A possible Supreme Court nomination for Hillary - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Gag me.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

In terms of the mainstream, I think she'd be a good nominee as would her husband. Both are a little too pro police for my tastes but so are the rest of the potential nominees.

R.I.P. Thurgood Marshall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

This would be disgusting as I find her exprience in corporate America inadequate to interpret the Constitution.

Anyway, if Democrats really wanted Ralph Nader to go away they would agree to appoint as a Supreme Court Justice.
#5 Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

thats what I look for in a supreme court justice

qualifications:

-someone that obama owes a political favor to

-someone that co-sponsored an anti flag burning amendment.

-someone that lies so expertly.

-someone that changes position with the political winds

-someone that hasn't practiced law for decades.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#6 Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

-someone that changes position with the political winds

That makes Hillary truly unique.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 07-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Ex-*****

I've heard there's a really interesting position available as US ambassador to Pluto and the outer solar system. I think Hillary would be perfect for it.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#8 Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Expectations among Senate Democrats are rising that if elected president, Barack Obama will reward Sen. Hillary Clinton's support with a Supreme Court nomination when one opens

Reward her for her support?Thats bull i would be willing to bet the only reason she is "supporting" him is because her party told her to. Thats the only way they are going to beat the repoublicans is if they arent split. Neither of the Clintons strike me as being gracious loosers, but then they have always struck me as being liars and crooks. There is a reason those of us from Arkansas call him slick willy.
#9 Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

nah i don't see Obama nominating Hillary as a Supreme Court Justice. because he is a constitutional law professor I am sure that he has too much respect for the court to make a purely political appointment. there are many highly qualified people that Obama will consider and they won't be the member of the Federalist Society types Bush favored, that's for sure.
#10 Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

political winds

That's the thing with Supreme Court nominations though. Having a lifetime appointment means that you don't have to care what this year's swing voters think about every little issue.

If Obama wins, that means that she'd be 68 before she'd have another shot at the White House, which is pushing it. She can stay in the Senate and likely find herself in some cushy committee seats, but a Supreme Court appointment would ensure her influence for the rest of her life. And she does have a strong legal background.
#11 Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

in my opinion Hillary could be an incredibly good U.S. Senator if she just stopped worrying about positioning herself for a possible run at being President and concentrated on doing what she believes to be the right thing and not the politics of her positions, a la Ted Kennedy. I think Obama is going to win in November. when he does, Hillary should get the message and concentrate on being a Senator.
#12 Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

nah i don't see Obama nominating Hillary as a Supreme Court Justice. because he is a constitutional law professor I am sure that he has too much respect for the court to make a purely political appointment. there are many highly qualified people that Obama will consider and they won't be the member of the Federalist Society types Bush favored, that's for sure.

past election cycle otomik brings up an interesting point about Laurence Tribe here.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...3&postcount=17

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Tribe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...tution_Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia View Post

Tribe was considered a potential Supreme Court nominee until he testified against Robert Bork, making lasting enemies in the U.S. Senate (although he supported Anthony Kennedy who was eventually appointed in Bork's place). His protege, Kathleen Sullivan, is now thought of by many as a potential Court nominee if a Democrat takes the White House. Tribe continues to strongly support liberal political causes. He is one of the co-founders of the liberal American Constitution Society, the law and policy organization formed to counter the conservative and libertarian Federalist Society.

He is actively supporting the candidacy of Barack Obama, and describes Obama as "the best student I ever had."[1] He is also an official advisor to the Obama campaign on legal issues.[2]

despite obama's and tribe's support of the dc v. heller decision. and obama's support for the death penalty in child rape cases. will the strong indications he will appoint very liberal "living constitution" type judges be a factor in conservative voter turn out? obama has been very vague about his intentions thus far. McCain will almost certainly appoint more strict constructionists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia View Post

Born in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, Sullivan graduated from Cornell University in 1976, and graduated as a Marshall Scholar from Oxford in 1978. Sullivan then graduated from Harvard Law School in 1981, where her mentor Laurence Tribe called her "the most extraordinary student I had ever had."[1]... According to the National Journal, Sullivan is speculated by many to be in line for the Supreme Court should a Democrat be elected President.[5][6][7]

congratulatons.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#13 Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Which one's Hilary?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page