Should marijuana be legalized? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Just wanted some opinions... Should marijuana be legalized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes.

For medical use only. Strickly regulated and controlled.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

MOD POST:

just a friendly reminder that while discussing the law and its ramifications is ok, mentioning personally doing anything illegal, or promoting doing anything illegal, is against the TOS. it also puts VB and posters at risk of legal troubles.

please be cautious in your wording, and with what you divulge, and remember that minors as young as 13 frequent the board, and that people access it from work, school, etc. thankies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes
#5 Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnxoobrink View Post

Just wanted some opinions... Should marijuana be legalized?

You could try a search. There must be half a dozen of these threads by now.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

You could try a search. There must be half a dozen of these threads by now.

its been a little while. new people have joined, old peoples veiws might have changed. its ok to revisit subjects. if everything was only discussed once, well, we'd be really short of vegan honey threads and the mods would drum their fingers and vb would be really really boring. if needs be we can always merge threads.

#7 Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

To me it seems like only yesterday we had a legalize it thread going on.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Decriminalize marijuana and criminalize Will & Grace.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#9 Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Decriminalize marijuana and criminalize Will & Grace.

Agreed

and Tom Cruise
#10 Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

And Mary Poppins
#11 Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm all in favor for the legalization of marijuana, for both medicinal and recreational purposes.

Weed is far less harmful than alcohol, it has a wide variety of uses and if it were legal, it could be used to increase tax revenues, decrease the amount of money spent on the war on drugs and free up millions of people from prisons.

I am very glad to live in Canada where the laws are less strict than they are in the states, but I would love to see full legalization everywhere.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I'm all in favor for the legalization of marijuana, for both medicinal and recreational purposes.

Weed is far less harmful than alcohol, it has a wide variety of uses and if it were legal, it could be used to increase tax revenues, decrease the amount of money spent on the war on drugs and free up millions of people from prisons.

I am very glad to live in Canada where the laws are less strict than they are in the states, but I would love to see full legalization everywhere.

I think the U.S. should have laws similar to the Netherlands' when it comes to marijuana.
#13 Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

... it could be used to increase tax revenues, decrease the amount of money spent on the war on drugs and free up millions of people from prisons.

Where are these millions of people imprisoned?

The truth is that there are fewer than 40,000 people in prison for marijuana offenses in the United States - less than 2000 in California with a population approaching 38 million - a few million more than the entire nation of Canada.

And yes, marijuana should be legal.
#14 Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Beginner

In theorey, yes. Meaning it shouldn't have been made illegal in the first place. There's no inherent reason for it to be illegal. I am, however, inclined to believe making it totally legal would lead to a spike in other underground illegal activity. People who deal mostly or soley in sales of marijuana are not just going to go out and get "real" jobs when they stop making money off selling it illegally. Therefore, I have reason to believe decriminalization is the answer right now over total legalization, unless we want to see more illegal weapons and hard drugs on our streets, which I certainly do not.

eta- Medical use is 100% fine with me, if that needs clarification.
#15 Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Agreed

and Tom Cruise

Yeah being Tom Cruise should get you at least ten years in jail.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#16 Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yeah being Tom Cruise should get you at least ten years in jail.

What about smoking him?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#17 Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM

how do u smoke someone?
#18 Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM

legalize it
#19 Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

What about smoking him?

You mean like rolling him inside a giant leaf and then lighting him on fire? That should get you the Nobel peace prize.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#20 Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep legalize

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#21 Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

Where are these millions of people imprisoned?

The truth is that there are fewer than 40,000 people in prison for marijuana offenses in the United States - less than 2000 in California with a population approaching 38 million - a few million more than the entire nation of Canada.

And yes, marijuana should be legal.

I was talking worldwide, not just in the states... I don't really feel like searching for exact stats, but according to Allen St. Pierre, executive director of hte National Organisation for Reform of Marijuana laws (NORML), more than 8 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charge over the last 10 years. Perhaps they have not all spent time in jail, but it's still money spent enforcing silly laws.

#22 Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM

if it was legalized would everyone in jail now for posession be let free?
#23 Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnxoobrink View Post

if it was legalized would everyone in jail now for posession be let free?

I have no idea, that's an interesting question though...

