What is your opinion on homosexuality? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm just going to leave it at that. Anything religious, medical, sociological, etc, is all up to you.

And for I'm gay, by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I categorically support all gay clergy, doctors, and sociologists.

And for I'm nigel, pleased to meet you!
#3 Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoto View Post

And for I'm gay, by the way.

Huh?

I'm in a sociology class right now, so let me think a while about a sociological perspective on the issue.
#4 Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay!! we haven't had this debate in a while!!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I think homosexuality is way cool.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 06-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I've actually viewed it as people are probably born neutral sexuality wise (i.e. "bisexual") -- some are born 90%+ homosexual/heterosexual, but most people are in between to at least an extent.
#7 Old 06-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Whether homosexuality is biological or a choice, it's personal and nobody else's business really.

This whole homosexuals not being able to get married (or at least the benefits of a legal union), have full guardian rights over their children, and familial recognition with their partners because of someone else's religion is really quite disgusting.

And I'm not saying religion is the only counter-homosexuality argument, just the most common.
#8 Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libera Mentis View Post

And I'm not saying religion is the only counter-homosexuality argument, just the most common.

Out of curisoty... since animals in nature aren't "heterosexual" entirely by default -- exactly what are the arguments against that don't involve religion?
#9 Old 06-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Out of curisoty... since animals in nature aren't "heterosexual" entirely by default -- exactly what are the arguments against that don't involve religion?

I actually have no clue

I was simply including the fact there there are possible other arguments to avoid a overgeneralizing. Maybe the reproduction process?
#10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I actually have no clue

I was simply including the fact there there are possible other arguments to avoid a overgeneralizing. Maybe the reproduction process?

Oh OK I thought maybe you knew of some offhand. I know that even when searching for "arguments against homosexuality -religion -religious -bible -biblical" I still get results citing religion for like the first result.
#11 Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I like them so much I married one.
#12 Old 06-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Ex-*****

I'm all for it. I'm thinking the more gays, the less children, and therefore overpopulation becomes less of a problem. (Not that I have anything against children on a personal level. And we need some children after all!)

I don't believe sexual preference is biological, though. There is no scientific evidence for that claim.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#13 Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

homosexuality is pretty nifty

bisexuality is pretty cool too

#14 Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

homosexuality is pretty nifty

bisexuality is pretty cool too

word. what she said.
#15 Old 06-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, we shouldn't forget heterosexuality. That's swish, too.
#16 Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I am very gay friendly! I've got some really good gay men friends. I really despise homophobia in any form. There is no way you can say it's a choice. If it was, why are there gay Iranians? Yeah, sure you're going to choose to be gay in a country where you can get the death penalty for it...!!!

Besides, I know how my friends feel - they just do NOT feel an attraction to women, at all. There's nothing they can do about that.
#17 Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

There is no way you can say it's a choice. If it was, why are there gay Iranians? Yeah, sure you're going to choose to be gay in a country where you can get the death penalty for it...!!!

Besides, I know how my friends feel - they just do NOT feel an attraction to women, at all. There's nothing they can do about that.

So are you saying sexual preference is entirely determined by biological factors, or are you saying there is some other force at play? (And that's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely interested to know your opinion.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#18 Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

So are you saying sexual preference is entirely determined by biological factors, or are you saying there is some other force at play? (And that's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely interested to know your opinion.)

I personally think it is biological, judging from my friends, who knew they were gay from quite a young age. my Russian friend Z has an older brother who had exactly the same upbringing as him, but the brother is straight. And since they were brought up in Voronezh, they didn't exactly hear much about homosexuality growing up, either. I have to add there that I doubt Z knew what his feelings were when he was very young for that reason, he just knew he felt more attracted to boys.
#19 Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 AM

I think potentially it could be a mixture of biological and environmental. The environmental aspect isn't really what makes the person gay at all, but what helps them realize what their true sexuality is. But, there are so many cases of gay men and women that would defy that being a possibility.

Sometimes I feel like being gay is neither biological nor environmental - and more of a spiritual thing.
#20 Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I suppose I'll toss in a religious standpoint.

I don't believe homosexuality to be the intended fully harmonious ideal set forth by God; however, neither are most heterosexual relationships that occur. Also, saying this, I recognize that the world is in a disharmonious state, and many children may be born homosexual and should be shown grace.

While homosexual couples don't have a choice to experience the joys and burdens of childbirth, they may enjoy adoption. They won't have the balance of character synergy and complimented thought processes as much as a heterosexual couple could. And so on. Like I said, ideally. There are many heterosexual couples that are in more disharmonious relationships than homosexual.

I don't think that "fags go to hell" or anything. In fact, I'm sure there are many homosexuals that have a further spiritual development than hetero.

I'm not sure if I agree with everything on this site (I haven't even read everything), but, well, here is the mission statement: ""The purpose of Soulforce is freedom for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance.""
#21 Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

They won't have the balance of character synergy and complimented thought processes as much as a heterosexual couple could.

This presupposes rigid and problematic gender roles (or stereotypes).

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#22 Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

There are gay pride parades. I think that's what they call them. I think those are ridiculous, but I don't have any complaints otherwise.
#23 Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

There are gay pride parades. I think that's what they call them. I think those are ridiculous, but I don't have any complaints otherwise.

Why are they ridiculous?
#24 Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:

I don't believe sexual preference is biological, though. There is no scientific evidence for that claim.

Do you mean to say that you don't believe it's entirely biological?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#25 Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

They won't have the balance of character synergy and complimented thought processes as much as a heterosexual couple could.

Why?
#26 Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:

a sense of the ridiculous is de riguer at the sydney mardi gras.
#27 Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This whole homosexuals not being able to get married (or at least the benefits of a legal union), have full guardian rights over their children, and familial recognition with their partners because of someone else's religion is really quite disgusting.

Agreed. I'm straight, but I fully support gay rights, including the right to marry and have kids.

Quote:

Actually, while there hasn't been enough research to be 100% sure, there is evidence that genetics play a part. I saw one show on TV where it talked about how gay men are more likely to have a certain proportional finger length, and their hair is more likely to grow in a certain direction than straight men.

Quote:

I think gay pride parades stand out as weird because they're the only group doing that type of thing. I think other minorities should have similar pride parades. Who wants to do a veggie pride parade?

--Fromper

#28 Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Agreed. I'm straight, but I fully support gay rights, including the right to marry and have kids.

Actually, while there hasn't been enough research to be 100% sure, there is evidence that genetics play a part. I saw one show on TV where it talked about how gay men are more likely to have a certain proportional finger length, and their hair is more likely to grow in a certain direction than straight men.

I think gay pride parades stand out as weird because they're the only group doing that type of thing. I think other minorities should have similar pride parades. Who wants to do a veggie pride parade?

--Fromper

I do! Veggie pride parades are a great idea! I see the gay prides parades as a way to get the idea that it's not something to be ashamed of out into the public conciousness and keep the issue at the top of peoples minds.
#29 Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I do! Veggie pride parades are a great idea! I see the gay prides parades as a way to get the idea that it's not something to be ashamed of out into the public conciousness and keep the issue at the top of peoples minds.

I want a veggie pride parade!

*cough*

Gay pride parades are cute and all, but it's really just one big party. Beer bongs, marijuana, and flashing everywhere, I'd say it's like Mardi Gras with less boobs.
#30 Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Gay pride parades are cute and all, but it's really just one big party. Beer bongs, marijuana, and flashing everywhere, I'd say it's like Mardi Gras with less boobs.

Yeah, that's what I like about them too.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page