Is Gay Marriage OK by You? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Is gay marriage OK with you?
Yes, gay marriage is OK with me. 0 0%
No, I do not approve of gay marriage. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 12-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

*sigh* This poll seems inevitable. In the thread on gay marriage it was alleged that lots of people are against it, but didn't want to speak up in such a controversial forum. Hey, could be so. So, let the anonymous voting begin!! Comments probably should go in the other thread, mainly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

"gay" people have the same rights as "normal" people.
#3 Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

You need an option for "unsure." I'm ok with gay relationships (I feel like some people are born that way), but I'm just not sure how I feel about the marriage aspect. I'm leaning toward "OK," though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

What's so special about marriage ?

It's just a piece of paper that says that you promise to stay with that person no matter what.

A lot of people just tear up the papers after a handfull of years.

Marriage seems to be "special" but it's just a piece of legal paper. I don't see why some people should be denied the right to sign such a legal piece of paper.

(I can be romantic, but when I look at it in a rational way, that's how I see it)
#5 Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

um.. why not? I don't know why people make such a big deal about it. If two people love eachother and choose to get married then I don't see why it should concern anyone else. If someone wants to get married, then let them.

Me.. I don't see the point in marriage. I've been in a committed relationship for over four years now. We've talked about marriage and neither of us want to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
#6 Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

they are people also.

sure they is an obviously difference from a guy and a girl getting married and a girl and a girl getting married BUT they are humans like anyone of us. they shouldnt have the exact rights as we do
#7 Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 AM

Yes, I think it's okay. I really don't understand why anyone would be against it. Who are they hurting?
#8 Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Not that it should be up to me what someone does with their life, so long as they're not harming me (which, of course, they aren't).
#9 Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it takes anything away from the definition of marriage by including homosexual couples. They should have the choice if they want to be married. I think it's time our culture stop being so homophobic and disciminatory.
#10 Old 12-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely Yes.
#11 Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I've deliberately stayed out of the debate thread on this on. I don't feel the need to debate or defend my lifestyle. I live my life with as much integrity and honesty as I am capable of. so there should be no problem.

Of course I should have to right to commit my life to my partner and to have that union recognized by the state. there's nothing to debate here....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#12 Old 12-04-2003, 01:19 PM

There is absolutely no question: YES!!!
#13 Old 12-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes.
#14 Old 12-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh hell yeah!
#15 Old 12-04-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

"gay" people have the same rights as "normal" people.

No, we don't. In the US, I am not allowed to marry my partner. If she died, her family could contest her will, and I might not inherit property that should belong to me, I can be denied the right to visit her in the hospital, some banks won't let unmarried, unrelated people open checking accounts, I can't be on her health insurance, we might not be allowed to buy property together, we don't get any of the tax benefits that married people get...

This is WRONG. I am a taxpayer, a productive, involved member of my community. I should have the same rights and benefits as everyone else.
#16 Old 12-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

After reading all these posts and thinking about it logically, I think that of course the rights should be the same whether the couple is heterosexual or homosexual. I think I just haven't really thought about it because I'm not around gay people or couples (that I know of) on a regular basis. Aside from the religious reasons some people disagree with this, I think a lot of people may be in the same boat as me.
#17 Old 12-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

No, we don't. In the US, I am not allowed to marry my partner. If she died, her family could contest her will, and I might not inherit property that should belong to me, I can be denied the right to visit her in the hospital, some banks won't let unmarried, unrelated people open checking accounts, I can't be on her health insurance, we might not be allowed to buy property together, we don't get any of the tax benefits that married people get...

This is WRONG. I am a taxpayer, a productive, involved member of my community. I should have the same rights and benefits as everyone else.

Wow.. I never really thought just how difficult things can be. Not a lot of people think about bank accounts, insurance and the other things you mentioned. It's complete BS to be denied of such simple things as opening a bank account.
#18 Old 12-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

A society where the government dictates the nature of acceptable contracts for people to enter into is not free.
#19 Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Banned

"religious reasons". This is what kills me here. What business does religion have in our government? Aaaaargh.

Seriously, I'd be quite willing to put my life on the line to defend the right of people to hold whatever ridiculous beliefs they wish to hold (coupled with my right to openly and publically question those beliefs on my own time with my own dollars) but dammit keep it outside of the freaking government. Sheesh.
#20 Old 12-04-2003, 02:45 PM

Am I the only one that's a bit sad to see that there are 6 votes so far for "no"? I'm all for believing what you want to believe, but it still makes me sad.
#21 Old 12-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Am I the only one that's a bit sad to see that there are 6 votes so far for "no"? I'm all for believing what you want to believe, but it still makes me sad.

Nope, I'm sad to see those votes too. And none of those voters have spoken up here, have they?
#22 Old 12-04-2003, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Nope, I'm sad to see those votes too. And none of those voters have spoken up here, have they?

No kidding. WTF? I'd really like to know the reasons for being against it. I just can't understand that there would be one that's legitimate.
#23 Old 12-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Sad, yes. Surprised, no. Although I'd really be interested to hear reasons for the no votes.
#24 Old 12-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I always wonder why people aren't opposed to it being legal for heterosexual couple from getting married who: want open relationships, don't have sex, aren't in love, are infertile or don't want kids(and therefore can't fullfill society's "purpose of marriage"), marriage of convenience, eventually don't get along and hate each other, etc. etc. I would think those kinds of marriages would "hurt the institution of marriage" much more so than homosexual couples would
#25 Old 12-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Without even speaking up, people are trying to 'guilt' them into changing their opinions....the six...now the seven who just won't agree. Dang it...can't we all just believe the SAME THING?

Sorry....

I think a person should be able to do what he she wants to do. Providing it doesn't hurt another person. I do think that anyone who has the shere balls to commit to another person, especially after seeing the train wreck it can eventually end in, should most certainly be allowed (if not encouraged) to do so. And in fact applauding for still having so much hope and innocence.

B
#26 Old 12-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Love is Love.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#27 Old 12-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

It is absolutely OK with me.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#28 Old 12-04-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

Without even speaking up, people are trying to 'guilt' them into changing their opinions....the six...now the seven who just won't agree. Dang it...can't we all just believe the SAME THING?

Sorry....

B

And where, I would like to know, was anyone trying to make them change their opinions? I'd just like to know what reason someone could have for not thinking it's okay. Of *course* everyone isn't going to believe the same thing. Can't I ask why, though, without being criticized for it?
#29 Old 12-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I think gay couples deserve exacly the same rights as any other couple get, there's no doubt about it. However, I believe it'll be easier to do if the issue will be separated from the marriage institution. Connecting couples' rights to marriage hurts not only the gay community, but also couples who just don't want to get marriged, or can't from any other reason.

Of course there should be a way for gay couples to get marriged if they choose it, however, in places where the marrige is connected to religion, that might still be a problem. In that case, I don't really understand why someone will want to get marriged in an institute that has no respect and recognition to him..
#30 Old 12-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Banned

yes, because i'm not a fascist.

to the people who voted no
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page