That one particular vegetarian site is pretty bad - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

I never posted in either thread, but I did read them. I thought about posting, but the OP was getting so upset over the other posts that I didn't want to get into it. Any sensible l/o vegetarian would see that the section posted about veganism was a huge crock. No one made any personal attacks towards the OP, everyone was respectable and I didn't see any reason for the OP to feel attacked or defensive.

Well said. Hopefully people will read and try to understand rabid-child's explanation of what an attack is. It wasn't happening in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Maybe that's something to ask the mods. But I hardly think the intent of the current rule system was to apply it to outside links. The site she posted was pro-vegetarian and was in the correct forum. People who disagreed could have easily opened their own thread in the appropriate place to debate it. Which they did anyway after they ruined a support thread.

I certainly would expect it to apply to outside links. People were directed to that link and vegans (and vegetarians) are allowed to read threads in all the support forums. It seems very reasonable to expect vegans (and vegetarians) to read that misinformation and to therefore comment on it, to "post factual information to the contrary" as Michael puts it. That's allowed. It seemed the OP from that thread just couldn't say "thanks, please post a link to correct the misinformation and then we can move on and discuss the rest of the site." And then the thread could've moved on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It wasn't solely a bashing page, it was a pro-vegetarian site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

The link in the other thread was not to a pro-vegetarian site. It was to a pro-vegetarian & anti-vegan site.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#33 Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that's why I said "pro-vegetarian & anti-vegan site". If I had meant "solely a bashing page", I would have said "anti-vegan site".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It wasn't solely a bashing page, it was a pro-vegetarian site.

I would think it should promote all aspects of vegetarianism to be a pro-vegetarian site
#35 Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

So your saying if my blog wasn't completely supportive of veganism I couldn't have it in my signature?

Lynn

#36 Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

no, im not saying anything about what someone can post. i'm just saying a site that is against one particular sect of vegetarianism (veganism), can't be a completely pro vegetarian site.

If you're blog bashed vegans or negatively promoted the lifestyle, I would not consider it a completely vegetarian site. -speaking of your blog i like it
#37 Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So your saying if my blog wasn't completely supportive of veganism I couldn't have it in my signature?

Not if you're posting in the support forums!
#38 Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

i'm just saying a site that is against one particular sect of vegetarianism (veganism), can't be a completely pro vegetarian site.

I think the part about it being full of inaccuracies is vital to this discussion as well.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#39 Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Vegan Police Officer

My Dad doesn't like the lettuceleaf website.
#40 Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah then all the go vegan types of signatures would have to go.

Lynn

#41 Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah then all the go vegan types of signatures would have to go.

That is not true, just because my sig says go vegan doesn't negatively promote vegetarianism, where the site in question did negatively promote veganism
#42 Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegans *are* vegetarians.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#43 Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Yes, the *real* ones [/joke]
#44 Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe that's something to ask the mods. But I hardly think the intent of the current rule system was to apply it to outside links. The site she posted was pro-vegetarian and was in the correct forum. People who disagreed could have easily opened their own thread in the appropriate place to debate it. Which they did anyway after they ruined a support thread.

I think you're misunderstanding the difference between support and agreement. We aren't asking anyone to agree with what everyone says in a support forum. No one was telling the OP in that thread not to be vegetarian, or to be vegan. No one was attacking her character (or daddy's), or her decisions. Her opinion was that the sun rose and set by that website, and other people disagreed. The thread was quite supportive of her vegetarianism, and many of the people congratulated the efforts of her family despite their not liking the website, and others disagreed with the website and offered links to places they found more informative. I think what ruined the thread was the fact that certain participants could not understand the difference between dissonance and personal attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Well said. Hopefully people will read and try to understand rabid-child's explanation of what an attack is. It wasn't happening in that thread.

Was this my rubbish explanation?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#45 Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

No, they are not.

I will use another example to get across why I disagree absolutely.

Let's say you have two groups of people. One group is against racism towards, let's say white people, but not towards people of other skin colours. Let's call them the "A-racists". Another group is against racism towards ALL people, regardless of their skin colour. Let's call them the "B-anti-racists."

