KFC Canada introduces vegan chicken. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if this has been posted already.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/435073
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope Yum! brands follows suit. I would LOVE to have a Vegan Chik'n choice. I cook at home most of the time, but as a "single" (husband works out of state) working mom, there are some nights when I just want to grab something from the drive-thru, and Mexican gets kind of old after awhile.
#3 Old 06-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

That's exciting! I'm not sure I would actually eat it, but it's still a huge step forward. Great example for the fastfood industry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

OMGG!!!! That's great!, I'm not from Canada, and even if I lived there I wouldn't eat at KFC, but that's a great step.

Finally KFC Canada is stopping the way it treats the chickens and even better, adding a vegan chicken. AWESOME!!

I just hope KFC in the rest of the world will pay attention and change their ways. This really gives us hope.
#5 Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

i totally appreciate the sentiment behind it, and think its great that someone managed to push kfc into something that they feel is positive, but i also seriously doubt that many of those vegan chicken burgers are gonna sell.

i wouldn't go within 20 feet of a kfc, and doubt many other veg*ns would either. it absolutely reeks. i wouldn't be inclined to give them any of my cash either. are they having a designated frier? are there any sides you can get with the chikn thing that are halfway vegan?... the fries might be (don't know, have only looked at them, not eaten them), but they reek of chicken, even if they are.
#6 Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan chicken? From KFC? Are we in bizarro world? I'm curious to see what will happen with this.
#7 Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Whoa is is pretty odd. Good, but odd. Like nookle said, I'm very interested to see how this goes.
#8 Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

Vegan chicken? From KFC? Are we in bizarro world? I'm curious to see what will happen with this.

+1
#9 Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I can't imagine patronizing KFC, but perhaps it'll make life easier for some veg*ns (and maybe publicize the issue a bit). I guess it can't hurt.
#10 Old 06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

As much as I really appreciate people not wanting to give money to a corporation like YUM, I will NEVER understand the when vegetarians/vegans complain that these places don't offer food they can eat and the corporation responds by offering something they can eat then they say, GREAT! But I still won't eat there.

Then the stuff won't sell, and they will take it off the menu. Or you could go there, show your support for that product ONLY, and maybe they will get the hint and offer MORE.

If the KFC near me offered this in a wrap, you bet your bottom dollar I'd go. At least once in a while. Sure I would. I believe in supporting what I like with money in my pocket. Might YUM use my money in ways I don't agree with? They might, but then again, if you worried yourself with every dollar you spent at places and where it ended up, you'd never buy stuff again.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#11 Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

If I still ate fast food I would eat there, because it makes me feel bad when my parents go buy KFC and I have to slave for 3 hours in the kitchen. It also annoys me because they never tell me ahead of time, so I don't get to eat at the table with them, which, to me, is important.

I dropped fast food a while ago though.

...........but that was partially because no one served vegan items except for taco del mar, where no one ever takes me.
#12 Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Baby steps, baby steps. Great to hear that they are moving in the right direction.
#13 Old 06-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

Baby steps, baby steps. Great to hear that they are moving in the right direction.

Totally agree! And they should be supported for responding to the activists' demands!

I hope people will buy the vegan chicken, and that KFC will see that there is a demand for it so that they will have it in all their locations. I never eat fast food, but if I was travelling and knew that I could grab some veg chicken, I'd definitely show my veg support by voting VEG with my dollars.
#14 Old 06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd eat there if I lived in CA... Only because I think that if you desire change, when change does happen you should support the change.

But yeah, do they even HAVE vegan sides? That would be faboo.
#15 Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

I'd eat there if I lived in CA... Only because I think that if you desire change, when change does happen you should support the change.

But yeah, do they even HAVE vegan sides? That would be faboo.

Don't they have corn on the cob or something?
#16 Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolinCyndee View Post

Don't they have corn on the cob or something?

With butter, most likely.
#17 Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh. I still find KFC revolting. Personally, I am sick of all the "welfare" changes in fast food business. Don't get me wrong, it's great that people are finally beginning to look into the treatment of factory farmed animals, but seriously, it's only going to make people buy and want more chicken because they think it was actually mercifully killed. PETA is giving KFC exactly what it wants....the animal rights activists get off their back, and they get to keep on selling chicken. It's debatable on whether or not welfare should come before rights, but I'm still feeling uneasy about this whole thing.
#18 Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh lookie, Peta sold out the animals again. Poor chickens.

I'd never give any kind of support to KFC, or any other animal-based fast food enterprise and I sincerely hope others don't either.
#19 Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been under the impression that PETA's gig is to continually troll the most egregious offenders of animal cruelty until they improve, at which point they move their carrot-and-stick routine to the next-worst offender. It's great because it both allows them to play companies off each other, and it makes PETA look all that more effective when they bring their targets to bear on a new company.

That said, I cannot foresee eating in a KFC in my future. I can't remember a greasier restaurant. Chairs, tables, counters, walls, even the napkins. All greasy.
#20 Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenguin View Post

I've been under the impression that PETA's gig is to continually troll the most egregious offenders of animal cruelty until they improve, at which point they move their carrot-and-stick routine to the next-worst offender. It's great because it both allows them to play companies off each other, and it makes PETA look all that more effective when they bring their targets to bear on a new company.

