Obese have right to 2 airline seats, court rules - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 11-23-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

Are you saying that the airlines should check potential obese passengers' past eating habits, rather than judge their eligibility by their present medical condition?

No, I'm saying that the medical establishment should determine who is eligible, not an airline.

Quote:

Also, regarding a comment you made a few pages back, I am curious about why you have an objection to someone using the "victim card." If you are a victim, why can't you use your card?

Playing a victim card while maintaining that this is not an issue you are especially sensitive to was the issue. One or the other can be true, but not both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 11-23-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonycat View Post

I don't see the point in distinguishing between the two.

So the minority who do overeat because they want to and do not want to change should get the same treatment as those who are overweight through no fault of their own? That doesn't seem very fair to the latter at all.

Weight is just one potential symptom of many disorders, or of none at all.

Someone with severe social anxiety problems should be eligible for special treatment, someone who delights in being anti-social should not. Some similar symptoms, completely different root cause.

And that is why it should be left to the medical establishment to determine who is eligible and who is not, for all potential disabilities.
#153 Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

No, I'm saying that the medical establishment should determine who is eligible, not an airline.

So you have no problem with a person who ate his way into obesity if the medical community recognizes the person as too obese to fit into an economy sized airline seat? As far as I know, obesity due to overeating and obesity due to anything else or a combination of both are both called "obesity" by the medical community.

Playing a victim card while maintaining that this is not an issue you are especially sensitive to was the issue. One or the other can be true, but not both.

That is convenient. If you are referring to the person I think you are, then I remember a different post in this thread where that person did say they were sensitive to remarks about obesity. So then the person is allowed to use the card? Or can we perhaps wonder if the person is sensitive about a certain aspect of the comments, but not others, or just not sensitive to the issue at hand, charging more for obese passengers?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So you have no problem with a person who ate his way into obesity if the medical community recognizes the person as too obese to fit into an economy sized airline seat? As far as I know, obesity due to overeating and obesity due to anything else or a combination of both are both called "obesity" by the medical community.

Quote:

That is convenient. If you are referring to the person I think you are, then I remember a different post in this thread where that person did say they were sensitive to remarks about obesity. So then the person is allowed to use the card? Or can we perhaps wonder if the person is sensitive about a certain aspect of the comments, but not others, such as the question of charging an obese passenger for an extra seat if it is needed?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#155 Old 11-23-2008, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Obesity IS a "medical condition", regardless of why or how the obesity occurred.

He/she/it said "reason". Maybe you can count eating as a medical reason, but... I think the point was fairly clear.
#156 Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM

maybe they should have fatair an airline just for fatties where they all have big seats and obviously pay a premium for their glutton so the others of us don't have to be squished by some disgusting big fat slobbering honker on our journey
#157 Old 11-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:

To the OP: I also don't understand why we have to pay to bring an animal in the cabin in a carrier stashed under the seat. That has never made sense to me.

Because people like me have little tiny dogs or cats, or birds that are like their kids, and we worry about if they are sad, or lonely or frightened....and there are too many stories out there of dogs left on runways, or crushed by loading equipment or let out only to get lost in strange cities when they travel in the storage compartments. It would be the equivelant of shipping your child down below the cabin.
#158 Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

It would be the equivelant of shipping your child down below the cabin.

And there are times when I wish people would do just that.
#159 Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

^^

That was tongue-in-cheek by the way, but the way this thread is going I figured I better come back and explain before someone accuses me of actually wanting to ship children in the cargo hold.

#160 Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Because people like me have little tiny dogs or cats, or birds that are like their kids, and we worry about if they are sad, or lonely or frightened....and there are too many stories out there of dogs left on runways, or crushed by loading equipment or let out only to get lost in strange cities when they travel in the storage compartments. It would be the equivelant of shipping your child down below the cabin.

No, Veggily took issue with having to pay extra when the animal doesn't take extra space on the plane. A child is free, why not a small animal?
#161 Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

^^

That was tongue-in-cheek by the way, but the way this thread is going I figured I better come back and explain before someone accuses me of actually wanting to ship children in the cargo hold.

That sounds like a good idea to me.
#162 Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

No, Veggily took issue with having to pay extra when the animal doesn't take extra space on the plane. A child is free, why not a small animal?

I'm sorry, I missed that one word "pay" as I read the post and that does make all the difference in the world doesn't, to the question.
#163 Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:

So you have no problem with a person who ate his way into obesity if the medical community recognizes the person as too obese to fit into an economy sized airline seat?

I'm sure the medical community is capable of establishing the reason behind obesity.

Quote:

That is convenient. If you are referring to the person I think you are, then I remember a different post in this thread where that person did say they were sensitive to remarks about obesity.

They seemed to argue that they were as sensitive to all disabilities, so if they did indeed say that they were especially sensitive to obesity then hopefully they can agree they were indeed playing the victim card as I said they were. Problem solved!

I think regardless of what I say you are going to deliberately misread it so I'll leave it at that. Mountains out of molehills are rather pointless I feel.
#164 Old 11-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

To the OP: I also don't understand why we have to pay to bring an animal in the cabin in a carrier stashed under the seat. That has never made sense to me.

I know someone with severe animal allergies that wonders why other people are even allowed to bring pets into the main cabin. I think they'd rather sit between a couple of 350 lb linebackers than have someone stash their cat under the seat.
#165 Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

I know someone with severe animal allergies that wonders why other people are even allowed to bring pets into the main cabin. I think they'd rather sit between a couple of 350 lb linebackers than have someone stash their cat under the seat.

