KFC Canada introduces vegan chicken. - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

Not exactly. You can boycott them if you want, but I don't agree with boycotting them once they've provided a vegan option.

Then we go back to my earlier question: what is wrong with buying a vegan steak made by a small vegan company instead of some vegan fast food from KFC or McDonald's? Why is it better to buy the latter than to boycott the latter and buy the former?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Then we go back to my earlier question: what is wrong with buying a vegan steak made by a small vegan company instead of some vegan fast food from KFC or McDonald's? Why is it better to buy the latter than to boycott the latter and buy the former?

Well, I think it's because when you're out running errands, working, etc. and you're hungry and crunched for time, where are you going to get a vegan steak from a small vegan company? If you planned ahead and brought something to eat with you, that's great! But, sometimes, even those of us who are good about planning ahead forget or stuff comes up. Nobody is perfect. Lots of people aren't good about planning ahead, so to have a vegan option somewhere where before there was none is nice. If you live somewhere where there are no vegan/vegetarian restaurants, having a mainstream restaurant that has a vegan option is nice. IIRC, in Vegan Freaks they talk about eating at Subway and Taco Bell while on the road or out and about. How does that differ from KFC?

~kathy
#93 Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

So are you saying that the fact that some people need to eat fast food means that the rest of us have to buy from KFC too? I don't get it. If I or anyone else decides to continue to boycott anything that has to do with KFC or Mickey D's and use most of their consumer influence to support small vegan companies, how is that bad?

I get it that some people want to eat at fast food restaurants, but how is that a reason for the rest of us not to boycott KFC?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with Sevenseas on this one...I for one do not wish to spend my money at places that perpetuate the deaths and torture of millions of animals. That being said, if I am out and about, I tend to go to local places rather than chain fast food joints.
#95 Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:

So are you saying that the fact that some people need to eat fast food means that the rest of us have to buy from KFC too? I don't get it. If I or anyone else decides to continue to boycott anything that has to do with KFC or Mickey D's and use most of their consumer influence to support small vegan companies, how is that bad?

I get it that some people want to eat at fast food restaurants, but how is that a reason for the rest of us not to boycott KFC?

No, I'm not saying that anyone has to eat at KFC.

Supporting small companies is not bad, it's good! I personally prefer to support small businesses whenever I can.

All I'm saying is the reason why some people may choose a vegan option at KFC over a vegan steak from a small vegan business. Which would be convenience.

~kathy
#96 Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because if you go into KFC and buy a vegan option, you're showing up on their stats for a start.

Also, when omni's go into KFC and see the word 'vegan' on the menu they become more exposed to the idea of vegan food. The concept of veganism itself slowly seeps into the public's consciousness...and it does it far more effectively IMO, than simply living as a vegan and boycotting from a distance.

I think if you do it the way that you're suggesting, they almost don't know you're there because there aren't enough vegans around for them to notice the impact of your boycott.
#97 Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because if you go into KFC and buy a vegan option, you're showing up on their stats for a start.

Why is that more useful than creating more demand for small vegan companies so that they can operate with more money and create more products to offer to consumers?

Quote:
Also, when omni's go into KFC and see the word 'vegan' on the menu they become more exposed to the idea of vegan food.

How is that more significant/important than omnis seeing new vegan products in the aisle of the store they visit, offered by the companies focusing on veg*n products that many vegans are supporting instead of KFC?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#98 Old 07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why is that more useful than creating more demand for small vegan companies so that they can operate with more money and create more products to offer to consumers?

Vegan companies are great, but in my country they exist in a vacuum as does the whole concept of veganism really when compared to the mainstream. Whereas, KFC is hard-core omni territory and those are the people that need to be exposed to veganism.

Quote:
How is that more significant/important than omnis seeing new vegan products in the aisle of the store they visit, offered by the companies focusing on veg*n products that many vegans are supporting instead of KFC?

There isn't really a difference, but I do think that omni's are kind of forced to see the word 'vegan' in a fast food chain, whereas in the supermarket, at least where I live, they can easily ignore the veggie section if they want to....it's pretty insignificant.
#99 Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 AM

I only have a limited amount of money and prefer to give as little as possible to unethical companies as I can so that I may give more to ethical companies.

When I was vegetarian I continued to eat at McDonalds at around the same frequency as before but after going vegan decided that the money I spent there could be put to much greater use. I take food with me wherever I go and if I forget then I simply go hungry until I get home which tends to stop me forgetting for a while afterwards.

I may have little impact but I know that there is now a certain amount of money that companies like that are not getting yearly now, while that money goes to online vegan stores, other ethical companies, and I seem to have more money now for charities which is nice.
#100 Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

I only have a limited amount of money and prefer to give as little as possible to unethical companies as I can so that I may give more to ethical companies.

When I was vegetarian I continued to eat at McDonalds at around the same frequency as before but after going vegan decided that the money I spent there could be put to much greater use. I take food with me wherever I go and if I forget then I simply go hungry until I get home which tends to stop me forgetting for a while afterwards.

