I can't believe a 9 year old did this... - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse27 View Post

Why should we have to pay to get this kid help?

I don't think you should have to.

I would think you would want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

there's no talking sense into you.
#93 Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather pay taxes to help a child out than pay taxes to keep a child in prison where he'll likely face even more abuse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I may be wrong here..... but I don't think that's sociopathy. That would be something else entirely. Just a plain old selfish guy?

Right. People who have a general disregard for the rights of others due to a mental illness lack empathy. It's pretty straightforward.

In the case of this child, to be more specific, since he is under the age of 18, it is likely he has a conduct disorder.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#95 Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

I'd rather pay taxes to help a child out than pay taxes to keep a child in prison where he'll likely face even more abuse...

+1111111111111111

Altho your messing with my job security there lady
#96 Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 AM
Banned

Quote:

Well if you don't pay for it now , you will be paying for it later .
#97 Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Well if you don't pay for it now , you will be paying for it later .

I wonder what the cost difference is between help now and jail and possibly the death penalty later. If this kid doesn't help now, he will be in jail and I'd bet anything he'll get the death penalty for something somewhere down the life.
#98 Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Beginner

Why on earth would you not want to pay for the kid to get help?

We are all tied together somehow no matter how small it is our actions effect others if this child were to not get the help he needs simply because someone did not want to pay for where would we all be down the road if he did kill someone or someones?

Oh everyone would be screaming for justice at that point no doubt and ignoreing the fact that when they could have made a differance they chose not to.

Sure you could attempt to help and he could turn out badly anyway but at least you tried.
#99 Old 08-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So we dont have to listen to your intollerant a** complaine about how evil the child is while wondering if you can call 911 on the chicken trucks you see driving down the road.
#100 Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I wonder what the cost difference is between help now and jail and possibly the death penalty later. If this kid doesn't help now, he will be in jail and I'd bet anything he'll get the death penalty for something somewhere down the life.

It really doesn't even matter what the price differential is--there is no price on life.

1. No matter what this little boy did the fact remains.... he is a little boy. That means, that soon enough he will be a big boy, and then a man, and then an old man--that's a lot of time, and if my tax money can make the difference between him leading a 'normal' life and him leading one filled with penetentiaries, abuse, and who knows what else, I'm all for it.

2. For him to get to the stage that he needs to be locked up, that means he has to do MORE serious harm. I'd rather avoid that.
#101 Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

It really doesn't even matter what the price differential is--there is no price on life.

I agree that he needs to be helped and it needs to happened now but other people aren't so altruistic and seeing the difference convince them help needs to happen now.

Quote:
1. No matter what this little boy did the fact remains.... he is a little boy. That means, that soon enough he will be a big boy, and then a man, and then an old man--that's a lot of time, and if my tax money can make the difference between him leading a 'normal' life and him leading one filled with penetentiaries, abuse, and who knows what else, I'm all for it.

If he's helped now, it might make a difference. I'm all for helping him. He is still just a kid and I will never refuse to help a child.

Quote:
2. For him to get to the stage that he needs to be locked up, that means he has to do MORE serious harm. I'd rather avoid that.

Me too! If left to his own devices, it will happen. Mostly likely, the crimes will escalate and will get to humans eventually. This won't be a one time thing unless he gets serious help now.
#102 Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

gillibean--just wanna make sure you know I agree with you. :P
#103 Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

gillibean--just wanna make sure you know I agree with you. :P

lol That was the point of my post actually! It seemed like you thought I didnt want the kid to get help now and I was confused.
#104 Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

*hugs* no more confusion! I realized that thats what it came off as, thus the post letting you know where I actually stood--I just wanted to 1+ it by saying "not only that, but seriously guys, you've brought us to trying to rationalize cost vs. cost?" I realized that you were just bringing it to their playing field so they'd "get it" but I wasn't impressed that you (or anyone) would feel that's needed.
#105 Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

*hugs* no more confusion! I realized that thats what it came off as, thus the post letting you know where I actually stood--I just wanted to 1+ it by saying "not only that, but seriously guys, you've brought us to trying to rationalize cost vs. cost?" I realized that you were just bringing it to their playing field so they'd "get it" but I wasn't impressed that you (or anyone) would feel that's needed.

I'm rather disgusted with the need for cost comparison. The prevention of further violence is the only reason that should be needed.
#106 Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

No. If anyone is going to pay for it, it's the parents. This SHOULD NOT be a burden put onto the public because this kid's parents F*ed up.

