I voted for Obama today in a battleground state! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

So early voting in Florida started on Monday, October 20. I went to the polls today (Friday) and voted for Obama, and other Democrats. There are a couple of Dems around here I wouldn't vote for, but luckily, I don't live in those districts, so I was able to vote a straight Democratic ticket. I also voted against the gay marriage ban, among other things.

Anyone else vote early?

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted (for Obama) on Wednesday in North Carolina which is a swing state for a change. I did not vote a straight Democratic ticket, and voting for a Democrat for President is something I wouldn't have figured I would do a few months ago. Things change--even for those of us who are registered Republicans.
#3 Old 10-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't voted early. I read in the paper today that early voters tend to lean GOP, but this time around, Obama has energized such a strong base that he's picking up a lot of early voters.

Also, there's a concern about voter fraud on election day discriminating against those who would like vote for Democrats like Obama by discouraging them from voting at all, so I think some of THOSE voters are voting early to avoid that.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Chryssiie718 and I went and voted yesterday Like Fromper, pretty much a straight Democratic ballot. I voted against Florida's amendment 2 of course (marriage protection act). I also voted against our county's drunk of a sheriff.
#5 Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I've sent in my absentee ballot back home (New Jersey.) Voted for Obama!

I am not 100% sure, but it appears likely that on Election Day I will be doing poll watching/voter protection work in Ohio for Obama.
#6 Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

I've sent in my absentee ballot back home (New Jersey.) Voted for Obama!

I am not 100% sure, but it appears likely that on Election Day I will be doing poll watching/voter protection work in Ohio for Obama.

Good - and hopefully you'll keep an eye out for voter fraud while you're at it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10252008...llo_135152.htm

Quote:
Thirteen campaign workers for Barack Obama yesterday yanked their voter registrations and ballots in Ohio after being warned by a prosecutor that temporary residents can't vote in the battleground state.

A dozen staffers - including Obama Ohio spokeswoman Olivia Alair and James Cadogan, who recently joined Team Obama - signed a form letter asking the Franklin County elections board to pull their names from the rolls.

#7 Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

maybe you'll be headed to my home battleground of Franklin county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post

我喜欢吃男性肉

我请你吃饭

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#8 Old 10-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

And ironically, since voting yesterday, I started getting more political phone calls today. I got one from the Obama campaign, so I told them I already voted for him. The other was much more fun - it was the campaign of a Republican running for the county commission who I'd voted against. I enjoyed telling that guy that I'd voted for the opposition.

--Fromper

#9 Old 10-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Yesterday I voted for Obama, and I voted against the "marriage protection act." I sure hope it doesn't pass! *fingers crossed*

ETA, I am also in Florida.
#10 Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

Yesterday I voted for Obama, and I voted against the "marriage protection act." I sure hope it doesn't pass! *fingers crossed*

ETA, I am also in Florida.

Hah, my wife flipped someone the bird earlier for having a Yes On 2 sticker
#11 Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

I love your wife!

Oh, er- I mean... go Wifey!
#12 Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I just saw an article with early voting totals by party for the first week of early voting in Florida (last Monday through Sunday):

Quote:

Total ballots cast, 1,998,251: Democrats 876,942, or 43.89 percent; Republicans 818,500, or 40.96 percent; Other 15.15 percent, or 302,809.

The total state population as of 2007 was just over 18.25 million, which includes children and non-citizens, so I'm not sure how many are eligible or registered to vote. That's a pretty high turnout so far, though, especially given that early voting is only half over, and many more people will vote on election day.

--Fromper

#13 Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM

I voted last Thursday in Wisconsin for Obama.
#14 Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend and I voted early today because we are leaving on vacation during the election. We proudly voted for the only progressive option that fights for workers over corporations. We voted for Ralph Nader! How dare Obama capitulate on the fraud of the Wall Street Bailout and shame to the sychophants who continue to trust him despite his backwards trend on: Hand guns, FISA, off shore drilling and now this Bailout.
#15 Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

wow ballsy lady flipping someone off as you drive by. that is until you get someone like me who has been known to get in front of the person and force them to stop in the middle of the road back up traffic and ask them to stop out of their car and try it now. Which on both occasions resulted in them franticly rolling up the window and locking the doors.
#16 Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

wow ballsy lady flipping someone off as you drive by. that is until you get someone like me who has been known to get in front of the person and force them to stop in the middle of the road back up traffic and ask them to stop out of their car and try it now. Which on both occasions resulted in them franticly rolling up the window and locking the doors.

You're such a big man
#17 Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

Quote:

You're such a big man

Indeed. Whatever were you doing, guinnesshero, to cause someone to flip you off?
#18 Old 10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post

My boyfriend and I voted early today because we are leaving on vacation during the election. We proudly voted for the only progressive option that fights for workers over corporations. We voted for Ralph Nader! How dare Obama capitulate on the fraud of the Wall Street Bailout and shame to the sychophants who continue to trust him despite his backwards trend on: Hand guns, FISA, off shore drilling and now this Bailout.

Please.....
#19 Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Please.....

