When was Jesus born? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

from my research so far he was not born in December at all. so why do so many people associate Christmas with the birth of Jesus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard he was born in March. I'm not religious so I don't know much about this.
#3 Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

from my research so far he was not born in December at all. so why do so many people associate Christmas with the birth of Jesus?

December 25th was chosen because it was originally the approximate date for a pagan holiday called Saturnalia. It was chosen to make Christianity more palatable for the pagan masses who they were trying to convert to Christianity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

No one is entirely sure when Jesus was born (assuming you believe in a historical Jesus). Astronomers have tried to pinpoint the time, using the Star of Bethlehem as a clue, along with the bits of historical data we do have. And they still don't know.... There are a few likely theories, but no way to determine which might be true.

As for the "Why December", it is pretty well established that the Church chose to place the celebration of Jesus's birth at the same time as the Pagan Roman Saturnalia, which was a feast held near the Winter Solstice (which also had. They wanted to convert the pagan holiday into a Christian celebration. Many of the Christmas traditions are actually pagan traditions that were absorbed into the Nativity celebration.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

the winter solstice is the time with the least amount of light in the year. jesus' birth represents the birth of the new year astronomically and hope metaphorically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderandy View Post

As for the "Why December", it is pretty well established that the Church chose to place the celebration of Jesus's birth at the same time as the Pagan Roman Saturnalia, which was a feast held near the Winter Solstice (which also had. They wanted to convert the pagan holiday into a Christian celebration. Many of the Christmas traditions are actually pagan traditions that were absorbed into the Nativity celebration.

yes many cultures had a winter solstice festival that was incorporated into christmas.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#7 Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Beginner

The Bible is God's complete and final revelation to man, and it tells us everything we need to know for our spiritual lives, see II Timothy 3:16. We don't have to go outside the Bible for anything. God's Word tells us how we're to worship, how we're to give money for the support of the Lord's work, how to evangelize the lost, how to observe the Lord's Supper, and everything else pertaining to the Christian life.

But not once in the Bible does God tell us to celebrate Christmas! We're told to remember the Lord's death, the Lord's Resurection and the Lord's coming again, but nowhere are we told to celebrate His birth.

No one knows the exact day when Jesus was born, but in all probability He was born sometime during the first part of October.

Where do you suppose Christmas originated? The very name Chist "MASS" Certainly not with God!

I view Christmas as equal with Halloween,

Memorial day(we don't worship the dead),

4th of July(flag Worship),

April Fools(about the start of Gods new year)

New Years eve? (April fools!)

Easter (he was Crucified on a Wendsday and rose Saturday Evening, 3 days three nights deal, he did not die on Friday and resurected Sunday Morning, lol)

and Sunday Sabbath. (Saturday is the 7th day)

Passover which is always the 14th day of the first month(you see the sliver of the new moon, start of wheat harvest in Isreal)

Yeah I get all worked up, but really it's out there, just google it, I supose it is my Old School inspiration.
#8 Old 12-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I find it strange that Christmas is such a big deal in secular society when it's Easter that's the biggie in theological terms.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

And did you know if you translate "bah humbug" literally from ancient Aramaic it means "Why do you care what other people believe about the birth of Jesus?"
#10 Old 12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

If you aren't interested in Theology why are you posting in this thread? Theology is a fascinating topic. That's like saying "why are you interested in physics?" or "why are you interested in Art?". I don't know, some subjects just resonate with certain people and they enjoy learning about them.

#11 Old 12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

If you aren't interested in Theology why are you posting in this thread? Theology is a fascinating topic.

Theology... right...

Theologically speaking, is the date of the birth of Jesus required for the spiritual and communal worship of the event?
#12 Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No, but why various communities across the globe pick certain dates is interesting. December 25th is certainly not even close to being the only date that people celebrate Christ's birth on.

December 25 was also the "birth date" of Mitras. BTW, and a little off topic, Zoroastrianism is another interesting religion that still has follower to this date.

