Honey superthread: discuss [non]vegan-ness of honey here - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

#31 Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Nuthin' wrong with your honey, big boy.

Oops, wrong thread!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

The only reason I can come up with in defense of humans eating honey is the enjoyment from placing a jar of honey on the kitchen table and when entering the house, yelling "honey, I'm home".

Lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I learned in one of the previous threads that organic honey production is much different than regular honey production. Maybe I'll do a search and find the link that someone else provided. I can't see a problem with taking excess honey from a hive provided that none of the bees are harmed and that extra honey is kept on hand should the bees need it (I think they do that with organic honey production). But yeah, for myself, I ask the question "what's right with honey?" -- I don't need it so why eat it? I'd rather just eat other foods.

I'm not near happy with the source of most of the foods I eat right now but that is slowly changing and at some point I hope to be eating healthy, whole foods and I would encourage lots of different pollinating insects to live in/near the garden/farm. If some honey bees set up shop I'd let them make their honey and eat their honey and I'd only collect one jar and give it to Sevenseas so when he gets home he can say "honey, I'm home".
#33 Old 12-06-2008, 02:35 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmom View Post

Oops....I'm a Vegetarian that is also a Beekeeper.

We took up Beekeeping to combat the damage Commercial Beekeepers are causing with their chemicals and forced migrations of colonies.

It is the Hobbiest Beekeepers that are going to save the species. IMHO

Could you not attempt to save the species without stealing their honey?

As for the people who call honey "bee's vomit", I think this is so disrespectful to the bees. It's not vomit. It's their food and they work bloody hard to produce it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Could you not attempt to save the species without stealing their honey?

As for the people who call honey "bee's vomit", I think this is so disrespectful to the bees. It's not vomit. It's their food and they work bloody hard to produce it.

I don't feel the bees possess the ability to read, comprehend, or be offended by our declarations of "bee vomit."

OP:

I am neutral about honey, I don't consume it by the jar but I can't say that I avoid it in certain breads. I still feel vegan. Someone probably mentioned it in the countless pages I skipped but those considering honey to be "cruel" to bee's are eating the fruits that bees help produce (as they carry stamen juice to the pistil for pollination). I guess creating fruit through pollination isn't vegan either. Because bee farms help crops too. What is the world coming to? The same people saying that honey isn't vegan are driving to the market and killing other insects on their jolly way to buying honey-less bread.

#35 Old 12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

The same people saying that honey isn't vegan are driving to the market and killing other insects on their jolly way to buying honey-less bread.

And the same people saying that veal isn't vegetarian are driving to the market picking up cartons of milk from the same cows that are the source of veal calves.

We all take steps to do what we can. For most vegans, reducing honey is a small step compared to the rest that veganism entails - so why not give it up? There are plenty of sweeteners available.
#36 Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

We all take steps to do what we can. For most vegans, reducing honey is a small step compared to the rest that veganism entails - so why not give it up? There are plenty of sweeteners available.

That's how I feel! While I am not as opposed to honey as I might be to dairy and egg production, I avoid honey out of vegan solidarity if nothing else.
#37 Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

I am neutral about honey, I don't consume it by the jar but I can't say that I avoid it in certain breads. I still feel vegan.

Ah, well. Your eyes are still pretty.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#38 Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

And what else are we supposed to call regurgitated food? They do work hard for it. And cows chew their cud, old food they brought back up. It is what they do. It doesn't make it gross.

But it makes a good reason for HUMANS (who do not do such things) to stay away from it.
#39 Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

And what else are we supposed to call regurgitated food?

Technically, regurgitation and vomit are two different things. Often a vet will want to know, for example, whether an animal is vomiting, which can be a sign of serious disease, or regurgitating, which often occurs in cats who eat too much food too damn fast, and it pops out within minutes, without ever making it to the stomach. When birds bring home food to their nestlings, they regurgitate it from their crops, rather than vomiting it from their stomachs. With bees, its more likely to be classed as a regurgitation, but I don't know for sure.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#40 Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
There's never been a better time to be a half-assed vegetarian. Five years ago, the American Dialect Society honored the word flexitarian for its utility in describing a growing demographic—the "vegetarian who occasionally eats meat." Now there's evidence that going flexi is good for the environment and good for your health. A study released last October found that a plant-based diet, augmented with a small amount of dairy and meat, maximizes land-use efficiency. In January, Michael Pollan distilled the entire field of nutritional science into three rules for a healthy diet: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." According to a poll released last week, Americans seem to be listening: Thirteen percent of U.S. adults are "semivegetarian," meaning they eat meat with fewer than half of all their meals. In comparison, true vegetarians—those who never, ever consume animal flesh—compose just 1 percent.