#24 Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Legalize it. I am sure there would be less crime this way.
#25 Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Beginner

In general I would say yes. I won't bother repeating all the statements about it being less harmfull than alcohol etc, but I will point that mairjuana presents a large dillema to the ethical consumer. Increasingly today consumers demand to know exactly where everything comes from and along routes it reaches them so they can make ethical choices about what they buy, but there is no way of knowing this with pot. Most smokers don't have contact with anyone except their dealer and have no way of knowing who's being harmed further up the chain (and lets face it, we're dealing with an illegal drug, so someone probably is) and what impact they're purchase is going to have on other people.

Quote:
People who deal mostly or soley in sales of marijuana are not just going to go out and get "real" jobs when they stop making money off selling it illegally.

Its actually virtually impossible to make money selling marijuana, unless your dealing in really large quantities. Most small time dealers basicly just sell it so they can make enough money to buy weed for themselves and typically have jobs (or more likely are still at school). The big fish are probably dealing in something else already. I reckon that the number of people making a decent living solely off marijuana is so small as to make virtually no recognizable impact (an personally, if I was starting a marijuana farm after it had been legalized then the first people I'd offer jobs to would be the illegal growers who actually know how to grow it).
#26 Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

The problem with legalizing weed for recreational use is that for a certain period of time, people would use it to excess leading to more drug related deaths and crimes. It may also lead to addiction in people who would otherwise not use or have access to it. (Which would probably offset the additional tax revenue generated by its legalization)

And just like alcohol, minors would be able to (more easily) get their hands on it. As a group, minors are less responsible/less able to control themselves than adults...

Can you imagine how much auto insurance would increase for people under 25 with weed being legal?...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#27 Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Legalize it!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#28 Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

yes.

I like this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post

In general I would say yes. I won't bother repeating all the statements about it being less harmfull than alcohol etc, but I will point that mairjuana presents a large dillema to the ethical consumer. Increasingly today consumers demand to know exactly where everything comes from and along routes it reaches them so they can make ethical choices about what they buy, but there is no way of knowing this with pot. Most smokers don't have contact with anyone except their dealer and have no way of knowing who's being harmed further up the chain (and lets face it, we're dealing with an illegal drug, so someone probably is) and what impact they're purchase is going to have on other people.

Its actually virtually impossible to make money selling marijuana, unless your dealing in really large quantities. Most small time dealers basicly just sell it so they can make enough money to buy weed for themselves and typically have jobs (or more likely are still at school). The big fish are probably dealing in something else already. I reckon that the number of people making a decent living solely off marijuana is so small as to make virtually no recognizable impact (an personally, if I was starting a marijuana farm after it had been legalized then the first people I'd offer jobs to would be the illegal growers who actually know how to grow it).

#29 Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

The problem with legalizing weed for recreational use is that for a certain period of time, people would use it to excess leading to more drug related deaths and crimes. It may also lead to addiction in people who would otherwise not use or have access to it. (Which would probably offset the additional tax revenue generated by its legalization)

And just like alcohol, minors would be able to (more easily) get their hands on it. As a group, minors are less responsible/less able to control themselves than adults...

Can you imagine how much auto insurance would increase for people under 25 with weed being legal?...

Wow this is waaaaay off. Weed consumption produces little or no ill health effects and a death from smoking weed is unheard of. There is also no evidence that weed is physically addictive.

Where I grew up, dealers sold weed to anyone who had money, no ages limits were checked. However, to buy beer you had to be 21. So it was far, far easier to buy weed than it was to get beer, hence in school more people smoked weed than drank booze. By legalizing it, age checks could be made at the point of purchase thereby leading to less kids smoking weed than are smoking it now. Also, having weed illegal leads kids down the path of dealing with the underground economy in the form of dealers and petty criminals. Legalized weed would have people interacting with their local shop instead, thereby giving less money to illegal economy.

Insurance companies wouldn't be affected at all, in fact, they may bring insurance rates down as more people would be smoking weed and less people drinking booze.
#30 Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Wow this is waaaaay off. Weed consumption produces little or no ill health effects and a death from smoking weed is unheard of. There is also no evidence that weed is physically addictive.

I wasn't referring to health issues. I'm talking about the effects of being high. (e.g. driving a car)

And I'm sure weed smoke causes cancer just as much as tobacco. Especially if people started smoking it at the levels they smoke cigaretts. (which would happen if it was legalized)

-nomad888

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page