Please, inform me about how exactly Obama is concerned about the interests of the working class over Wall Street?
#20 Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell me how Nader could possibly effectively govern?
#21 Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You're such a big man

call me big man all you want but some dont put up with drive by bravery.

Quote:
Whatever were you doing, guinnesshero, to cause someone to flip you off?

in the one case some ****wit cuts over into my lane without looking and almost hits me then flips ME off. the second one wasnt a flip off im on the interstate and someone is ridding on my bumber so I slow down for them to go around and instead of passing they just ride even closer to try and push me along.So I slow down to about 40 trying to get them to pass and they ride up so close they are about an inch from my bumper so I had enough. My point is people like to get brave when they are in their car and think that they are safe from retribution for their stupid actions when they aren't. You never know who is in the other car nor what they are capable of.
#22 Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

guinnesshero, in all honesty, I barely raised my hand above the dash so I totally doubt anyone even saw my "naughty gesture." I am not as brave as my dear hubby made it sound!! As this is totally off topic.... I won't describe my own experiences with bad drivers!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#23 Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe that little lady has a gun douche bag mother****er
#24 Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe that little lady has a gun douche bag mother****er

first of all neither of my cases were female. Second i have a concealed carry permit.Oh and im the douche bag when you guys are flipping people off for their political affiliation?
#25 Old 10-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Totally off topic guys!!! Enough already! I apologize for my hot-headed husband who hadn't even read my post!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#26 Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

mod post: can we return to talking about who voted early, please. thanks.
#27 Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

And back on topic: Apparently, early voting has been expanded here in Florida!!!

Apparently, in 2005, the Florida State Legislature, which is completely dominated by Republicans, passed a law, signed by then-Governor Jeb "W's brother" Bush, limiting the times and places of early voting. It can only take place in certain types of buildings - elections offices, libraries, and I think city halls, so not in schools or community centers where election day voting often takes place. Also, they limited it to 8 hours per day on week days and 8 hours for the entire weekend.

I'm still trying to figure out how these people avoid lynch mobs and keep their jobs after limiting voting this way. There were only 11 or 12 early voting places for all of Palm Beach County in 2004, and our new-at-the-time Supervisor of Elections promised to expand that to cut down on lines in the future, but we've got the same 11 locations this year, with 2+ hour lines most of the time. Apparently, Republicans are convinced that the more people who vote, the more likely they are to lose their jobs, so they're cheating any way they can.

On Tuesday, Governor Charlie Crist signed an executive order to keep early voting places open from 7 am to 7 pm on week days and expand the hours to 12 hours over this coming weekend.

This is the same Republican governor who endorsed McCain before the primary here in Florida and helped him get the nomination in the first place. There was even talk of him possibly being a VP pick before McCain picked Palin. Crist goes against his own party in the state legislature fairly often, and he's immensely popular for it. He's the type of "maverick" that McCain used to be before selling his soul to the conservative base in 2004 in the hopes of winning the presidency this year. In two years, when Crist runs for re-election, I may have to seriously consider voting for a Republican for the first time. But a lot can happen before then, and I'll have to see who his opponent is.

--Fromper

#28 Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Still off-topic I know, but I wanted to say I agree with you about Charlie Crist, Fromper. First thing Crist did when he took office was cleanse the governors office of the bigots. Jeb Bush employed some very racist and GLBT aggressive people in his office I recall. I find it very impressive that Crist felt it a high priority to fire those individuals first week in office. I have to also acknowledge that he has also done a fairly good job of being bipartisan. I guess if I were going to vote for a Republican, he would be the least reprehensible one I can think of
#29 Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Still off-topic I know, but I wanted to say I agree with you about Charlie Crist, Fromper. First thing Crist did when he took office was cleanse the governors office of the bigots. Jeb Bush employed some very racist and GLBT aggressive people in his office I recall. I find it very impressive that Crist felt it a high priority to fire those individuals first week in office. I have to also acknowledge that he has also done a fairly good job of being bipartisan. I guess if I were going to vote for a Republican, he would be the least reprehensible one I can think of

Ok, so now that this came up, I became curious to look into Crist's record a little more.

This week's move isn't the first time he's worked to help the electoral process - he also wants a paper trail on all voting, to prevent any possibility of cheating using electronic voting machines. He's also very environmentalist for a politician, especially a Republican - as a state senator, he was the one who introduced the license plates for Everglades conservation. He also opposes off shore drilling and wants to set strict limits for greenhouse gas emissions.

But he's definitely got some views that I disagree with, including one that shows that he isn't as GLBT friendly as you implied above. According to Wikipedia (and I followed the link to check their source), Florida's the only state in the country that prevents homosexuals from adopting children, and Crist is opposed to changing that. He's also in favor of the death penalty, which I disagree with. And he's anti-abortion, which is to be expected from a Republican.

There are plenty of other issues to look into, of course. That's just from a quick look at Wikipedia.

--Fromper

#30 Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

So early voting in Florida started on Monday, October 20. I went to the polls today (Friday) and voted for Obama, and other Democrats.

Yeah, I'm in Florida and will be casting my vote for Obama and all Democrats this weekend. I will also be voting no on all the amendments as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page