Obese have right to 2 airline seats, court rules - Page 20 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#571 Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post

Now, I can still swim and I can bike with a knee brace, even if I can no longer run without potentially re-injuring myself.

This stinks, doesn't it? I couldn't even swim for a while and even now I have to watch my movements and the way I push myself from the side of the pool. I don't go swimming very often though as the pool is a 20 km drive away.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to offend anyone. It's true, I do get a little frustrated, and for that I apologize.

Yes, me too sometimes. "Weight" is a very frustrating issue for too many people.

Quote:
And I also agree that doctors are pretty much never pleased, no matter how much you lose. They set short-term, attainable goals, but make it look like they're the final goal. That's a very unfair thing to do. It's like if I was a tutor for someone who didn't want to go to college, even though they needed to, and I made it look like all they had to do was finish a semester. Then, they finish the semester, and are looking for some approval and praise, and I tell them, "Good job! Now, go do it again."

Word! I hate how some dieticians and/or physicians tell patients that they just have to cut back on this or that and everything will be fine and the patient thin and healthy and that there is really no "real cutting back" because all this low fat food tastes soooooo good. I say BS! Don't lie to your patients! Duh! The food does taste different and depending on how much weight loss is desired the patient will sooner or later have to eat smaller portions and will have to pick up an exercise regiment different from taking a 20 min walk a day. I would feel duped as well if someone would play that game with me.

Quote:
They should be happy to attain their short-term goals, but they're unlikely to feel that way if they've been deceived into thinking, "Just lose this much weight, and they'll leave me alone!"

Yes, patients are proud they got their task done and then are told it was just one little step into the right direction.

I remember a physician saying that helping patients lose weight is very frustrating - for both the patient and the doctor because success rates are so low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

#573 Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

From the American Lung Association:

More than 45.7 million Americans have quit. Many of them tried several times before they were able to quit. They made it and quit for good.

http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9...ng_Smoking.htm

Studies have shown that smokers have about a 5% rate of quitting for good. The rate tripled to 15% when study participants were offered money to quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#574 Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

This stinks, doesn't it? I couldn't even swim for a while and even now I have to watch my movements and the way I push myself from the side of the pool. I don't go swimming very often though as the pool is a 20 km drive away.

I'm very lucky, there's one in my backyard!

Quote:

Word! I hate how some dieticians and/or physicians tell patients that they just have to cut back on this or that and everything will be fine and the patient thin and healthy and that there is really no "real cutting back" because all this low fat food tastes soooooo good. I say BS! Don't lie to your patients! Duh! The food does taste different and depending on how much weight loss is desired the patient will sooner or later have to eat smaller portions and will have to pick up an exercise regiment different from taking a 20 min walk a day. I would feel duped as well if someone would play that game with me.

I've had that game played with me before. It made me want to shake the doctor.

Then again, this is the same doctor who reliably mis-diagnosed pneumonia as the common cold, time after time. I really don't know why I expected him to be any better at nutrition and weight loss goals... I wound up doing the research and setting out on my own. Being told one thing after the other, following fad diet after fad diet and completing exercises designed to "target" my "problem areas"... argh! He had me on everything from Atkins (I've never felt that depressed and weighed-down... I thought I was gonna die!) to cottage cheese fasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

That is AWESOME!!
#575 Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I saw that lolcat today and knew exactly where I had to post it
#576 Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Unfortunately, so many of these studies are unreliable, due to the fact that they are often conducted by proponents of weight-loss gimmicks and fad diets and weight loss pills. They don't want us to believe it's something that can be done through sheer willpower. They want the consumer to feel helpless and overwhelmed, so that they'll shell out for anything to help them lose weight.

Then, when this expensive fad nonsense doesn't work, the person is left feeling even more helpless. Instead of saying, "Huh. Maybe that pill/diet/etc. was a load of ****," they think, "I really must be a lost case if not even [insert weight-loss gimmick here] didn't work for me!"

In many ways, the attitude towards weight loss is similar to the attitude towards diabetes. It's been proven, time and again, that diabetes is linked to lifestyle, and furthermore, that a simple change in diet and exercise can reliably eliminate Type II, and significantly improve Type I.

But nobody wants to believe it can be that easy, and simultaneously, that difficult. Nobody wants to give up the ice cream and the processed lunch-meat. Nobody wants to listen to that little voice inside that says, "I know I shouldn't be eating this..." because they don't want to give it up. And this defeatist attitude regarding weight loss is NOT helping. Obesity, heart disease, and diabetes are all on the rise. Moreover, they're all linked to one another. Add to this the fact that they're all reliably and credibly linked to lifestyle choices and you have a solution that is beautiful in its simplicity, but that nonetheless people don't want because it makes a bigger demand of them than popping a pill, or even taking a shot, wearing a pump, of undergoing surgery.

That, my dears, is sad.

I'm sorry, but cite? I have read many of these studies, most done by clinical health psychologists at various universities and research institutions.
#577 Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Studies have shown that smokers have about a 5% rate of quitting for good. The rate tripled to 15% when study participants were offered money to quit.

I wonder how long that abstinence lasted.
#578 Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm very lucky, there's one in my backyard!

Oh, the jealousy!

How big is the pool?
#579 Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh, the jealousy!

How big is the pool?

It's a regular size for an in-ground backyard pool. It's got a shallow end, a deep end, and a diving board.

It's not mine though (I wish!!!)... it's my boyfriend's family's house, I just live with them in the summers.
#580 Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I can imagine it would be hard to lose weight of there were no grocery stores near me and (if I was an omni) I had to get most of my food from fast food restaurants: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...aking-you-fat/
#581 Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I can imagine it would be hard to lose weight of there were no grocery stores near me and (if I was an omni) I had to get most of my food from fast food restaurants: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...aking-you-fat/

That's fascinating! I know I gain weight when I come back to my badly-zoned hometown, but when I live in mini-grocery-friendly Montreal, I lose a tonne.
#582 Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Beginner

They should be supported to lose weight and helped to adress the things that caused them to be obese in the first place.
#583 Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Install smaller doors on the planes, that'll fix it.

lol that's funny
#584 Old 07-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I can imagine that it must be hard work to figure out how wide a door would exactly have to be to let people with a BMI of 29.99999 through but not a person with a BMI of 30.00001.
#585 Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginner

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but in my opinion, if you're taking up two seats, pay for two seats. Otherwise, it just isn't fair that someone else missed out on taking that flight.

I'm quite tall. I don't get a 2-for-1 deal when I buy jeans. I pay more because they use more material to make my clothing. That. Is. Life.
#586 Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't read this entire thread so ignore me if this has been said before. I think airlines should charge per pound, not per seat, including a per pound charge for any and all cargo you bring. Someone bringing 100 pounds onto an airplane is charged more per gallon of fuel than someone who brings 300 pounds.
#587 Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

I haven't read this entire thread so ignore me if this has been said before. I think airlines should charge per pound, not per seat, including a per pound charge for any and all cargo you bring. Someone bringing 100 pounds onto an airplane is charged more per gallon of fuel than someone who brings 300 pounds.

O.O Perhaps per cubic foot would be better >.>

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page