KFC Canada introduces vegan chicken. - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

That's cool. And it might not be ideal, but sometimes when you are out with friends or family you don't have much choice in where you end up eating...at least there's an option.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

The whole point of fast food is convenience.

It's the food you buy when you're out and about. You reason you buy it is so you don't have to go home and start cooking something.

I’ve read and seen on TV that in the US, many people now buy fast food most if the time instead of cooking at home, so it’s not mainly when they’re away from home and lack other options.

Often, they actually are already at home, but then get into in their cars to pick up something from a drive-in fast food place, either to take it home or to eat it there. I’ve seen that at some places there’s even a waitress (never seen any at KFC/McD & Co. here but I’m far from being an expert on the current fast food market) who brings them food trays which they put on their laps, and then they eat their hamburgers etc. right in the car.

Even having breakfast at fast food places seems to be rather common. One would think that for example pouring some cereal into a bowl and peeling a banana are convenient, but no. Apparently at least in the US fast food has already replaced both homecooked meals and eating (even microwaved meals etc.) at home in general for many people. It may be the thing “you do”, but nothing I would even want to consider even if there were vegan options.

Sadly more and more people seem to have forgotten (or never knew) how to prepare even the simplest meals – and I’m not talking haute cuisine here. So they might consider picking up fast food and eating it at home or in their car more convenient than cooking, although they cannot really estimate it what it would be like to cook. Not to mention that comparing crap with real food seems wrong to begin with.

Cooking most of ones meals at home, being prepared and bringing food when one is out and about, and on occasion supporting places that serve real food made from fresh ingredients instead of standardised items that actually do stink a lot (and not just in the literal sense) can be very convenient if you’re only used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

That's cool. And it might not be ideal, but sometimes when you are out with friends or family you don't have much choice in where you end up eating...at least there's an option.

It may not be ideal either, but you always have a choice to not order something for yourself there.

Edit: Just my 2 cents, not telling anyone what they should (not) eat and where (not)...
#63 Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Ive read and seen on TV that in the US, many people now buy fast food most if the time instead of cooking at home, so its not mainly when theyre away from home and lack other options.

Often, they actually are already at home, but then get into in their cars to pick up something from a drive-in fast food place, either to take it home or to eat it there. Ive seen that at some places theres even a waitress (never seen any at KFC/McD & Co. here but Im far from being an expert on the current fast food market) who brings them food trays which they put on their laps, and then they eat their hamburgers etc. right in the car.

Even having breakfast at fast food places seems to be rather common. One would think that for example pouring some cereal into a bowl and peeling a banana are convenient, but no. Apparently at least in the US fast food has already replaced both homecooked meals and eating (even microwaved meals etc.) at home in general for many people. It may be the thing you do, but nothing I would even want to consider even if there were vegan options.

Sadly more and more people seem to have forgotten (or never knew) how to prepare even the simplest meals and Im not talking haute cuisine here. So they might consider picking up fast food and eating it at home or in their car more convenient than cooking, although they cannot really estimate it what it would be like to cook. Not to mention that comparing crap with real food seems wrong to begin with.

Cooking most of ones meals at home, being prepared and bringing food when one is out and about, and on occasion supporting places that serve real food made from fresh ingredients instead of standardised items that actually do stink a lot (and not just in the literal sense) can be very convenient if youre only used to it.

It may not be ideal either, but you always have a choice to not order something for yourself there.

Edit: Just my 2 cents, not telling anyone what they should (not) eat and where (not)...

Yeah, exactly. Most people DO use fast food more because they just don't feel like cooking something. I find that being vegan and NOT having options at the fast food restaurants has actually been a lot better for me because I don't have an excuse not to prepare my own food ;D

I don't prepare all of my own food and usually if it doesn't take 15 minutes or less to prepare, I won't cook it, because I don't have time. lol

It takes 5 minutes to prep a veggie burger. Pop it in the microwave for three minutes, prep your bread and whatever you want on it, flop on the patty, close the bread and go. You want fries with that? Can't help you there, I don't like microwaved fries. Get a bag of chips and call it lunch.

