So is anyone (USA or otherwise) worried about the election no matter what? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Basically just what the title says -- is anyone here worried (even slightly, or just really hopeful that their candidate of choice isn't being deceitful [ - pardon me]) about the upcoming election no matter who wins it?

For example:

Like anyone worried if McCain wins that every state with a gay marriage ban amendment will pass? That the economy will go the way of Iceland? Or perhaps he'll die and we'll get Palin as president? Or maybe he might be more "pro torture" or "getting even" for people in a war than others? Or maybe that the country, with the Palin's help, will turn into the "United Christian States of America"? Or fear that birth control might be outlawed for kids in schools (to buy/etc) since abstinence is the way to go?

Or people worried that Obama being the candidate for "change" has a running mate that's seasoned, that if he dies will take over. Or maybe think his plans won't exactly work? Or just be worried that maybe he doesn't know how to do what he wants -- which might cause more harm than good once it gets put through the political grinder (imagine if the health care became "no health insurance = fines, but it comes out of your own pocket to have it" once it would become a law [similar to car insurance things])?

Or maybe just fear that no matter which wins, neither seem to be (depending on the week, interview, etc) for ending the wars in general?

Or maybe be afraid that he's (either) changed his story on things, and they're not completely sure where he stands?

Or perhaps that the two candidates, based on platforms as seen on websites/news/their own site/interviews, seem eerily similar in a way that no matter who gets in, they'll be doing the same things in different areas that are important to you, yet neither have the same goal as you (ex: neither are for gay marriage, both think the states should decide)?

Just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

If McCain/Palin wins I will be really frightened. I've bitten off all my nails and had problems sleeping the past week.
#3 Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Like Hollywoodveg, I'm just worried about McCain winning.

I don't think Obama will actually be able to do everything he promises in his campaigning, given the current economic crisis, but I do think he'll be a major improvement and genuinely help the country. And even if he were to die, I think Biden would do just fine.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not think anything dire or earth shattering will happen either way.
#5 Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I survived 8 years of Bush so I guess I can survive anything. Especially when I thought he would be a goner in 2004.

While I could almost stand it if McCain won, with Palin right behind him, that is beyond scary. I think the McCain camp really wanted a female running mate. I can't help but wonder what republican females turned him down before he had to pick that Palin.

Campaign promises are usually pretty weak. I remember when Clinton promised national health and when gays in the military just became "don't as, don't tell" I'm not really holding out for anything

All and all, I think the country has a better chance with Obama so I hope he wins.

On another board several years ago someone started a thread that they hoped we would have a female president someday. I commented back that I would prefer a non white president over a female in particular. I however don't have a lot of passion for Obama. I still prefer him to be the next president though.
#6 Old 10-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm worried that the poor are being forgotten in this focus on the middle class.
#7 Old 10-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

I'm worried that the poor are being forgotten in this focus on the middle class.

Just curious, but by both main parties, or just one?
#8 Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

I think that most of the policies to help the middle class are also intended to help the poor. For instance, the creation of jobs would hire poor people and help elevate them to middle class income levels. And they get the benefit of tax cuts and refunds for the middle class, as well. But there are issues like welfare that are being completely ignored this election, so I do see your point.

I am worried that social security isn't being talked about at all this election. One of the main issues of the 2000 election was fixing it, yet it's still just as broken, and it's not being treated as urgent any more. Personally, I'm planning for my retirement based on the assumption that social security won't exist by the time I retire in 30 years.

--Fromper

#9 Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Just curious, but by both main parties, or just one?

Sadly, both.
#10 Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

i think that when the focus is on the middle class that the poor get helped too.
#11 Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
DNK
Veggie Regular

I'm not really enthusiastic about either candidate, but I certainly would be much happier with an Obama presidency.

Obama just reeks of corporate candidate with the same dislike of civil liberties as the last guy, though. I want to see someone kicking lobbyists out of DC, turning campaigns into publicly-funded events that give other candidates a shot and get rid of the distorting and mostly negative influence of PACs, etc, and that stands up to regulatory capture and industry throughout politics and life, not to mention someone that actually upholds the constitution and its values.

I don't see much of that on either side, and actually think McCain would do better by a number of these standards. But I guess we'll see what's election rhetoric and what isn't eventually...
#12 Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Impeach the gangster

It bothers me that, either way, our foreign policy will still be one of aggression, rather than of good example.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#13 Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It's gonna be a tough four years, that's for sure...
#14 Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

We're goin to hell in a handbasket no matter what. I have no hope for the future of the US right now. We'll get through it all but I wonder the cost no matter will be.
#15 Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Banned

The US government is run by 3 branches, the President just runs the executive branch and will have very little influence over the other 2 branches. Even if a president had plans for radical changes he'd have a very difficult time enacting that change in the face of the other 2 branches of government. The reality is you will see very few changes in the status quo of government no matter who is elected. Its only after a few years in office that a president can gather the momentum to really start making subtle changes.
#16 Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

MrF I tend to agree with such sentiment, though (a) I also agree that the power - explicitly granted and otherwise - has gone too far, and (2) won't O (if he wins) have a congress full of Ds? And won't he likely be appointing 2 SCOTUS Justices?
#17 Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Over the past election years, it always seems like if representatives/senators elected are the opposite to what the president is. Not always, but it just seems like it at least.
#18 Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Banned

I'm not worried, but I think the country is screwed either way.
#19 Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't like either candidate's health care plan. They both suck (I'm pretty happy with the health insurance I have.) But I really don't think that either plan will really happen. Clinton promised universal health care and we all see how well that panned out.

My biggest concern is that if Obama is elected that defense spending will be cut drastically and I'll be out of a job. Call me selfish but I like living indoors.
#20 Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Over the past election years, it always seems like if representatives/senators elected are the opposite to what the president is. Not always, but it just seems like it at least.

Not true. It really depends on what else is going on and the mood of the country.

In 92, the Dems held their Congressional majority when Clinton got elected, but the Republicans took over in 94, which wasn't a presidential election year. The Repubs kept their majority while Clinton got re-elected in 96, so that's the one recent one where it was opposite parties. In 2000 and 2004, the Repubs kept their majority while Bush came into office and kept it, so they matched then, but then the Dems took over during a non-presidential year (2006).

This year, the Dems are definitely going to hold on to their majority, and probably take even bigger control, no matter who wins the presidency. Because of that, Obama's far more likely to actually pass his agenda than McCain would be, since he'll have a friendly Congress if elected. If McCain wins, we'll probably see repeats of all the Congress vs President stuff of the last two years.

--Fromper

#21 Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I do not think anything dire or earth shattering will happen either way.

I couldnt agree more.
#22 Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that Obama is the lesser of two evils and either way the US won't be a place I'd want to live in.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Not that long ago in the Clinton era things weren't that bad, not perfect either, but not that bad. We had decent foreign relations and a surplus. I have faith we can start to rebuild those two things when Obama wins. I think his stance on healthcare and civil unions also give me more faith that out country would be going on a more decent path, and hopefully an end to Iraq. I don't think everything is that grim, and I'm pretty effing cynical.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page