I may have little impact but I know that there is now a certain amount of money that companies like that are not getting yearly now, while that money goes to online vegan stores, other ethical companies, and I seem to have more money now for charities which is nice.

Well said! I'm the same way. See.. there is a "we"...

Quote:

There isn't really a difference, but I do think that omni's are kind of forced to see the word 'vegan' in a fast food chain, whereas in the supermarket, at least where I live, they can easily ignore the veggie section if they want to....it's pretty insignificant.

Burger King has had a veggie burger on their menu for years now... and most people don't even know it exists because it's not on a "value" menu.. in some restaurants it's not even on the menu.

Fast food restaurants are convenient.. which is why I've stopped going to BK (plus I didn't know the veggie burger wasn't vegan ), but I don't feel like they're a necessity...

Cathiasplace - Vegan Freak Radio rocks.

I don't think it's a moral sin that can never be redeemed if you are travelling and you have absolutely no option (that you know of) but to eat a veggie patty from Subway or a burrito from Taco Bell, but if you have the choice NOT to - I'd say don't.

So I repeat my earlier sentiments... it's nice that they have the option... but I'm still not going there. I live in North America anyway, they don't have that here.

I don't know what the big deal is anyway, you're surviving just fine without going there now, why bother going there if they do start offering it around you?

Also, you could always ask your local grocery story about vegan options, etc.
#101 Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

I live in North America anyway, they don't have that here.

So you don't live in the Canadian part then?
#102 Old 07-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

So you don't live in the Canadian part then?

#103 Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I hate the word "vegan chicken". There's no such bloody thing as a vegan chicken.

(Yes, I know that this is mock "chicken", but I still hate the term.)
#104 Old 07-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Sure there is..the vegan chicken hang out with the vegetarian fish.
#105 Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I hate the word "vegan chicken". There's no such bloody thing as a vegan chicken.

(Yes, I know that this is mock "chicken", but I still hate the term.)

My chickens are vegan! :P
#106 Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

#107 Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

Hehe.

Of course they are.
#108 Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

Sure there is..the vegan chicken hang out with the vegetarian fish.

You mean those fish that grow on trees????
#109 Old 07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:

hehe.. but chickens like to eat bugs.. so.. does that make them.. semi-vegan...? semi-vegetarian? "flexitarian"? or are bugs vegetables too?

#110 Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

hehe.. but chickens like to eat bugs.. so.. does that make them.. semi-vegan...? semi-vegetarian? "flexitarian"? or are bugs vegetables too?

Yeah, technically they're omnivores. But the food I get them is all vegan, and I've actually never seen them eat a small critter, except one time they went for this worm but I rescued the little fellow. I guess they're evil pseudo-vegans. But I'll forgive them, in this rare instance. XD
#111 Old 07-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny11 View Post

And mine have always been super rubbery and tough, so I know they're not lying!

Same here. They definitely taste microwaved.
#112 Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd buy it if they were to offer it in Australia.

m8itcanw8.com
#113 Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 PM

That's real cool. Most fake meats in my supermarket have egg in them /:
#114 Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn it PETA, gassing chickens isn't ethical. They're still dead! I'm sick of these fake victories. Whether you throw a chicken into boiling water or gas it to death, it dies and someone eats it. I fail to see the "Ethical Treatment" here.

Quote:
"It will be nice to put this behind us," Langford said. "Our preference is to have nothing negative attached to our brand."

Langford said the Canadian operations, which are independent of those in the U.S., had chosen to take the situation into its own hands and talk to PETA about animal welfare.

"Once I got involved and we actually met face to face, we found out that we had no differences of opinion about how animals should be treated," Langford said.

"We landed in a very good place."

Translation: Finally those whiny freaks will leave us alone. We still get to kill as many chickens as we want and we even found a company who will gas them and it costs less than our previous method! Suckers! We'll put a "burger" on the menu for them, and after no one buys it we can pull it off and say "well, we tried". Good thing PETA sees things the same way as us: animals are just products to be killed and eaten, but it is kind of wrong to cause them too much harm in the process!

People, KFC is the largest killer of chickens in the world. Purchasing their vegan item supports that. The freaking place is called Kentucky Fried Chicken!! Until there isn't demand for chicken, it'll stay in business. And giving them money isn't going to fix that, it'll just give them more power to market more chicken. This is the wrong company to support. Unlike a supermarket or a varied restaurant, their product line revolves around dead chickens.

Instead, find out what "chicken" burger they're going to be offering and purchase it from a grocery store; it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run. Hell, if you can manage to do so, buy it directly from that company, they'll make more money that way. That's real support for vegan products.

And for those complaining so much about the convenience of it, it's nice to know that saving yourself five minutes is more important than your ethics. Every grocery store has something that is a vegan option and will tide you over, even if it isn't particularly palatable. Get yourself a loaf of bread if you have to. If you really can't find anything, perhaps you could be hungry for a few hours. That inconvenience seems a bit less so than... I dunno, being killed for food?

