Is it selfish to want a pup, rather than adopting a dog in need of a home? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

[youtube]_cb4dMOdI3Y[/youtube]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Um, EXCUSE ME!?!? I dont even think I can reply to this without saying many ****ing things that would get me banned from VB. I would NEVER think that ANY breed is dangerous, I AM very against BSL, you have NO idea about my views or what I do for dogs, I have a rescued pitbull. I'm not replying anymore, because I am pissed. I am not getting banned because of you.

OK but it was YOU who said it would be a good comparison for BSL, not me. I corrected you because by saying that you were implying that some dogs breeds of dog were more dangerous than others, now that may not have been what you intended but that is how it clearly came accross when you said "So that would be more of a good comparison for baning certain breeds of dogs"
#93 Old 11-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterpixie View Post

OK but it was YOU who said it would be a good comparison for BSL, not me. I corrected you because by saying that you were implying that some dogs breeds of dog were more dangerous than others, now that may not have been what you intended but that is how it clearly came accross when you said "So that would be more of a good comparison for baning certain breeds of dogs"

I think it was obvious what I meant, that the arugement related more to BSL, the way you were talking about accidents. I have made it VERY clear, NUMBEROUS times all over this board, how against BSL I am. Even after me saying it the first time, for you to say AGAIN, that it's 'very strange' if I am agaisnt to say something like that, is sarcastic and implying how I feel. You have NO idea how I feel or how passionate I am against BSL, so for you to imply something so ridiculous is just uncalled for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

I read the posts and I thought it was clear.
#95 Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you!
#96 Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I see that vidoe was made by PETA. Would that be the same PETA that spent supporters money to go to court to demand the destruction of over 50 pitbulls which already had homes lined up? The same PETA that supports laws that would lead to the mass abandonment,suffering and destruction of pitbulls? Glad they're pretending to care about dogs.
#97 Old 11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, same PETA. As much as you'd like to think that completely changed the facts in the video, it doesn't. I've been to many animal shelters, there's no way in heck I'd call myself an animal lover if I bought from a breeder.

By the way, I have a pit bull.
#98 Old 11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think it was obvious what I meant, that the arugement related more to BSL, the way you were talking about accidents.

Accedents relateing to a certain type of car, how on earth would that relate to BSL if you weren't referring to certain breeds of dogs?
#99 Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Glad they're pretending to care about dogs.

Yeah, and the proponent of breeding and purchasing designer dogs has room to talk?

The very simple fact remains that there is an overpopulation of "good" dogs such that many millions around the world are poisoned, gas, shot, hung, burned, and any manner of being put to death, because they have no homes. There is no good reason to purposely bring more onto the planet. In fact it's cruel.

Also, I think what's happening in Switzerland has fairly little relevance to what can get passed in the U.S. In the whole picture of it, I believe that mandatory spay/neuter...which is an extension of the extant shelter system...would go over better than ownership tests and strict monitoring of care (which there isn't enough manpower to do here), and such. The U.S. has a very different system of government and values, as far as passable legislation, taking care of animals and humans, and the "rights" to do as one will, than most of Europe. Ever look down in the compost heap re. the discussions about single-payer healthcare in the U.S.? Ever look at discussions about gun ownership in the U.S.?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#100 Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^^^^ +1
#101 Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Accedents relateing to a certain type of car, how on earth would that relate to BSL if you weren't referring to certain breeds of dogs?

omg, I was saying it sounded like an arguement for bsl, OF COURSE THATS ABOUT CERTAIN BREEDS!!! I didn't say I AGREED with it, I said I DISAGREED with it, now NUMBEROUS TIMES. So you can PRETEND you know how I feel, but you don't. All I was saying, is that your arguement was silly, and didn't relate. It's not that hard to tell that I AM AGAINST BSL. End of that topic, stop trying to get me upset about it. Grow up.
#102 Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Yeah, same PETA. As much as you'd like to think that completely changed the facts in the video, it doesn't. I've been to many animal shelters, there's no way in heck I'd call myself an animal lover if I bought from a breeder.

By the way, I have a pit bull.

Exactly.
#103 Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Love you danak!

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#104 Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

Love you danak!

#105 Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Glitterpixie, you continue to amaze me with every new post..not in a good way.

I agree with you there animallover7249, despite some occasional good information I think I'm going to have to roll out the ignore button for GP. The awful insulting tone of the posts just adds to the headache.
#106 Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Aww... I feel the
#107 Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 PM

#108 Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

How many more dogs would there be if those people stopped helping out in shelters? stopped trying to get people to rescue?

probably a lot less, they would be deemed a problem and put down sooner than later.
#109 Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Obviously I dont believe that if I am against BSL. I didn't say it sounded good. It just sounded more like some bull**** people would say to try to convince me my pitbull is a killer.

Good owners shouldn't go to breeders, though. Those dogs in rescues need good homes. Breeders are taken those good owners away from rescue dogs/the dogs already on this planet.

I never said I was targeting good owners. why would I do that? "good" breeders make a demand for a dog. "good" breeders take good owners away from rescue dogs. "good" breeders add dogs to the world even though there are so many already here that are fighting for a home. Every single dog that is bought from a breeder, is a family that could have went to a shelter/rescue/pound and saved a life. And as long as 'good breeders' continue to breed, they will continue to take homes away from rescue dogs.

sometimes good owners want a specific type of dog from a reliable source. Breeders are not taking good owners away from anything, that is a falisy.

