"Are you a radical?" - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

Does getting your name legaly changed make you a radical? http://blog.peta2.com/2008/10/who_is...ectioncom.html

Only when you change it to Fast Bucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Darn it, I guess I'm a radical.

Bof... I guess that name is next!
#33 Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Does getting your name legaly changed make you a radical? http://blog.peta2.com/2008/10/who_is...ectioncom.html

I legally changed my middle name to Skylark... but that has nothing to do with veg*nism.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Banned

My first name is a bit stupid < no that's not my name . When I was 8 yrs old , kids at school use to work me over about it .

So one day I came home (pretty pumped up ) had a real 8 yr old yelling session with my mother as how did I get a name like that (it was after one of my grandfathers ) . Then informed my mother I was changing my first name to what my middle name was. Went to school the next day and in no uncertain terms informed everyone of my "new " name .

I was in the Bank a while back and the teller inquired why do I have a first single letter first then my second name in full on my bank card and I told her the story and she reckoned it was a pretty bave thing for a 8 yr old to do . I thought about it and smiled . Brave maybe , but not radical .
#35 Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27166911/
#36 Old 10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a radical Mama! All the activism I do is motherhood/childhood related...I'm a breastfeeding counsellor, I'm involved in campaigns about breastfeeding rights in public, I've started running holistic antenatal classes (I talk about veganism a LOT in these!), I regularly bake vegan sugar free cakes and leave them on people's doorsteps...

As for politics...I'd like to see a move to currency-less local trading based communal living...I'll settle for baby steps at the moment though!

Clarexxx
#37 Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Ankle Biter

In my neck of the woods, I'm very radical. I wear Earth Shoes.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#38 Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

My first name is a bit stupid < no that's not my name . When I was 8 yrs old , kids at school use to work me over about it .

So one day I came home (pretty pumped up ) had a real 8 yr old yelling session with my mother as how did I get a name like that (it was after one of my grandfathers ) . Then informed my mother I was changing my first name to what my middle name was. Went to school the next day and in no uncertain terms informed everyone of my "new " name .

I was in the Bank a while back and the teller inquired why do I have a first single letter first then my second name in full on my bank card and I told her the story and she reckoned it was a pretty bave thing for a 8 yr old to do . I thought about it and smiled . Brave maybe , but not radical .

I did the same thing when I was about 6, due to the fact that my parents gave me a girls name as a first name; well it's a girls name primarily in the UK, although in Australia it's more of a blokes name; but as I say to my parents, we aren't Australian....

#39 Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I'm very radical. I just changed the avatar I've had for four and a half years.

I almost didn't recognize your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I'm not sure what "a radical" is, but I think if I were to be one I would need to be less lazy and more motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com View Post

noun

9.\ta person who holds or follows strong convictions or extreme principles; extremist.

10.\ta person who advocates fundamental political, economic, and social reforms by direct and often uncompromising methods.

There are over a dozen definitions, but those seem to be the only two noun definitions that are used to describe people. I have strong convictions, so I guess I'm a radical. Not coincidentally, that's why I'm a vegetarian.

--Fromper

#40 Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'm not an extremist but I do have strong convictions and principles. I don't advocate fundamentalism of any form but I do advocate certain "direct and uncompromising methods". Not radical, but still totally rad.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#41 Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Beginner

I'm totally a radical... i have unpaired electrons on an otherwise open shell configuration. i'm typically very reactive... i play an important role in combustion, atmospheric chemistry, polymerization, plasma chemistry, biochemistry, and many other chemical processes, including human physiology.

#42 Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31770 View Post

I'm totally a radical... i have unpaired electrons on an otherwise open shell configuration. i'm typically very reactive... i play an important role in combustion, atmospheric chemistry, polymerization, plasma chemistry, biochemistry, and many other chemical processes, including human physiology.

I drink pomegranate juice to fight you, so just watch it buddy.
#43 Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really consider myself a radical. I'm just me. Although when I compare myself, in terms of ideals and goals and sometimes actions, with people around me, yes some could be considered radical.

I believe everything.
#44 Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I drink pomegranate juice to fight you, so just watch it buddy.

good to hear someone "gets" me...
#45 Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I just found out how radicalIam

Really unorganised and messy

Anti war

Dreamer

Idealist

Counter culturalist

Anarchist

Leftist
#46 Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Beginner

you'd have to define the word 'radical', but according to the dictionary:

noun

1 a person who advocates thorough or complete political or social reform; a member of a political party or part of a party pursuing such aims.

yup. i think it's pretty radical not to be a radical. pejoratively speaking.
#47 Old 10-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I don't really go along with the dictionary definition.

I think I am a radical on certain issues.

I don't consider myself a "liberal" because too often "liberal" means in practice that you just pay lip service to certain issues and don't really do anything. You wear a lapel button and strike a pose, but that's about it.

BTW, Kiz, I applaud your Mom for actually doing something for a cause she believes in. that's pretty "radical" in my book.
#48 Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I don't really go along with the dictionary definition.

I think I am a radical on certain issues.

I don't consider myself a "liberal" because too often "liberal" means in practice that you just pay lip service to certain issues and don't really do anything. You wear a lapel button and strike a pose, but that's about it.

BTW, Kiz, I applaud your Mom for actually doing something for a cause she believes in. that's pretty "radical" in my book.

that's the trouble with political discourse. nobody really seems to go along with the dictionary definitions which makes so much of what so many people say so meaningless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page