Wouldn't they have to take medication anyway? They might have a reaction to someone who cuddled up with their cat earlier that day?
#166 Old 11-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Wouldn't they have to take medication anyway? They might have a reaction to someone who cuddled up with their cat earlier that day?

Medication can help reduce the severity of the reaction, but doesn't eliminate it. Especially in a closed, tight environment like an airplane cabin.
#167 Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 PM

I think it's unfair. While I do feel sorry for obese people it isn't fair on the airlines. My sister's really tall and she has to pay extra to get more leg room on long flights so she is comfortable so why should obese people get more space for free?! If (for the small percentage) it is related to medical issues maybe that could be an exception?
#168 Old 11-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristobel View Post

If (for the small percentage) it is related to medical issues maybe that could be an exception?

Nope. Unless the tall are given an exception too. Like the medically obese, the tall can't help being tall, but still have to pay.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#169 Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm sure the medical community is capable of establishing the reason behind obesity.

And I'm the one that misreads? It sounds to me like you are pretty much assuming that the medical community will say "Oh, that's an overeater, and that one is a former overeater. No free extra tickets for them. Next!" I disagree with your assumption. That's all I'm saying.

As to your other point about mountains and molehills, I feel you missed my point. I will leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristobel View Post

I think it's unfair. While I do feel sorry for obese people it isn't fair on the airlines. My sister's really tall and she has to pay extra to get more leg room on long flights so she is comfortable so why should obese people get more space for free?! If (for the small percentage) it is related to medical issues maybe that could be an exception?

I am short, but I think the seats are inadequate for tall people (in the normal range) and that them having to buy an extra ticket or a first class ticket just so they can fit into the seat is unfair. If they want to buy an extra seat or larger seat for comfort, that's fine, but when they feel they have to in order to feel okay when they reach their destination, that doesn't seem okay. JMO.

#170 Old 11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Medication can help reduce the severity of the reaction, but doesn't eliminate it. Especially in a closed, tight environment like an airplane cabin.

But what about people who cuddled with their pets earlier? Would they have a reaction them? Cat fur sticks to everything.
#171 Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That is a good point. I would not want to bring animals on a flight that might cause a problem for people with severe allergies. Nobody with a severe animal allergy or phobia should be seated near an animal. I don't know how that could be worked out. Perhaps they should let the airline know to make sure they are not seated anywhere near an animal? Or the airline can book them on an animal free flight? Hmmmm.

#172 Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

did someone bring up the bus and train question already? for those of you who think obese passengers should be required to pay for an extra ticket, do you also think that these people should be charged extra fare for the bus and train? Some of them do take up more than one seat of space. Just curious. It wouldn't make sense to have to pay extra for an airline ticket and not a bus or train ticket.

#173 Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

How about an increased tax burden for taking up more space on the sidewalk?
#174 Old 11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

And there are times when I wish people would do just that.

there are times when i might have considered it, but the waiting list was too long.

(just kidding.)

#175 Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I know people with severe allergies to perfumes and detergents, so sitting in an enclosed area with people wearing perfume could potentially cause problems. Ditto sitting on fabric seats that people leaned against. Should we ban people from wearing perfumes and using scented detergents before they get on a plane? What about peanuts?

If she/he understood what happens to animals who are put below the cabin, they wouldn't wonder anymore. I think an "animal free" plane wouldn't be such a bad idea though.
#176 Old 11-23-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:

i know people with severe allergies to perfumes and detergents, so sitting in an enclosed area with people wearing perfume could potentially cause problems. Ditto sitting on fabric seats that people leaned against. Should we ban people from wearing perfumes and using scented detergents before they get on a plane? What about peanuts?

If she/he understood what happens to animals who are put below the cabin, they wouldn't wonder anymore. I think an "animal free" plane wouldn't be such a bad idea though.

+1
#177 Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i know people with severe allergies to perfumes and detergents, so sitting in an enclosed area with people wearing perfume could potentially cause problems. Ditto sitting on fabric seats that people leaned against. Should we ban people from wearing perfumes and using scented detergents before they get on a plane? What about peanuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

+1

+2

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#178 Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but it's hard to accomodate everyone. I'm one of the people with severe skin allergies to detergents. I have mild asthma and SEVERE seasonal allergies. I suffer almost around the clock, but I wouldn't put my comfort over the lives of other people or animals.
#179 Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

when i hear severe allergic reaction, i think potential anaphylactic shock, i.e. life-threatening, so that's what i figured red was talking about. i thought that peanuts were generally avoided on flights nowadays as that allergy is so widespread. i know what you mean about the perfumes and stuff. i get a reaction to certain perfumes and chemicals. i get such a bad headache when stuck around it for too long that i sometimes end up in bed. so i know what you mean (i think!) and agree about it being difficult to accommodate everyone, all the time.

p.s. eleven, that made me laugh.

#180 Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

when i hear severe allergic reaction, i think potential anaphylactic shock, i.e. life-threatening, so that's what i figured red was talking about. i thought that peanuts were generally avoided on flights nowadays as that allergy is so widespread. i know what you mean about the perfumes and stuff. i get a reaction to certain perfumes and chemicals. i get such a bad headache when stuck around it for too long that i sometimes end up in bed. so i know what you mean (i think!) and agree about it being difficult to accommodate everyone, all the time.

p.s. eleven, that made me laugh.

With me, the detergent thing is such an issue that I can't sit down on a fabric chair until my clothing is completely over my skin. I get a rash in a matter of minutes. At my job, when I work fries or with tomatoes (assembling burgers), I get BAD rashes up my arms (hand to elbow, inner arm). I still have one (finally going away) from almost 2 weeks ago. My skin is just super sensitive. I definately wouldn't expect others to accomodate though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page