Should Babe Ruth's number be retired? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure how many people here are baseball fans. I consider myself a fan, but find myself losing more interest each season. There's been some controversy about this. Ruth is credited with saving baseball after the "Black Sox" scandal, and he revolutionized the home run. He also is considered the biggest attraction in the history of baseball, with the Yankees breaking several attendance records during his time. Jackie Robinson is the only player whose number is retired by major league baseball, but that is due mostly to his influence outside of the sport. There has also been an attempt to get Roberto Clemente's number retired as well, but that hasn't been successful. Do you feel Ruth's number should be retired? I say yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

If retiring a number is a sign of respect and a reflection of the notoriety a player has had, as well as a suggestion that no one can fill his shoes, sure, why not?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Explain what to retire someones number means, please.

And I thought this thread was about candy. Turns out I was wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

How would he fare in the modern game if he was alive and playing today?
#5 Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Well, since this *IS* the 'Heap, I'll say, methinks he'd get SMOKED.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They have many benefits today compared to previous years. His batting average would likely be lower since they are much lower today(maybe .325?). He wouldn't pitch so he'd have hit throughout his entire career. He'd probably have even more home runs per year than he did given the advantages plus a few more seasons hitting. Maybe 850-900 home runs. Just a guess.
#7 Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Explain what to retire someones number means, please.

If a player contributed enough to a team teams can retire a player's number. The league can also retire a number if they like where nobody in that league can wear that number in the future. Ruth wore number 3, so no player would be able to have that number in the future. It would be based on your contributions to a sport or to society in general. I don't think Clemente should have his number retired, but Ruth and Robinson should.
#8 Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Ruth wore number 3, so no player would be able to have that number in the future.

Ah, I see, thanks.

(Methinks one shouldnt have given Gerd Müllers 13 to Ballack then.)
#9 Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

He cheated on his wife producing illegitimate children. Is this the kind of role model we want for kids getting into sports?
#10 Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He cheated on his wife producing illegitimate children. Is this the kind of role model we want for kids getting into sports?

He also used violence against an umpire and was considered an alcoholic. I haven't heard too many people claim he was a good role model.
#11 Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't think sports figures need to be viewed as role models.

To quote Charles Barkley: I am not a role model.

As to the Babe. If you could hit a curve ball in 1927, you could hit a curve ball in 2008.
#12 Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

I don't think sports figures need to be viewed as role models.

To quote Charles Barkley: I am not a role model.

As to the Babe. If you could hit a curve ball in 1927, you could hit a curve ball in 2008.

So whats the point of retiring the number?

'Hey kids go ahead and be a drunk womanizer with anger issues. You'll get famous and people will love you!'
#13 Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought numbers were retired based on athletic achievement, not morality.
#14 Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Banned

Sports figures are role models whether they want to be or not. Kids worship sports stars, always have, always will. Its part of the job. Sports stars should be judged by their achievements on and off the field. Ruth did well on the field but not off the field. Lets save our accolades for those that are indeed excellent role models that are worthy of special attention.
#15 Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

no that would be more appropriate for politics.

so if you haven't heard about it already there's this cancelled TV show called Firefly and one of the greatest episodes is "Jaynestown"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaynestown

I think it can explain why Babe Ruth is a hero better than I can.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...wn&vt=lf&hl=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynolds View Post

"Ain't about you, Jayne; it's about what they need."

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#16 Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Babe Ruth certainly was a role model - for today's athletes They've done everything Babe Ruth did, and worse.

If anybody's number should be retired, it should be that of Hank Greenberg. He was not only a great ballplayer, but a gentleman of class, through and through.

*this space not for sale*
#17 Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

If they start retiring the numbers of good players, then as time goes on, the amount of good players increases and thus more and more numbers become retired. This will mean that the players will have to use greater numbers. And when those numbers become great enough, they will not fit into the shirts! So they will eventually have to start using bigger shirts. But when the shirts are big enough, the players will become clumsy, and fall down, and suffer injuries. And maybe some players will even die!

So, I say 'no'.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#18 Old 09-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Should VBers get their usernames retired when they give up on VB? What would a VBer have to do to earn that accolade? It would be cool to have the usernames on banners at the top of the home page of VB.

I thought Babe Ruth was one of those rumoured to be vegetarian but a search of "babe ruth vegetarian" brought up this thread as the #1 choice. hmmmm...

I think numbers being retired should be based on onfield achievements. I don't know enough about baseball to say whether Babe should have his number retired. I'm a big fan of baseball but I usually fall asleep in the third inning after the count is 2 and 2 and the batter hits three foul balls and the "play-by-play" announcer is going on about his trip to Florida...
#19 Old 09-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Give peas a chance

The yankees have retired Ruth's number and he is in the baseball hall of fame. How many more honors have to be manufactured in order to honor someone's accomplishments. It's not like he cured cancer or anything.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#20 Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty sure the Yankees already retired his number.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#21 Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're famous for your stats, your team can retire your number as the Yankees (I believe did)

if you're famous for your stats and your all around good-guyness, that benefits society as a whole, then I'd see it as an honor to retire your number through the league.

Ruth was the hell of a player. He was also an ass. Roger Clemens was the hell of a player, he was also an ass. Would you want Clemen's number retired through the majors, or just for his team?

Pretty sure, just for his team, as that's the only place he did any good.
#22 Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

If you're famous for your stats, your team can retire your number as the Yankees (I believe did)

if you're famous for your stats and your all around good-guyness, that benefits society as a whole, then I'd see it as an honor to retire your number through the league.

Ruth was the hell of a player. He was also an ass. Roger Clemens was the hell of a player, he was also an ass. Would you want Clemen's number retired through the majors, or just for his team?

Pretty sure, just for his team, as that's the only place he did any good.

Ruth did do a lot for children, so he did have his good characteristics. I wouldn't put him in Clemens' league.
#23 Old 09-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Does he get to use the special "sports creams" and personal trainers (aka drug pushers)?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#24 Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Ruth did do a lot for children, so he did have his good characteristics. I wouldn't put him in Clemens' league.

Clemens also has his own freakin charity:

http://www.rogerclemensonline.com/foundation.htm

they're both pretty poor examples of society though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page