You might not need to know much about physics, either, to play a good game of handball but that doesn't stop the study of physics itself to be interesting. You may not need to know much about etymology and linguistics, or the origins of the English language to enjoy reading a good book, either, but they are still considered worthy subjects of study by many people.

#13 Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Jesus Martinez was born in a small village in the state of Jalisco, Mexico, on April 17, 1954.
#14 Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantKarma View Post

Jesus Martinez was born in a small village in the state of Jalisco, Mexico, on April 17, 1954.

#15 Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

Historically or mythically speaking Jesus was a most excellent guy. I don't see why anyone would have trouble throwing a little peace, love, and kindness, in the direction of others, in recognition of his birth, no matter what day was chosen.
#16 Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I am flattered that people want to know when I was born, but on the other hand, it's kinda creepy
#17 Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusKelpilot View Post

Wow, I am flattered that people want to know when I was born, but on the other hand, it's kinda creepy

Creepy is, as creepy does.
#18 Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

the winter solstice is the time with the least amount of light in the year. jesus' birth represents the birth of the new year astronomically and hope metaphorically.

I just watched the zietegest, they had a similar interpretation, it was very interesting.
#19 Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

And did you know if you translate "bah humbug" literally from ancient Aramaic it means "Why do you care what other people believe about the birth of Jesus?"

I find history interesting, don't know how you interpreted that as having a "bah humbug" attitude...but whatever.
#20 Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Theology... right...

Theologically speaking, is the date of the birth of Jesus required for the spiritual and communal worship of the event?

No but it is interesting that so many people do not understand why they celebrate the birth of Jesus in December.
#21 Old 12-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

He was born on Christmas Day, which must have been a right bummer, as he only got one lot of presents!
#22 Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Theology... right...

no one said it was. people are just talking about an interesting topic that many people never even consider ie. the historical facts surrounding the holiday.
#23 Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher jon View Post

december 25th was chosen because it was originally the approximate date for a pagan holiday called saturnalia. It was chosen to make christianity more palatable for the pagan masses who they were trying to convert to christianity.

+1
#24 Old 12-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

When you die, you can ask him.
#25 Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreddy'sCat View Post

He was born on Christmas Day, which must have been a right bummer, as he only got one lot of presents!

Yeah, he only got a caftan and a beard comb, that's all he got, nothing else!
#26 Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Read this:

http://www.rys2sense.com/anti-neocon...hp?f=11&t=4528

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#27 Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Greensgood - I took a world religion class in college (part of my core) and to this day it was one of my most incredible learning experiences. I recommend it, even if you audit the course, for anyone interested in theology. It starts from the beginning, unwritten religions (of which there is little to go on) to current. Of course the professor is going to really gear it but I was so interested to see the evolution of current religions. Of course I am not religious and believe in no religion, but the historical discovery is amazing....I think anyone regardless of current believe would benefit, even if only to gain a little tolerance.
#28 Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch197 View Post

Easter (he was Crucified on a Wendsday and rose Saturday Evening, 3 days three nights deal, he did not die on Friday and resurected Sunday Morning, lol)

Why do you believe that?
#29 Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Read this:

http://www.rys2sense.com/anti-neocon...hp?f=11&t=4528

That post contains the lie that Horus was born of a virgin on Dec. 25 and was crucified, then resurrected, therefore I am skeptical about anything else it says.

I'd really like to smack the person who made up that story, its been debunked for such a long time and it makes me very sad that people still believe that without ever checking out if its true or not. Poor Horus.

Anyway, to the matter at hand, yeah, Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25, I was told he was actually born in the spring. It was fairly common for religions to borrow ideas from each other, and even holidays, made it easier for the converts.
#30 Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post

That post contains the lie that Horus was born of a virgin on Dec. 25 and was crucified, then resurrected, therefore I am skeptical about anything else it says.

I'd really like to smack the person who made up that story, its been debunked for such a long time and it makes me very sad that people still believe that without ever checking out if its true or not. Poor Horus.

Anyway, to the matter at hand, yeah, Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25, I was told he was actually born in the spring. It was fairly common for religions to borrow ideas from each other, and even holidays, made it easier for the converts.

Source please? Not trying to pick this apart, but this is the first I've heard of it?

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page