Exactly. PETA will just move on to the next worst one. And then KFC will move onto the list again soon enough, if they refuse to comply with the bettering standards.

To deny that this means anything positive seems short-sighted.

And whoever would have thought that KFC would be pressured to have veg chicken either? Veg is becoming more mainstream - and it's possible to imagine a day when even KFC stops selling "real" chicken - the road is being paved.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#21 Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

Then the stuff won't sell, and they will take it off the menu.

How do you say in English - I couldnt care less?

Why should we be worried that KFC etc. take anything off the menu, when the world would be so much better off without fast food chains altogether?

Quote:
Or you could go there, show your support for that product ONLY, and maybe they will get the hint and offer MORE []

Remind me to buy a fake fur at the fur coat store when they start offering them.

But only after they signed a deal to murder the real pelt bearers that are made into their other items in a painless way.

Quote:
I believe in supporting what I like with money in my pocket. Might YUM use my money in ways I don't agree with? They might, but then again, if you worried yourself with every dollar you spent at places and where it ended up, you'd never buy stuff again.

One definitely has to make certain concessions in order to be able to buy anything at all.

With some products it is even hard to find out where exactly they come from and under which conditions they are made; price and quality tell something about a products background, but not everything. Its especially difficult with clothing and shoes. Its not hard to imagine where 1 EUR t-shirts come from, but there is no guarantee that one which costs 50 times as much doesnt come from a similar source.

There are certain companies however, where I dont really have to worry myself much, as it is well known where the stuff they sell comes from, how it is made, and what they do with the money that for example I would give them if I bought anything there.

In this case (KFC) it would mean they will mainly spend it on advertising in order to sell more real chicken now gassed for animal welfare improvement of course...

Supporting what I like with money in my pocket is one thing.

Not supporting what I am against is at least as important imho.

I wouldnt even buy a soft drink at KFC.

Support your local veg*n/veg-friendly places instead!
#22 Old 06-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Support your local veg*n/veg-friendly places instead!

I would, if there were any within a 100 mile radius.

I guess it's nice that they are offering something (it is nice to have options when your in a bind), but I extremely dislike fast food... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
#23 Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I would, if there were any within a 100 mile radius.

Not even a veg-friendly place, like a restaurant/café/diner that offers at least one decent veg*n option, and does not belong to a fast food chain? Maybe you should open one

Considering that American grocery stores seem to offer a myriad of vegan foods (compared to some smaller Western countries), I am stunned that at the same time, there seem to be so few restaurants in some areas, or places where a veg*n could find a decent meal. Considering the product range of grocery stores, one would think that there is a high demand after all. Isn't it the case that Americans now eat out more than than they cook or eat at home? I just watched a documentary that claimed two thirds of US families (no idea about single and childless people, I guess even more?) never eat a real meal at home sitting around the table, but always pick up something from a fast food chain and usually eat it right on the parking lot, in their cars. I think (hope) they may have exaggerated a bit though.
#24 Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 AM

I read the original article and the one thing that I found peculiar was that the Dalai Lama was also involved in the putting pressure on KFC.

"Demonstrators, who have included former Playboy pinup Lauren Anderson, have burned effigies of company icon, Col. Sanders. Other notables such as Paul McCartney, the Dalai Lama, and Chrissie Hynde have participated in the campaign."

Considering that he consumes meat like it's going out of style, I find it rather bizarre. His big smile might seduce others but I'm not impressed.

As far as KFC goes, I haven't eaten that in 15 years at least and I don't think this will get me back into their restaurant. I can't help but think that it the example that veg's will offer the world as they stroll through the doors of a KFC has to count for something.
#25 Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I think thats great, especially the welfare improvements. I still would not eat there though, because it's still KFC that benefits. the more money they get, the more they can expand and so the more chickens that die. Now they are not only bieng supported by meat eaters, but also vegans and vegetarians.

But it will make a difference to the individual birds lives, so good on PETA!
#26 Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband rarely ever gets from KFC, but if they were to offer an option like that here, it would be good to know that there was an option if I were in a bind. I don't like KFC, but it's a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Considering that American grocery stores seem to offer a myriad of vegan foods (compared to some smaller Western countries), I am stunned that at the same time, there seem to be so few restaurants in some areas, or places where a veg*n could find a decent meal. Considering the product range of grocery stores, one would think that there is a high demand after all. Isn't it the case that Americans now eat out more than than they cook or eat at home? I just watched a documentary that claimed two thirds of US families (no idea about single and childless people, I guess even more?) never eat a real meal at home sitting around the table, but always pick up something from a fast food chain and usually eat it right on the parking lot, in their cars. I think (hope) they may have exaggerated a bit though.[/SIZE]

Veg*n offerings in mainstream grocery stores are not as widespread as you might think in the US. If you're not in a metropolitan area, the variety and availabilty of veg*n convenience type items decreases dramatically. Many veg*n items are only available in health food stores, and those aren't as common outside metropolitan areas. American-style restaurants typically only offer a veggie burger (usually not vegan) on their menu and maybe a pasta dish that's loaded with dairy. If you live in a rural area or even not so rural an area, there aren't many restaurants that aren't fast food or American-style. The last I read, vegetarians only make up about 3% of the US population, and vegans are less than half of that number, so demand is fairly low.

