VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   Honey superthread: discuss [non]vegan-ness of honey here (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/93127-honey-superthread-discuss-non-vegan-ness-honey-here.html)

junglist 12-05-2008 07:16 AM

Honey superthread: discuss [non]vegan-ness of honey here

I've considered myself to one who eats a vegan diet for about 5 years, and while I don't particularly care for honey, I don't avoid it.

What's the problem with honey? The industry allows for a safe place for the bees to live in peace, and encourages pollination in areas close to crops.

What's the problem with bee cultivation?

Thanks!

*AHIMSA* 12-05-2008 07:19 AM

Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Another honey thread!

Do a search for honey and 4856645724586751288128657846572657 threads will come up to inform you.

Here's the short of it: It's not vegan. It's an animal product. It's not ours to take. Bees are harmed in procuring it.

jeneticallymodified 12-05-2008 07:32 AM

^^^ yep.

basically.

bees = not plants.

honey = animal product.

using bees and then stealing bees honey = not cool.

Sevenseas 12-05-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

bees = not plants.

Human earwax is a not a plant either, but it's vegan and I eat lots of it.

bekajoi 12-05-2008 07:34 AM

I kicked the habit. Think of it this way. It is bug vomit. (really!) And it has bug leggies stuck in it when they steal it from the little beasites. EEw. Even if you don't think it matters what a bug feels, that's just gross.

jeneticallymodified 12-05-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Human earwax is a not a plant either, but it's vegan and I eat lots of it.

well, as long as you're not frosting your brownies with bee-earwax, and don't bake me any vegan treats, i'm gonna try and be ok with that.

junglist 12-05-2008 07:44 AM

How does it harm them?

veggie-troll 12-05-2008 07:54 AM

I admit to wondering sometimes if the Vegan Society hasn't originally included honey on the list if the average vegan now would really care about it. Regardless of if we harvest the honey bees are transported all over the place in order to pollinate crops, so pretty much any fruit could be a result of their husbandry.

I actually recieved some vegan leafletting that urged vegans to not equate honey with meat or dairy and eggs because to the rest of the world it makes us look a little unstable. I'm all for someone cutting it out of their diet if they want but I do personally find it the most problematic of the pure vegan stance.

broccolichick 12-05-2008 07:56 AM

Brandon 12-05-2008 07:59 AM

jeneticallymodified 12-05-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

How does it harm them?

brandons link should indeed do it.

also, i remember my neighbour (who kept bees) putting some in the freezer every year to send them off for disease testing. i doubt that was the highlight of their little lives, or did them a whole lot of good.

GhostUser 12-05-2008 08:21 AM

PlaybackGuru 12-05-2008 08:30 AM

Whats right with honey?

codemonkey 12-05-2008 08:54 AM

Honey is not vegan. Whether you eat it or not is up to you. Do your research, decide if you care and make your decision based on that.

junglist 12-05-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

That should cover it.

Thanks dude, that's what I was looking for. That's the example of a good and productive response.

To everyone else that shat on this thread, I'm not fussed. Topics can (and will) come up more than once in your lifetime. Get over it.

GhostUser 12-05-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks dude, that's what I was looking for. That's the example of a good and productive response.

To everyone else that shat on this thread, I'm not fussed. Topics can (and will) come up more than once in your lifetime. Get over it.

The search feature is there for a reason, though. And this topic has come up way more than once. Try like 3158191984 times. People are bound to get annoyed to hear the same question asked over and over and over and over.

Sevenseas 12-05-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

To everyone else that shat on this thread, I'm not fussed.

I didn't **** on this thread, I just threw up some grape juice over it.

broccolichick 12-05-2008 09:33 AM

Nishani 12-05-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

The search feature is there for a reason, though. And this topic has come up way more than once. Try like 3158191984 times. People are bound to get annoyed to hear the same question asked over and over and over and over.

Tough s**t.

You can get annoyed if you want inside, but there's no need for old-schoolers of the board to make it so damn obvious that they are annoyed with newbies who neglected to do a search.

GhostUser 12-05-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Tough s**t.

You can get annoyed if you want inside, but there's no need for old-schoolers of the board to make it so damn obvious that they are annoyed with newbies who neglected to do a search.

I can get annoyed on the inside, and I can also post it if I want, too.

heidiny77 12-05-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

I kicked the habit. Think of it this way. It is bug vomit. (really!) And it has bug leggies stuck in it when they steal it from the little beasites. EEw. Even if you don't think it matters what a bug feels, that's just gross.

That's what I tell people...or that it's food for bees and not for mees....

broccolichick 12-05-2008 09:51 AM

I'm sure one can post about being annoyed if another can post about their meta-annoyance with said annoyed individual.

GhostUser 12-05-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I'm sure one can post about being annoyed if another can post about their meta-annoyance with said annoyed individual.

Brandon 12-05-2008 09:53 AM

Alright, I think that's enough. Let's get back on topic .

Sevenseas 12-05-2008 10:05 AM

The only reason I can come up with in defense of humans eating honey is the enjoyment from placing a jar of honey on the kitchen table and when entering the house, yelling "honey, I'm home".

usmcmom 12-05-2008 10:53 AM

Oops....I'm a Vegetarian that is also a Beekeeper.

We took up Beekeeping to combat the damage Commercial Beekeepers are causing with their chemicals and forced migrations of colonies.

It is the Hobbiest Beekeepers that are going to save the species. IMHO

Sevenseas 12-05-2008 10:58 AM

There are also some Hobbit beekeepers, but they're being driven out of business by the evil beekeepers of Mordor who employ thousands of orcs to mass-produce honey.

SomebodyElse 12-05-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Whats right with honey?

Nuthin' wrong with your honey, big boy.

Oops, wrong thread!

Beachbnny 12-05-2008 03:08 PM

megbot 12-05-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

Honey is not vegan. Whether you eat it or not is up to you. Do your research, decide if you care and make your decision based on that.

+1. The link you were given before covers the basis. Pretty much the vegan stance on honey is that many many bees are killed in the making of honey, and its unnecessary for our survival but necessary for theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

dude. This is a discussion board. People come here to discuss things, and if you've been here long enough I'm pretty sure everything has been discussed. The thing that changes is who's participating in the discussion. If people stopped posting because something was discussed before, well, this would be a pretty dead forum.