I can't believe a 9 year old did this... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,393102,00.html

"Authorities say the youths were seen July 10 pouring lighter fluid on the kitten in Edgemoor Gardens, then setting the kitten on fire. The kitten ran to a nearby tree, where it died."

Who could do that? That kid deserves to do some time, because if he was willing to do that now, imagine what his messed up mind would lead to in the future. Future serial killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Or future president.
#3 Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

they should neuter the kid... no reason for this scum to re=produce ever... where are his parents? either in jail or were in jail, either way, should have them evaluated since they cant raise a kid by the time hes 9, hes already a nobody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse27 View Post

Who could do that?

A sociopath or a psychopath. We're surrounded by 'em.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

wow . hopefully he (and whoever else was involved) will get the proper treatment they need so they won't ever do this again.
#6 Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycoolcats View Post

they should neuter the kid... no reason for this scum to re=produce ever... where are his parents? either in jail or were in jail, either way, should have them evaluated since they cant raise a kid by the time hes 9, hes already a nobody.

Totally agree with this!! He should be tried as an adult too.
#7 Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldnt jump to too many conclusions here. Who knows if this child lives an abused life and is acting out becasue of it.people on this board are ready to jump to the defense of adults who molest and such saying that the offenders were probably molested as children, but let a child commit an otrocity on an animal and everyone is ready to call him a sociopath or a psychopath neuter him and call him scum. He's NINE ever think maybe he didnt really understand what he was doing?
#8 Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

Who knows if this child lives an abused life and is acting out becasue of it.people on this board are ready to jump to the defense of adults who molest and such saying that the offenders were probably molested as children, but let a child commit an otrocity on an animal and everyone is ready to call him a sociopath or a psychopath neuter him and call him scum. He's NINE ever think maybe he didnt really understand what he was doing?

Thanks! You've outlined exactly one of the ways a child can *become* a sociopath or a psychopath.

I don't want to neuter him or call him scum, either.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I just hope the powers that be will actively pursue this, and get the kid some help,and I hope his parents will get some if they need it as well.
#10 Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

WHAT???? how can you think this way? Even if you're not serious, it's a horrid thing to say. And if you are serious, I must say I have a somewhat different opinion of you than I had in the past.

We're talking about a NINE YEAR OLD CHILD.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolinCyndee View Post

Totally agree with this!! He should be tried as an adult too.

Trying any juvenile as an adult requires the assumption that the juvenile has the capacity to make adult decisions, with a clear understanding of the consequences of his actions. Are you seriously saying that a NINE YEAR OLD CHILD is capable of forming adult decisions? Have you talked to many nine-year-olds lately?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#12 Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Banned

Well lets hope some of the reactions expressed are temporary mental rushes regard jail and neutering , if not, ask the question would you neuter the KID yourself . Lets maybe try and find out whats going on in this KIDS head .
#13 Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

A sociopath or a psychopath. We're surrounded by 'em.

As i've learn't the hard way, those types of people aren't limited to prisons and mental wards.

The boy who did this needs to be taken off the streets - he is a danger to others, regardless of that fact that he may have not yet seriously hurt another human being - he is capable of it.

I really can't comprehend why anyone would want to set a cat on fire but what I understand is whoever does those kind of things is seriously sick in the head!
#14 Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Ever think that maybe this was the way the child was raised? Maybe his parents taught him to have this sick sense of humor. I agree with Wonder; he is just nine years old. Does he need help and guidance? Absolutely. Does he need to be tried as an adult? No.
#15 Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

One really sad thing is that things like this are often overlooked as regards an indication for a propensity for violence later in life. Many violent criminals (particularly child abusers, spouse abusers, rapists and serial murderers) have a history of violence toward animals.

Unfortunately, society in general and the legal system more specifically tend not to acknowledge the level of severity of these actions because it is "just" animal cruelty.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#16 Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

****, you scare me more than the kid.
#17 Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

One really sad thing is that things like this are often overlooked as regards an indication for a propensity for violence later in life. Many violent criminals (particularly child abusers, spouse abusers, rapists and serial murderers) have a history of violence toward animals.

Unfortunately, society in general and the legal system more specifically tend not to acknowledge the level of severity of these actions because it is "just" animal cruelty.

So very true!
#18 Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

WHAT???? how can you think this way? Even if you're not serious, it's a horrid thing to say. And if you are serious, I must say I have a somewhat different opinion of you than I had in the past.

We're talking about a NINE YEAR OLD CHILD.

