That one particular vegetarian site is pretty bad - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^Oh, okay. Thanks!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-16-2008, 03:57 AM

Wait, is it September already?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#93 Old 08-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

"Vegans all over her".......... VEGAN ORGY!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Hrmm... just checked out the site. Even ignoring the who "anti-vegan" thing it's not exactly packed with information, is it? The "what can I eat" page pretty much only says "anything that isn't meat!". Duh? How about food groups, nutrition, recipes... you know, helpful stuff?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#95 Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Hrmm... just checked out the site. Even ignoring the who "anti-vegan" thing it's not exactly packed with information, is it? The "what can I eat" page pretty much only says "anything that isn't meat!". Duh? How about food groups, nutrition, recipes... you know, helpful stuff?

My dad, who as you know is a nuclear physicist, feels the same way about it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#96 Old 08-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

"Vegans all over her".......... VEGAN ORGY!!!

*gasp*

Doesn't sound like a bad time.

I don't see what the fuss is about!

:P

I kid..
#97 Old 08-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

My dad, who as you know is a nuclear physicist, feels the same way about it.

*smacks Irizary in the back of the head*

Smart ass.
#98 Old 08-16-2008, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Tom]

Im mostly concerned that, since it's obviously a pro-vegetarian site, it might have enough credibility to persuade people not to worry that much about animal treatment in the egg and dairy industries. Its tempting to discount evidence that ones lifestyle should change, if it looks like that change will be hard.

QUOTE]

That was my biggest concern about the site as well.

I grew up vegetarian and was vegetarian for 26 years.

I had no idea why I was vegetarian - I was just that way

because I grew up that way. Eating meat seemed gross, but dairy

was delicious. I didn't even realize until 2 months ago what animals were

going through etc... I immediately cut out all dairy/honey and am working to

become a full vegan in my everyday life.

If I had read that site my ignorance of animal suffering would have

continued on and I would still be a omelet loving vegetarian.

JMO of course, but I had no love for that leafy site.
#99 Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 AM
avi
Banned

I am so glad that helped you! I know eating out is SUPER tough when you are vegan. Ive had dining experiences that were super awkward where I just ordered a soda because I needed some sort of caloric intake haha. What usually works is ask for the house salad and then their list of dressing, or sneak in your own I do that to be absolutely sure.

rocky

Louisiana Drug Treatment
#100 Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Banned

Hi all

I'm new here but just wanted to chip in. I know the people behind that website and they have a very strong agenda aside from the vegetarianism.

Their 'leader', Iain Scott, considers himself a bit of a guru with special powers and (last I heard) is 'married' to at least two women who volunteer for the charity (Rebecca Lincoln Scott and Sarah Scott, who have both taken his name). His overseas volunteers work very long hours, unpaid, with no days off. All his 'volunteers' are expected to participate in very intensive (I would say invasive) workshop-style meetings.

If you want to check it out for yourself, you could read Iain Scott's book, Human Potential - wherein he talks about an extraterrestrial experience he believes he has had, which has made him enlightened, etc:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Potent.../dp/1899131019

Or feel free to ask me personally if you have any questions.

Cheers

#101 Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#102 Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVegGirl View Post

If you want to check it out for yourself, you could read Iain Scott's book, Human Potential - wherein he talks about an extraterrestrial experience he believes he has had,

Something wrong with that? I have an extraterrestrial experience whenever I go to my garage to talk to Zegryb203.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#103 Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Milk production obviously involves cows first giving birth to calves. These babies are separated from their mothers and this can cause some degree of short-term distress. Out of the male calves, most will be “surplus to requirement” for the dairy industry and end up as part of the meat supply. Similarly, free-range egg production involves the need for some fertile eggs to be laid; again, the majority of the male chicks will be “surplus to requirement” and they are immediately killed. A vegan believes that a vegetarian who eats dairy products and/or free-range eggs is taking part in this animal cruelty. But is this necessarily true?

Erm yes it is true. That site is weird, I have never read any veggie forum be so dismissive of veganism especially for ethical/ cruelty reasons.

I just noticed it is an English site! I have never heard of it before.
#104 Old 09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Their 'leader', Iain Scott, considers himself a bit of a guru with special powers and (last I heard) is 'married' to at least two women who volunteer for the charity (Rebecca Lincoln Scott and Sarah Scott, who have both taken his name). His overseas volunteers work very long hours, unpaid, with no days off. All his 'volunteers' are expected to participate in very intensive (I would say invasive) workshop-style meetings.

i knew i smelled weirdness when i read that site, and that it wasn't coming from me.
#105 Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 AM

Just a note: I deleted the crazy spammer lady's post earlier in this thread, and took out the posts that were responding to it as well.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page