I'm posting this mainly because they linked to VB! Not real easy to spot but the second to last link on page one ("pearls aren't vegan") links to VB.

Full story...

http://www.slate.com/id/2196205/

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#41 Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, cool that we got linked^^

Before this erupts into true honey debate, I want to put this up and then I'm done with the honey discussion.

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

#42 Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I find it somewhat amusing that he spends two pages basically going through the honey debate and then says it shouldn't be debated

It's cool that they linked us though!!!
#43 Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Ankle Biter

I do wish we could come across to the general public as having a lifestyle that is relatively easy to acheive rather than one of restriction and difficulty.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#44 Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I do wish we could come across to the general public as having a lifestyle that is relatively easy to acheive rather than one of restriction and difficulty.

+1
#45 Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

+2

I think omni's think they are complimenting you when they go, "Oh, I could never do that! You must have so much discipline!" In fact I find such statements to that effect annoying. My quality of life is not suffering, I'm well-fed and happy.

It's like they think they enjoy food so much more than you do. Very irritating.
#46 Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

+2

I think omni's think they are complimenting you when they go, "Oh, I could never do that! You must have so much discipline!" In fact I find such statements to that effect annoying. My quality of life is not suffering, I'm well-fed and happy.

It's like they think they enjoy food so much more than you do. Very irritating.

I'm always arguing with people about how I'm not suffering or exceptionally dedicated. I'm not dedicated. I'm lazy. Very very lazy and being vegan is just that easy, with the right mindset. It helps I don't eat out much, have friends that understand what vegan means and have a partner that is also vegan.
#47 Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Founder Donald Watson called their namby-pamby lacto-vegetarianism "a halfway house between flesh-eating and a truly human, civilized diet" and implored his followers to join him in making the "full journey."

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#48 Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

namby-pamby... *giggles*
#49 Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I quite liked what Mathew Ball says at the end about how he personally won't eat any honey but at the same time recruiting 5 ppl who do is better than one who doesnt. I can see the logic behind that... plus you can always hope that those 5 ppl might change their mind over time.
#50 Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Beginner

i eat honey and dont think ill give it up in the future

No matter how hyprocritical it sounds
#51 Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

This guy defends honey being vegan:

http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/greger.html
#52 Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Beginner

hmmmm that made a lot of sense...

I do only eat organic honey so :S

I guess im doing my tiny bit of help towards the bees hahahah
#53 Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonSG View Post

hmmmm that made a lot of sense...

I do only eat organic honey so :S

What is organic honey? Bee food stolen from hives not built by humans?

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#54 Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonSG View Post

[ ] Yes you are

[x] I have no idea what you are talking about

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#55 Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemdude View Post

This guy defends honey being vegan:

And fails miserably.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#56 Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Beginner

I'm actually wondering if I should reconsider my decision not to consume honey.

Quote:
There are virtually no wild honey bees left due to the effects of the parasitic varroa mite and the viruses it carries, and for which to date, there is no cure.

Beekeepers are now the sole guardians of the honey bee population in the UK. The British Bee Keepers Association is campaigning to get the Government to change its mind and increase research funding, so that we can protect our honey bees, before its too late.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/bbka_research_campaign.php

Now, if the above is true, then maybe it would be more ethically responsible for me to financially fund bee-keepers by buying honey. I haven't decided yet, though.
#57 Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

What is organic honey? Bee food stolen from hives not built by humans?

As far as I know, organic honey is made by bees that only had access to organic crops as food sources.

http://www.beedata.com/news/organichoney.htm
#58 Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Why not just support a bee sanctuary, and let the bees keep their honey?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#59 Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Why not just support a bee sanctuary, and let the bees keep their honey?

Are there such things?

Actually, come to think of it, I know of bumblebee sanctuaries, so it's not a far-fetched idea.
#60 Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

From what I have read, all the major vegan societies disallow honey, but many individual vegans still use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page