VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   Burger King "Burger Virgin" ads feeding burgers to the poor - in bad taste? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/91143-burger-king-burger-virgin-ads-feeding-burgers-poor-bad-taste.html)

Kiz 12-04-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:
Burger King's poor taste 'Whopper virgins'FAST-food giant Burger King has been attacked for a new ad campaign featuring "whopper virgins" - poor villagers in remote parts of the world who have never tasted burgers.Teaser adverts promoting its "Whopper virgins" challenge, the fast food chain describes how it sought out farmers in rural Romania, Thai villagers and residents of Greenland's icy tundra to compare its signature burger with arch rival McDonald's, the New York Daily News reports."What happens if you take Transylvanian farmers who have never eaten a burger and ask them to compare Whopper versus Big Mac in the world's purest taste test?" one of the adverts asks. "Will they prefer the Whopper? These are the Whopper virgins."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...67-401,00.html

Scythe 12-04-2008 05:11 PM

lol. Well if they get a free meal (snack?) out of it I doubt they care, though I'm sure plenty of westerners will feel injustice for them.

JLRodgers 12-04-2008 05:19 PM

Are those commercials in the USA too (I didn't read the article to find out)? I could've sworn I saw one of those commercials just the other day.... and if I did, I thought it was really screwed up. But then I think that of a lot of commercials these days.

GhostUser 12-04-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Are those commercials in the USA too (I didn't read the article to find out)? I could've sworn I saw one of those commercials just the other day.... and if I did, I thought it was really screwed up. But then I think that of a lot of commercials these days.

Yeah. They're here (USA), too. I just seen one.

Kiz 12-04-2008 05:27 PM

To be honest, I haven't seen the ads expept for the one on the link. I posted it here simply because I thought some people might be interested.

PlaybackGuru 12-04-2008 06:00 PM

I think feeding people this garbage is abusive!

Nishani 12-04-2008 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

lol. Well if they get a free meal (snack?) out of it I doubt they care, though I'm sure plenty of westerners will feel injustice for them.

Bleh, whatever, regardless of the free lunch (yeah right), it's always sickening to watch a corporation act in an exploitive way for profit - but as usual, you're just too self-conscious to show that you care.

greensgood 12-04-2008 06:46 PM

if they really have never eaten mcdonalds or burger king they are going to be sick!

Eclipse27 12-04-2008 07:02 PM

It's one of the dumbest marketing campaigns I've ever witnessed.

1. Since they have never had a burger, who are they to judge a good one?

2. Because they like one burger over the other, why on Earth does that mean that you would?

icreep heather 12-04-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

if they really have never eaten mcdonalds or burger king they are going to be sick!

I was saying that the other day. There are TOO many preservatives and chemicals in that crap. They're going to get sooo sick.

GinaKina 12-04-2008 07:18 PM

I just saw this on TV for the first time within the last hour.

I'd bet on it making them sick also, ick.

Irizary 12-04-2008 11:05 PM

They're outsourcing everything nowadays. Can't they find poor people who have never tried Burger King in Appalachia or rural Pennsylvania?

Anyway, it's insensitive.

SuicideBlonde 12-04-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreep heather View Post

I was saying that the other day. There are TOO many preservatives and chemicals in that crap. They're going to get sooo sick.

Agreed and what if they don't even eat cow to begin with.

Anyway its just stupid. Here have a nice big plate of cancer.

DNK 12-05-2008 12:45 AM

Meh. It's obvious that the contest is going to be rigged, I doubt the people taking part are even random villagers, and doubt they're unpaid, and highly doubt they're going to give honest opinions or that BK won't hand-pick the opinions they want. So it's just asinine marketing, but it does touch an ongoing trend of encroaching capitalism. Obviously, that debate isn't actually taking place in the commercials.

They'll all be hooked in a few years anyway...

Michael 12-05-2008 04:30 AM

Finally a voice of reason!

Do people believe everything they see on television? It's obvious they're actors.

And when will people realize by posting "viral" items they're really just promoting the very thing they're criticizing?

Scythe 12-05-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Bleh, whatever, regardless of the free lunch (yeah right), it's always sickening to watch a corporation act in an exploitive way for profit - but as usual, you're just too self-conscious to show that you care.

Or it could be that I just really, honestly am not crying inside over someone participating voluntarily in a taste-test for an ad. But I'm sure you know me so much better than that, and it's really such a sad, "sickening" event.

For the record, it's door A. I laugh when people are offended by such pathetic, meaningless crap as this.

Dirty Martini 12-05-2008 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreep heather View Post

I was saying that the other day. There are TOO many preservatives and

chemicals in that crap. They're going to get sooo sick.

I'm curious. What preservatives and chemicals are in a whopper and in what amounts?

dormouse 12-05-2008 07:00 AM

I didn't really react to this commercial one way or the other when I saw it, except I decided that I wanted to go out and get a veggie burger

broccolichick 12-05-2008 09:04 AM

I doubt they'll get 'sick'.

But I think it's kind of insensitive for a huge corporation to go to remote areas where they probably are in need nutritional basics and say, here try these two burgers and render your verdict, to prove a point for an advertising campaign. It seems exploitative.

GhostUser 12-05-2008 09:13 AM

I'm surprised so many people think this is real.

JLRodgers 12-05-2008 09:15 AM

Oh great.... now I'm craving a veggie burger..... I know I shouldn't of looked up "what's in a whopper" in google (and not just because the first thing returned involved a condom).

broccolichick 12-05-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

I know I shouldn't of looked up "what's in a whopper" in google (and not just because the first thing returned involved a condom).

Nishani 12-05-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Or it could be that I just really, honestly am not crying inside over someone participating voluntarily in a taste-test for an ad. But I'm sure you know me so much better than that, and it's really such a sad, "sickening" event.

For the record, it's door A. I laugh when people are offended by such pathetic, meaningless crap as this.

I don't have to actually know you to see what I believe is the pretense in your posts where you always make out like you don't care about anything.

SuicideBlonde 12-05-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I'm surprised so many people think this is real.

Most likely its fake.

GhostUser 12-05-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlystar View Post

Most likely its fake.

PlaybackGuru 12-05-2008 12:06 PM

The ad is real, they have a site set up to revel the results and many people are attacking Burger King for going into countries and using tons of money to ask a few people if the Whopper is better than the Big Mac, rather than spending the same amount and feeding an entire village!

Michael 12-05-2008 12:10 PM

How do you know it's real?

PlaybackGuru 12-05-2008 12:14 PM

I just read multiple news reports from google, which suggest its very real according to the backlash it has caused. Even if the results are obviously rigged, they traveled to said countries and feed people these burgers.

Scythe 12-05-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

I don't have to actually know you to see what I believe is the pretense in your posts where you always make out like you don't care about anything.

There are things I care about, but discussing them here is not on that list. I find virtually nothing offensive and I can't think of any time here I've said I didn't care about something and really did (or any reasons why I would bother). But you're probably just in denial so you can keep faith in humanity or something, so whatever, believe your heart out.

Eclipse27 12-05-2008 05:10 PM

Again, the results don't even mean anything.

If the people have never had a burger, then they don't know what makes one better than another.

It's equally as stupid as KFC's 10 piece dinner for under $10 challenge.

People tend to be too stupid to see through it.