Owners make a demand for a dog not breeders. That's like saying farmers make a demand for vegetables.
#110 Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Um, EXCUSE ME!?!? I dont even think I can reply to this without saying many ****ing things that would get me banned from VB. I would NEVER think that ANY breed is dangerous, I AM very against BSL, you have NO idea about my views or what I do for dogs, I have a rescued pitbull. I'm not replying anymore, because I am pissed. I am not getting banned because of you.

boy talk about reading into a post..... your pissed because you are reading things into her post that just aren't there.
#111 Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

please that is such a crock of dog poop it's disgusting. 4 million dogs die every yr because of ignorance, back yard breeders and puppy mills.

PETA has sunk to a new low in my book.
#112 Old 11-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think it was obvious what I meant, that the arugement related more to BSL, the way you were talking about accidents. I have made it VERY clear, NUMBEROUS times all over this board, how against BSL I am. Even after me saying it the first time, for you to say AGAIN, that it's 'very strange' if I am agaisnt to say something like that, is sarcastic and implying how I feel. You have NO idea how I feel or how passionate I am against BSL, so for you to imply something so ridiculous is just uncalled for.

and again your reading things into her post that just are not there.
#113 Old 11-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

I agree with you there animallover7249, despite some occasional good information I think I'm going to have to roll out the ignore button for GP. The awful insulting tone of the posts just adds to the headache.

what awful insulting tone of her posts???

Some people be tripping.
#114 Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

For the record I haven't seen anything "awfully insulting" from glitterpixie myself. But then, I'm someone who has an uncanny ability to insult all sorts of people without meaning to and without realising it.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#115 Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

For the record I haven't seen anything "awfully insulting" from glitterpixie myself. But then, I'm someone who has an uncanny ability to insult all sorts of people without meaning to and without realising it.

that's cause your an Aussie, something about the water down there I think.
#116 Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

please that is such a crock of dog poop it's disgusting. 4 million dogs die every yr because of ignorance, back yard breeders and puppy mills.

PETA has sunk to a new low in my book.

They die because of overpopulation, which breeders of all kinds contribute to.

Breeders also contribute to the idea of dogs as things to be manipulated, ordered, and purchased - while so many millions of "good" ones are killed for lack of homes.

Are there any values of PETA's that you agree with?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#117 Old 11-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Breeders also contribute to the idea of dogs as things to be ordered and purchased - they're in the business of designer dogs - while so many millions go without homes.

Once upon a time but their stated ultimate goal soured that a long time ago.

as GP tried to point out earlier there is a difference between what would be considered responsible breeders and the piece of dung you are talking about.

Unlike GP I understand that AR folks are under the impression there is no such thing as a good breeder, and though I may argue that position on canine forums I visit, the reality of situation is a little less black and white.
#118 Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

Once upon a time but their stated ultimate goal soured that a long time ago.

as GP tried to point out earlier there is a difference between what would be considered responsible breeders and the piece of dung you are talking about.

Unlike GP I understand that AR folks are under the impression there is no such thing as a good breeder, and though I may argue that position on canine forums I visit, the reality of situation is a little less black and white.

Well, which ones? PETA has always operated on the principles that animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or other purposes that are not for THEIR benefit, i.e. not how we can use them for our own purposes. I question your condemnaton of PETA in this thread because I'm not sure that you embrace any of their values.

So-called responsible breeders are still contributing to the overpopulation problem, when there are many millions being killed. It's that simple. There are too many dogs and not enough homes, and breeders are taking it upon themselves to put more dogs out into the world - by SELLING them, which also contributes to the idea of dogs as commodities, not as sentient beings.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#119 Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Breeders also contribute to the idea of dogs as things to be manipulated, ordered, and purchased - while so many millions of "good" ones are killed for lack of homes.

and something else that I should point out, breeders don't contribute to the idea of dogs as things, the law does. They are considered property by the gov'ts in power not breeders.

The reason they can be manipulated, ordered and purchased is because that is how humans are, and it's gotten worse with the advent of the internet not better.

After all even rescues these days see no problems shipping dogs around the world to fill a void in another area, what makes their manipulation, ordering and purchasing any different? Nothing .
#120 Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, which ones? PETA has always operated on the principles that animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or other purposes that are not for THEIR benefit, i.e. not how we can use them for our own purposes. I question your condemnaton of PETA because I'm not sure that you embrace any of their values.

So-called responsible breeders are still contributing to the overpopulation problem, when there are many millions being killed. It's that simple. There are too many dogs and not enough homes, and breeders are taking it upon themselves to put more dogs out into the world - by SELLING them, which also contributes to the idea of dogs as commodities, not as sentient beings.

What bearing does it have on this conversation? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

One of the difference you fail to grasp in regards to what some of us consider responsible breeding. One of things that people I think fall into that catagory do is wait until they have enough pre orders (ie all potiental pups spoken for) before they even attempt to get the ***** pregnant.

The people willing to pay a deposit up front and sit on a wait list are not looking for a pound puppy. They are looking for a specific type of dog with proven traits.

You don't think rescues sell them? Or don't you consider the exchange of funds as a transaction? As long as humans consider property in the eyes of the law they will be seen as commodities.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page