Chances are, something less than wonderful happened to this child to make him this way. As for trying him as an adult, that's just ridiculous. A nine year old is not an adult. Their concepts of right and wrong, grasp of death, etc. are all still developing. I'm not saying he didn't know he was doing something wrong, or that he shouldn't receive just punishment. However, neutering him or putting him in prison (per adult trial) are not just.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#19 Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Beginner

it's sad too that child services--from governmental CPS to private foundations--are so overloaded and underfunded that the child and his family probably wont get the attention he needs (unless they feel pressured from the media reporting--which would be a good thing, in my estimation). hopefully, though, all this reporting and attention won't mess him up more and load him with guilt and shame...anyway. it's a lot of different things to think about, definitely.
#20 Old 07-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

I wouldnt jump to too many conclusions here. Who knows if this child lives an abused life and is acting out becasue of it.people on this board are ready to jump to the defense of adults who molest and such saying that the offenders were probably molested as children, but let a child commit an otrocity on an animal and everyone is ready to call him a sociopath or a psychopath neuter him and call him scum. He's NINE ever think maybe he didnt really understand what he was doing?

I'm not endorsing some of the other posts, but I don't agree with this either. What kind of punishnment do you think should happen here? You certainly have to do something, or you'll send the wrong message. Many children became rulers of countries around that age a long time ago, so I don't see 9 as all that young.
#21 Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Do you think the nine year olds were really the rulers of countries? Nah, They were puppets for someone else. Also, I don't think anyone is advocating doing nothing. However, there's a big jump from "nothing" to neutering, etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I'm not endorsing some of the other posts, but I don't agree with this either. What kind of punishnment do you think should happen here? You certainly have to do something, or you'll send the wrong message.

This child needs HELP more than any punishment. What he did was seriously wrong but punishment is only really effective if it occurs very soon after the crime. This is even more true with a person who does not yet have the mental ability to completely understand his crime. This child need to be looked at by experts that can help him through any problems and rehabilitate him so he can go through life peacefully. People do these things for a reason and I think if we looked at and understood those reasons then we can best treat the roote cause of them. Punishing this nine year will do nothing for the child, the victim or society as a whole. JMO.
#23 Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

My guess is the child has significant trauma in his past. Hopefully he is already under the care of a psychologist who will take a love-based approach rather than a fear-based one. This child sounds scared out of his mind already, and his behavior is extreme because he has extreme fear.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#24 Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I agree. Also, there's the idea he's "just" a kid. While not an adult, he's 9, not 3. The fact he doesn't know it's wrong to torch a kitten at 9 scares me. Maybe I watch too much SVU and read too many true-crime books, but he's a serial killer in the making. Sure he needs help, but he also needs to be kept away from other kids and animals. Permanently, if that's what it takes.
#25 Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saedierose View Post

As i've learn't the hard way, those types of people aren't limited to prisons and mental wards.

The boy who did this needs to be taken off the streets - he is a danger to others, regardless of that fact that he may have not yet seriously hurt another human being - he is capable of it.

I really can't comprehend why anyone would want to set a cat on fire but what I understand is whoever does those kind of things is seriously sick in the head!

+1

Whatever made them do this, is likely going to lead to the murder of people.

By the way, it was a GROUP of kids, not just 1 kid.

Serious mental issues, probably beyond help, needs to be taken off the streets.
#26 Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not saying the child doesn't need help. of course he does, but the people calling him a monster and serial killer are a bit off base if you ask me. For one thing believing the entire spin that the media puts on these things is a bit naive because as we all know the media is totally unbiased and would never put a new spin on something or even out right lie just to sell a few newspapers would they? Id also be willing to bet since it was a group of boys there were probably older kids that maybe put him up to it. I wasn't aware that there were people on this board qualified to diagnose a child as being a "future serial killer" and "psychotic" from a news story on the internet I must be in the presence of real genius
#27 Old 07-31-2008, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I also agree that the kid needs help, but my goodness, people! Every kid who abuses animals does not automatically grow into an adult serial killer. I'm all in favor of appropriate consequences for his actions, but the amazing leaps of logic being taken here is really quite maddening. LOTS of kids act out in dramatically and tragically inappropriate ways. Most of them receive discipline of some kind and learn their lesson; or they recognize on their own that they crossed the line. A FEW will grow into unrepentant sociopaths, but it's hardly a foregone conclusion.

I remember quite a few "inappropriate choices" I made as a kid. My childhood was often painful and often unsupervised. I had to figure out a lot of tough lessons on my own. The kid probably feels like crap about this now, whether he can admit it or not.

Not every troubled kid turns into Michael Meyers.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#28 Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

he needs a massive amount of really intensive therapy...
#29 Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

The child should be watched.

As someone already said, this is the way serial killers begin.

It isn't normal kid behavior (even screwed up kids don't do this.)

It's demented and the sign that his psyche is completely abnormal.
#30 Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Do you think the nine year olds were really the rulers of countries? Nah, They were puppets for someone else. Also, I don't think anyone is advocating doing nothing. However, there's a big jump from "nothing" to neutering, etc.

I'd assume that the kings and queens did not make all of the decisions, but still had an influence in most of the decisions made even at that age. My point was that a child of that age is capable of rational thought. Just ask Lisa Simpson or Mozart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page