Pay maybe just enough to have the judge inform his parents that they will be sending him to therapy.
#107 Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

+1111111111111111

Altho your messing with my job security there lady

A liberal cop eh? Last of a dying breed there.
#108 Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

gotta love idealistic teenagers.
#109 Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A liberal cop eh? Last of a dying breed there.

No correctional officer and no im not a liberal. just because im vegan doesnt make me a liberal. To be honest im more in the middle.
#110 Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No. If anyone is going to pay for it, it's the parents. This SHOULD NOT be a burden put onto the public because this kid's parents F*ed up.

Pay maybe just enough to have the judge inform his parents that they will be sending him to therapy.

You are going to pay for him one way or the other through taxes. Do you want to pay less and REDUCE THE CHANCES OF HIM KILLING OTHER ANIMALS AND PEOPLE or pay more and risk him turning into a serial killer (or just a common stupid criminal)
#111 Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No. If anyone is going to pay for it, it's the parents. This SHOULD NOT be a burden put onto the public because this kid's parents F*ed up

How do you know his parents messed up? How do you know that he doesn't already have an underlying medical problem? How do you know that he even had parents? It is in the public interest to help this child and even if it wasn't then I would be happy for my taxes to go towards his care - it's called compassion.
#112 Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

You are going to pay for him one way or the other through taxes. Do you want to pay less and REDUCE THE CHANCES OF HIM KILLING OTHER ANIMALS AND PEOPLE or pay more and risk him turning into a serial killer (or just a common stupid criminal)

I'd definitely take the first option. Although I think you made a mistake in your post.
#113 Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterpixie View Post

it's called compassion.

Something this kid doesn't seem to know.
#114 Old 08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

and you dont want it tought to him
#115 Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd definitely take the first option. Although I think you made a mistake in your post.

If you want the first option, then why are you arguing that you don't want to help this kid?

What mistake? Actually there is. I phrased the second option wrong. It should be: take the chances that he'll escalate and harm people and end up in jail where you pay lots more (especially if hes convicted of the death penalty)
#116 Old 08-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Hopefull he gets the help he needs. quick.
#117 Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

and you dont want it tought to him

Can it be taught? I don't really think it can. Some people simply aren't capable.
#118 Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Can it be taught? I don't really think it can. Some people simply aren't capable.

"Dexter" style sociopaths are very rare (if they exist at all). In the vast majority of people, compassion can be and is taught. Babies don't come into the world with a set amount compassion for things. They have some naturally and learn the rest from their parents, siblings, teachers, strangers, etc
#119 Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not expecting a normal person regardless of help this kid gets (as evidenced by my serial killer comments). Honestly, the best I think we can realistically expect is to hopefully keep him out of jail.
#120 Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I think it might be unfair to say - without knowing him - that any amount of tax dollars could lead to a normal life for this child. However, compassionate care certainly won't hurt him and might help him become a more compassionate individual.

My cousin used to do this sort of thing (to a lesser degree . . . I think). He was adopted when he was 8. He was horribly abused by his birth parents. His younger sister (who was also adopted by my aunt) was 7 years old and 23 pounds. She was covered head-to-toe in cigarette burns. My male cousin was sexually abused by strangers that his parents charged to lend him out to. Most days they would park (they lived in their car) and he'd stand in front of a corner store or something all day long waiting for someone to pick him up. My aunt (who is a social worker) adopted them and my older male cousin (different birth parents), she knew she'd have a hard road ahead of her. She knew they'd never be "normal kids" - - they had too much baggage, you know? They spent prime bonding years living in hell. My aunt was wonderful to them. She showed them nothing but love. She set clear rules and enforced consequences when needed. She set a good example. She sought lots of professional help and medical assistance. My younger male cousin still threw rocks at animals hoping to kill them. He kicked dogs (one time in a fit he kicked the family dog so hard it broke the skin), he would get in knock-down drag-out fights with his sister - - once removing a chunk of hair so large it couldn't be covered with a head band. He grew up. He's not perfect. He can't hold a job for more than a few months, he makes bad decisions all the time, and he doesn't spend enough time with his kids. However, because someone (my aunt) helped him, I believe he's better than he would have been. His quality of life certainly is. He's not a killer, he's not even a criminal. And, as an added bonus, he doesn't randomly burst into tears because he feels so terrible about himself, he doesn't try to cut himself, he doesn't thing everyone is out to get him, he doesn't need to sleep with all the lights on, he doesn't respond to every conflict with violence. Which is how he used to be.

I'm not saying this kid is anything like my cousin. He may be from the best home ever, for all we know. However, a tormented soul is one that needs help - regardless of their age, or how they came to be that way. Compassion is the only way to save people.

Thank God for people like your aunt. I could never do it, but I'm glad there are people that can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page