As far as Americans eating out a lot, it's true. I don't know what the percentages are, but it's definitely high.
#27 Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As much as I really appreciate people not wanting to give money to a corporation like YUM, I will NEVER understand the when vegetarians/vegans complain that these places don't offer food they can eat and the corporation responds by offering something they can eat then they say, GREAT! But I still won't eat there.

Then the stuff won't sell, and they will take it off the menu. Or you could go there, show your support for that product ONLY, and maybe they will get the hint and offer MORE.

If the KFC near me offered this in a wrap, you bet your bottom dollar I'd go. At least once in a while. Sure I would. I believe in supporting what I like with money in my pocket. Might YUM use my money in ways I don't agree with? They might, but then again, if you worried yourself with every dollar you spent at places and where it ended up, you'd never buy stuff again.

I totally agree. Would it be terrific if everyone magically stopped eating at chain restaurants and started supporting local business again? Sure would, but I don't see that happening in the near future. I feel good about myself if I can stop someone from shopping at WalMart. As a movement, I think we shoot ourselves in the foot when we refuse to eat a food that is Vegan because it might support something non-Vegan. Truth of the matter is, the more market share we can garner buy buying a Vegan food (i.e. Vegan chik'n at KFC or Silk soy milk by Dean Foods), the less dependent that company is on earning money from cruelty. Silk Soy milk and White Wave's other vegan foodstuffs do nearly $450 million in sales, and every half gallon carton of soy milk purchased is also a half gallon of cow milk NOT purchased. That's good for Vegans who have greater product choice, and it's great for the cows due to the reduction in demand.

I eat healthy most of the time, so I doubt I'll be running after Vegan Chicken at KFC on a daily basis or anything. But if the product comes to Yum Foods in the US as part of a deal with PETA, you better believe I'll also be lined up to try one the first day it's available. If we don't support products that come out of agreements with PETA, we reduce the PETA's chances of being successful in their next campaign.
#28 Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

Ugh. I still find KFC revolting. Personally, I am sick of all the "welfare" changes in fast food business. Don't get me wrong, it's great that people are finally beginning to look into the treatment of factory farmed animals, but seriously, it's only going to make people buy and want more chicken because they think it was actually mercifully killed. PETA is giving KFC exactly what it wants....the animal rights activists get off their back, and they get to keep on selling chicken. It's debatable on whether or not welfare should come before rights, but I'm still feeling uneasy about this whole thing.

What I am doubting is that this is KFCs attempt to show concern for animal welfare.

Let's be honest: this is a show of concern for their bottom line.

As oil prices skyrocket, the price of meat is going to go through the roof. A business that has maintained it's financial stability on meat has to be concerned, very concerned.

I really think this has to do more with testing waters to see if they can make money off of something other than meat. Oh sure, they will spin words like "green" around it and blah blah blah, but YUM only wants to make money.

Hey, if it saves a few chickens in the process, I say whatever it takes. The world will NEVER be perfect, so I will take what we can get.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#29 Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

I Truth of the matter is, the more market share we can garner buy buying a Vegan food (i.e. Vegan chik'n at KFC or Silk soy milk by Dean Foods), the less dependent that company is on earning money from cruelty. Silk Soy milk and White Wave's other vegan foodstuffs do nearly $450 million in sales, and every half gallon carton of soy milk purchased is also a half gallon of cow milk NOT purchased. That's good for Vegans who have greater product choice, and it's great for the cows due to the reduction in demand.

But it's bad for the humans who suffer from the corporations' unethical business practices, poor sourcing, environmental toll (such as from importing these specialty foods hundreds or thousands of miles) or non-vegan causes the money goes to support.

Truth of the matter is, it's not always so cut and dry. Ending the cruelty on an animal level may bring with it a cost at an environmental or human-animal level. While I understand your argument, I also understand (and sympathize wtih) veg*ns who want to be cautious about every dollar they spend and where it goes. That too can have a ripple effect, albiet on a smaller level, and influence the spending habits of those around them.
#30 Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What I am doubting is that this is KFCs attempt to show concern for animal welfare.

Let's be honest: this is a show of concern for their bottom line.

As oil prices skyrocket, the price of meat is going to go through the roof. A business that has maintained it's financial stability on meat has to be concerned, very concerned.

I really think this has to do more with testing waters to see if they can make money off of something other than meat. Oh sure, they will spin words like "green" around it and blah blah blah, but YUM only wants to make money.

Hey, if it saves a few chickens in the process, I say whatever it takes. The world will NEVER be perfect, so I will take what we can get.

I still won't give a single penny to them though, even if there was nowhere else to eat within a hundred miles. Naturally, I tend to be biased towards fast food chains, since I work at a family-owned vegetarian restaraunt.

I haven't purchased a single thing from a fast food place for years and I don't intend to start now, even if they are offering faux meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page