So while it is nice that there is an option if you feel you're stuck in a corner about it, I don't think it's necessary. If you're a vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons then I don't see why you would go to an establishment like KFC just for the simple luxury of a vegan chicken sandwich. We want them to go out of business, not stay in business for us.

Has anyone ever heard of a vegetarian fast food restaurant called "Happy Garden" or something.. I think that's what it was called.. it was all vegetarian and they had happy meals for the kids and stuff.. I think there was only one location. THAT's what we need for our convenience

Again, that's just my opinion, I don't mean to be offensive to anyone. I've definitely been guilty of getting some fast food here and there. I just don't want to anymore. I will not be a slaaaaaaaave to the tastey burger king french frriiieessss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

Yeah, exactly. Most people DO use fast food more because they just don't feel like cooking something. I find that being vegan and NOT having options at the fast food restaurants has actually been a lot better for me because I don't have an excuse not to prepare my own food ;D

I don't prepare all of my own food and usually if it doesn't take 15 minutes or less to prepare, I won't cook it, because I don't have time. lol

It takes 5 minutes to prep a veggie burger. Pop it in the microwave for three minutes, prep your bread and whatever you want on it, flop on the patty, close the bread and go. You want fries with that? Can't help you there, I don't like microwaved fries. Get a bag of chips and call it lunch.

So while it is nice that there is an option if you feel you're stuck in a corner about it, I don't think it's necessary. If you're a vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons then I don't see why you would go to an establishment like KFC just for the simple luxury of a vegan chicken sandwich. We want them to go out of business, not stay in business for us.

whats this "we" stuff? not every veg*n lives the life you do or has the same wants as you do. when im away from home i want to be able to go into a fast food outlet and get a veg*n option. i dont always want to plan ahead or rush home to make something to eat whenever hunger hits.
#65 Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I’ve read and seen on TV that in the US, many people now buy fast food most if the time instead of cooking at home, so it’s not mainly when they’re away from home and lack other options.

May be they do, but most veg*ns probably don't.

They're arguably more inclined to be more informed about their food choices and would rely on fast food as a convenience and not as a staple food.
#66 Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, like your friend above said, not every veg*n lives the life you do.

I personally would not want to rely for my "convenience" on a place that makes 99.9% of their turnover from selling dead chickens when there are alternatives.

But what do I know...
#67 Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I personally would not want to rely for my "convenience" on a place that makes 99.9% of their turnover from selling dead chickens when there are alternatives.

But what do I know...

+1
#68 Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't step inside a KFC no matter what vegan items they were offering. Unless I was carrying some anti-KFC leaflets.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#69 Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't like KFC when I ate meat. Their food is way greasy. I'm all about increasing demand for veg options in restaurants but I can't imagine KFC vegan fried chicken actually tasting good.
#70 Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But what do I know...

We live in a capitalist, meat-eating society so KFC aren't going to shut down any time soon. So, rather than sit around waiting for the whole world to turn vegan, which probably isn't going to happen before I die, I prefer to contribute to creating a demand for a different type of fast food within their business. If enough people did that, they'd cut back on their chicken sales.
#71 Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM

I bet any amount of money they will fry this stuff in the same grease the dead chickens go in.
#72 Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is it so important to create a demand for vegan products at KFC? Why is it more important than creating a demand for small vegan companies? Those companies are more ethical overall.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#73 Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Why is it so important to create a demand for vegan products at KFC? Why is it more important than creating a demand for small vegan companies? Those companies are more ethical overall.

Exactly what I have wondered every time the issue comes up, and what I meant to express before, in a nutshell. Why take it for granted that one has to have any type of customer relationship with them at all?

Quote:

We live in a capitalist, meat-eating society so KFC aren't going to shut down any time soon. So, rather than sit around waiting for the whole world to turn vegan, which probably isn't going to happen before I die, I prefer to contribute to creating a demand for a different type of fast food within their business. If enough people did that, they'd cut back on their chicken sales.