Would you say that the B-anti-racists *are" A-racists?

A vegan is not a vegetarian. Anymore than a cat is a dog, although they are both non-human animals.
#46 Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, rabid_child.

Lynn

#47 Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:

That is not true, just because my sig says go vegan doesn't negatively promote vegetarianism, where the site in question did negatively promote veganism

You can't 'negatively promote' vegetarianism. Either you're promoting it or not. From what I have seen the site in question makes a decent case for vegetarianism and gives some examples of vegan bias.
#48 Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I got through about 2 paragraphs of that stupid ass site and couldnt read anymore.If that wasnt made by the dairy industry then its one dumbass vegetarian.
#49 Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

No, they are not.

I will use another example to get across why I disagree absolutely.

Let's say you have two groups of people. One group is against racism towards, let's say white people, but not towards people of other skin colours. Let's call them the "A-racists". Another group is against racism towards ALL people, regardless of their skin colour. Let's call them the "B-anti-racists."

Would you say that the B-anti-racists *are" A-racists?

A vegan is not a vegetarian. Anymore than a cat is a dog, although they are both non-human animals.

Being against a certain kind or racism but not another still makes you a racist. Not eating meat is an absolute choice.

Vegans are a subset of vegetarians, by diet.

By ethics - you'll have to take that up with all the vegan honey or whey eaters, the leather wearing and non leather wearing vegans, wool buying, pet-owning, zoo-going vegans, and so-on.
#50 Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

I got through about 2 paragraphs of that stupid ass site and couldnt read anymore.If that wasnt made by the dairy industry then its one dumbass vegetarian.

I can't understand why Sevenseas posted a link to that "prairie" site in the OP either. It's crap! It's rubbish! Good thing this isn't the support forum or I'd get my knuckles rapped.
#51 Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

You can't 'negatively promote' vegetarianism. Either you're promoting it or not. From what I have seen the site in question makes a decent case for vegetarianism and gives some examples of vegan bias.

Sorry, I'm using the term loosely, for the semanticist I should be I guess I should have said to speak out against. Speak out would have been the word most closely resembling the idea in my head, yet it wouldn't come out at the time. Thanks for correcting me, cause promote does imply a positive aspect. Although a company's promotion of something could always go horrible wrong and end up having negative impact, thus negating the fact that it was ever a promotion to begin with.
#52 Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

so then you would have no problem with me posting a link like www.vegetariansaref**ktards.com? Since its an outside site and in the vegan support forum its ok?
#53 Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

No, this is crap.

Quote:

I can't understand why Sevenseas posted a link to that "prairie" site in the OP either. It's crap! It's rubbish! Good thing this isn't the support forum or I'd get my knuckles rapped.

Lynn

#54 Old 08-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

By ethics - you'll have to take that up with all the vegan honey or whey eaters, the leather wearing and non leather wearing vegans, wool buying, pet-owning, zoo-going vegans, and so-on.

There is no such thing

Quote:

so then you would have no problem with me posting a link like www.vegetariansaref**ktards.com? Since its an outside site and in the vegan support forum its ok?

why you gotta bash my site dude?
#55 Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yea i hated that damn site
#56 Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

Vegans are a subset of vegetarians, by diet.

Veganism is much more more than a diet.

And that is why vegans are not vegetarians.

Subset or other set.

If anyone calls me a vegetarian, then I must suppose they haven't a clue of what veganism is all about.

And I believe my racist parallel is just fine and fits well.
#57 Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#58 Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I think diana's point is that veganism is beyond vegetarianism, so while that does apply to one aspect of the way we choose to live our lives, it in no way defines us.
#59 Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

'Vegetarian' means someone who doesn't eat meat.

'Vegan' is someone who, among other things, does not eat meat.

Thus, vegans are a subset of vegetarians. This is perfectly compatible with veganism being about more than diet.

That being said, in many contexts if someone says 'vegetarian' that is taken to refer to lacto-ovo-vegetarians.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#60 Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

why you gotta bash my site dude?

I LOVE that site. I got there everyday and click on the "Donate Now" button.

Quote:

yea i hated that damn site

Me too. I go to that site everyday and click on the "I Hate This Site" button.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page