there traditional locations in advance, or disrupting the actual rallies (either by peaceful protests, or violently).

But to the less politically minded its basically just a day off. I decided to combine fun and politics and attended an anti-racism/pro-veganism/etc. festival headlined by Propagandhi, which I have to say was one of the best shows I've been to.

Edit: It's also my veganniversary. Woohoo!!
#14 Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

What it means to me is that I didn't have to go to work today.
#15 Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post

It's actually quite a big day here. Under the communists it was one of the biggest holidays in the year and there were marches/demonstrations/whatever absolutely everywhere (completely voluntary of course. If you didn't want to go you could always choose to loose your job instead).

perhaps you should mention where?

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#16 Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Beginner

Damn it! I always forget that. I mean the Czech Republic. Although I'd imagine its pretty similar in just about any post-communist country.
#17 Old 05-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucian Book of Odes / Shī Jīng View Post

We get up at sunrise.

At sunset we rest.

We dig wells and drink.

We till the fields and eat.

What is the might of the emperor to us?

word is there is there are many immigration related marches happening today.

#18 Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

May Day used to be about the working classes uniting against the elite to change the balance of wealth and power from the elites to the working classes. And now we have the working classes fighting amongst themselves over petty border squabbles while the elites continue to consolidate power and wealth. I'm sure the wealthy are laughing at that today.
#19 Old 05-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

May Day used to be about the working classes uniting against the elite to change the balance of wealth and power from the elites to the working classes. And now we have the working classes fighting amongst themselves over petty border squabbles while the elites continue to consolidate power and wealth. I'm sure the wealthy are laughing at that today.

yeah, it used to be about the bombs.

#20 Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 AM

may day there was a huge protest.

and lots of potheads.

so I mean lots of angry white people yelling about how awful it is to be brown and they wanted to be able to not get a pesky fine when they smoke weed. Thousands of them.

#21 Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
mlp
Banned

[QUOTE=Kenickie] lots of angry white people yelling about how awful it is to be brown[QUOTE]

"Awful" as in "brown people are awful", or "awful" as in "brown people are treated awfully"?
#22 Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM

awful as in "did you know it's illegal to be brown in arizona?"

#23 Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

In the States, Labour Day is in September, I think????

The US didn't want to co-celebrate with the Communists, so we moved it to the last Monday in September. Ironically, it's now become a mass-comsumption day as all the retailers hold "Labor Day Sales"...and the rich get richer.

As a union member May 1 is important to me, but I don't do anything special to celebrate. I mention it sometimes and people look at me strange. The history of the labor movement has been heavily suppressed in the US the past 30 years or so, especially in the education system. Most people aren't aware what it was about or that it even happened. They totally take for granted all the benefits they enjoy in the workplace as a result of others' sacrifice. Except those benefits are now gradually eroding. Do they blame the employers? No, they blame unions, the government, liberals, illegal immigrants, etc... anybody except the people actually taking them away. It's a strange country.
#24 Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Cornwall sees a number of traditional May Day celebrations which are well worth checking out if you're ever down that way.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#25 Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

awful as in "did you know it's illegal to be brown in arizona?"

"do I look illegal to you ?" teeshirts on people in birkenstocks and hemp pants.

so yes, infact, you do look illegal, you are most likely carrying drugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page