Supporting a company who profits off of murdering millions of animals every year and selling those corpses en masse as completely disgusting, unhealthy meals that promote obesity is completely unethical. If you want to give your support to some company for providing vegan options, that's great, but choose the lesser evil. KFC definitely isn't that.
#115 Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Damn it PETA, gassing chickens isn't ethical. They're still dead! I'm sick of these fake victories. Whether you throw a chicken into boiling water or gas it to death, it dies and someone eats it. I fail to see the "Ethical Treatment" here.

What, you actually think that PETA don't know that it's still death?
#116 Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 AM

I told my 15 year old stepdaughter about this. She's been vegetarian for about 8 months now. Her response was "that's dumb. How could anyone against bad treatment and killing of animals support them knowing how horrible they are to chickens".
#117 Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan option or not I still wouldn't support KFC.
#118 Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Translation: Finally those whiny freaks will leave us alone. We still get to kill as many chickens as we want and we even found a company who will gas them and it costs less than our previous method! Suckers! We'll put a "burger" on the menu for them, and after no one buys it we can pull it off and say "well, we tried". Good thing PETA sees things the same way as us: animals are just products to be killed and eaten, but it is kind of wrong to cause them too much harm in the process!

People, KFC is the largest killer of chickens in the world. Purchasing their vegan item supports that. The freaking place is called Kentucky Fried Chicken!! Until there isn't demand for chicken, it'll stay in business. And giving them money isn't going to fix that, it'll just give them more power to market more chicken. This is the wrong company to support. Unlike a supermarket or a varied restaurant, their product line revolves around dead chickens.

Instead, find out what "chicken" burger they're going to be offering and purchase it from a grocery store; it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run. Hell, if you can manage to do so, buy it directly from that company, they'll make more money that way. That's real support for vegan products.

And for those complaining so much about the convenience of it, it's nice to know that saving yourself five minutes is more important than your ethics. Every grocery store has something that is a vegan option and will tide you over, even if it isn't particularly palatable. Get yourself a loaf of bread if you have to. If you really can't find anything, perhaps you could be hungry for a few hours. That inconvenience seems a bit less so than... I dunno, being killed for food?

Supporting a company who profits off of murdering millions of animals every year and selling those corpses en masse as completely disgusting, unhealthy meals that promote obesity is completely unethical. If you want to give your support to some company for providing vegan options, that's great, but choose the lesser evil. KFC definitely isn't that.

obviously you dont know much about the slaughtering process. the electrocution method that was previously used to kill chickens was not always effective meaning that some chickens were having their throats cut while still conscious. the gassing method is more effective because it at least ensures the all the chickens are unconscious and unaware of any pain at the time of slaughter. anyone who whinges about this change of method (when its obvious that the chickens are going to bloody die anyway !!) is either ignorant to reality or is experiencing a deficit when it comes to logical thinking.

and about the fast food thing, get over it man. you need to be a bit more open minded and learn to live with the fact that people live different lives and not every vegan is a wannabe hippy that enjoys munching on bread when theyre out doing their thing. i certainly dont, i wanna real snack, and if i feel like a bloody faux chicken burger ill have it.
#119 Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post

Vegan option or not I still wouldn't support KFC.

Neither would I.

Where I live two KFCs have gone out of business permanently - not relocated -, and the buildings converted into car washes. This is what I want to see, and it won't happen unless people stop going there and buying their crap. I'm glad to go hungry when its not convenient to bring a snack along when I am out if my only option is to support places like KFC and McDonald's. And I am not a wannabe hippy either. I just don't wanna give my money to people who kill chickens.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#120 Old 07-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

obviously you dont know much about the slaughtering process. the electrocution method that was previously used to kill chickens was not always effective meaning that some chickens were having their throats cut while still conscious. the gassing method is more effective because it at least ensures the all the chickens are unconscious and unaware of any pain at the time of slaughter. anyone who whinges about this change of method (when its obvious that the chickens are going to bloody die anyway !!) is either ignorant to reality or is experiencing a deficit when it comes to logical thinking.

Wait. Why exactly should so-called animal rights activists be promoting more effective ways of killing chickens?

If you sincerely think CAK is better for chickens, and other nonhumans, as a whole, you very probably have a serious deficit when it comes to logical thinking.

1. Make murdering animals more efficient

2. Make murdering animals more profitable

3. ????

4. Animal Liberation?

Not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

and about the fast food thing, get over it man. you need to be a bit more open minded and learn to live with the fact that people live different lives and not every vegan is a wannabe hippy that enjoys munching on bread when theyre out doing their thing. i certainly dont, i wanna real snack, and if i feel like a bloody faux chicken burger ill have it.

'Bloody' is such a quaint adjective to describe this nonvegan snack made by one of the largest murderers of nonhuman animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page