Every person who refuses to buy at KFC etc. already reduces the demand for the types of food in question as much as they personally can. If they also create a demand for alternatives offered by small and/or vegan companies (is this "sitting around waiting"?), all the better.

And what does considering whether the whole world will turn vegan, or if this will happen in ones lifetime, even have to do with the choice one already can make right now? Nothing much imho.
#74 Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well it's not that it's more important to me SS, it's just more realistic. There aren't any vegan companies where I live creating fast food. If there were I'd go there believe me.
#75 Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Why does one have to support the creation of vegan fast food in particular?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#76 Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Why wouldn't I want fast food that is vegan?

What's wrong with eating it now and then?
#77 Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Nothing wrong with vegan fast food. I'm just asking why one should support KFC's vegan fast food instead of, say, some soy-based vegan "steaks" made by a small vegan company?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#78 Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

whats this "we" stuff? not every veg*n lives the life you do or has the same wants as you do. when im away from home i want to be able to go into a fast food outlet and get a veg*n option. i dont always want to plan ahead or rush home to make something to eat whenever hunger hits.

You must not have read all the way through my post, I did say it was MY opinion.

WE must mean anyone that thinks like ME in that subject.

So :-P
#79 Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well it's not that it's more important to me SS, it's just more realistic. There aren't any vegan companies where I live creating fast food. If there were I'd go there believe me.

Rocky Beach, Australia???
#80 Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Nothing wrong with vegan fast food. I'm just asking why one should support KFC's vegan fast food instead of, say, some soy-based vegan "steaks" made by a small vegan company?

Because I can't eat the vegan steaks from the vegan company when I'm out. I'd have to go home to eat them which defeats the purpose
#81 Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Rocky Beach, Australia???

You're the one under the bloody rock not me
#82 Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You're the one under the bloody rock not me

Or you just have not noticed yet... Where I live at least I can get vegan fast food if I want to.
#83 Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Exactly what I have wondered every time the issue comes up, and what I meant to express before, in a nutshell. Why take it for granted that one has to have any type of customer relationship with them at all?

Every person who refuses to buy at KFC etc. already reduces the demand for the types of food in question as much as they personally can. If they also create a demand for alternatives offered by small and/or vegan companies (is this "sitting around waiting"?), all the better.

And what does considering whether the whole world will turn vegan, or if this will happen in ones lifetime, even have to do with the choice one already can make right now? Nothing much imho.

I agree with Quinoa.

I don't know about you, but I'm not "sitting around waiting" for the world to go vegan. I'm just not wasting my precious funds on a company that I don't want to support in anyway. I'll take my money to the places that I want to see prosper, thank you very much.

I didn't realize wanting more vegan companies was "unrealistic"...

There are no vegan companies where I live either... but if wanting them here is unrealistic then.. DAMN I might as well just go back to eating meat!
#84 Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

I didn't realize wanting more vegan companies was "unrealistic"...

There are no vegan companies where I live either... but if wanting them here is unrealistic then.. DAMN I might as well just go back to eating meat!

that wasnt what sybie said.
#85 Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Or you just have not noticed yet... Where I live at least I can get vegan fast food if I want to.

Taking it to PM....look out!
#86 Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Taking it to PM....look out!

I have. Why don't you just repeat it here.
#87 Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because I can't eat the vegan steaks from the vegan company when I'm out. I'd have to go home to eat them which defeats the purpose

Okay, but I take it we agree then, that there's nothing wrong with boycotting KFC products and buying other vegan products instead.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#88 Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Not exactly. You can boycott them if you want, but I don't agree with boycotting them once they've provided a vegan option.

Not that they have provoded that option in my country, but if I was in Canada, I'd buy open to buying the vegan chicken burger.
#89 Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have. Why don't you just repeat it here.

Because what I had to say to you isn't appropriate for the thread.
#90 Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Not that they have provoded that option in my country, but if I was in Canada, I'd buy open to buying the vegan chicken burger.

have another cone, youre doing really well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page