KFC Canada introduces vegan chicken. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 AM

I was recently at a combined KFC and A&W in Tracy, CA. I didn't notice Vegan chicken bits on the menu. I'll definitely look for them on my next visit. Loma Linda makes a veg fried chicken cutlet that I sometimes crave. I hope the KFC product is similar.

As a strictly vegetarian I was surprised the fried cheese curds at KFC are so good. The ultimate savory. Like eating candy. I could only eat about 1/4 of the serving, they are so rich. I liked them a lot.

I support the Canadian settlement.

No, I didn't eat chicken at KFC. I had a soda and the cheese curds (reminded me of a trip to Minnesota).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 AM

Every time I walk by a KFC my stomach turns because of the smell. Even my non-veg friends won't eat there.
#33 Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Not even a veg-friendly place, like a restaurant/café/diner that offers at least one decent veg*n option, and does not belong to a fast food chain? Maybe you should open one

Considering that American grocery stores seem to offer a myriad of vegan foods (compared to some smaller Western countries), I am stunned that at the same time, there seem to be so few restaurants in some areas, or places where a veg*n could find a decent meal. Considering the product range of grocery stores, one would think that there is a high demand after all. Isn't it the case that Americans now eat out more than than they cook or eat at home? I just watched a documentary that claimed two thirds of US families (no idea about single and childless people, I guess even more?) never eat a real meal at home sitting around the table, but always pick up something from a fast food chain and usually eat it right on the parking lot, in their cars. I think (hope) they may have exaggerated a bit though.

We have a Country Kitchen, Olive Garden, Applebees, and several steakhouses that are a nightmare to even get a vegan salad. For grocery stores, we have a Wal-Mart and a scary Krogers (everything is always expired and their produce is... questionable). As for special vegan products, I have ricemilk, soymilk, and tofu. I was excited to find EarthBalance the other day. I also just found out we have a health food store, but it's basically just a meat deli that sells vitamins.

I do not think the documentary was exaggerating too much... My family almost never went out to eat, thankfully, but I look at the people around me, and the majority basically live on takeout. It's sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM
SG3

Shoot i'll eat some vegan chicken..Just if KFC brought this to the US...Are they bringing it anytime soon?
#35 Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

How do you say in English - I couldnt care less?

Why should we be worried that KFC etc. take anything off the menu, when the world would be so much better off without fast food chains altogether?

I didn't say eat there, or eat there all the time. I am just saying people should support things like this, and if somebody who is vegetarian wants to go to a fast food place, then this should be available to them as an option. Personally, I probably wouldn't go. Or if I did, it might be once a year, tops. I don't even consider fast food places when eating out.

But the fact is these places are NOT going to go away. People demand cheap, convenient food, and as food prices raise, then if they have to serve mock meats to people to keep them in business, then that's not such a bad thing in my book. In fact, I hope meat prices sky rocket and they are forced to make more things out of mock meats.

There may be a lot of people here who wouldn't eat there either way, but the less real meat they serve makes me

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#36 Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 AM

Excellent article.I knew that a fast food giant would have to come to terms and offer a vegan choice.Thanks to Pamela Anderson and Peta And of course these boards that make a difference.Good Job Folks.
#37 Old 06-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I would never eat in KFC even if they did serve vegan food. They make their money out of horrendous cruelty. I would swallow guilt with every mouthful.

theatre girl x
#38 Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

It'll be a cold day in hell before I give KFC (or PETA, for that matter) a red cent of my hard-earned money. All this means is that the "compassionate meat-eaters" will feel less guilty about eating meat and less likely to go vegan. Congratulations, PETA.
#39 Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Aww, I still wouldn't eat at KFC USA, but come on we have to give KFC CA a little credit for making these changes. In addition to offering vegan options, aren't they also raising the anti-cruelty standards for the chickens they use? We can't ***** about how awful a company is and then be completely negative when they do make some positive changes.

I don't eat fast food often, but when I do, Burger King is my go-to place, and I encourage my omni friends to choose it instead of McDonald's because they have a veggie burger and their fries are vegetarian. Is Burger King a great friend to vegetarians....no, but at least they have something! And yeah, when I lived in California I never had to eat at Burger King, there were tons of vegetarian restaurants. Here, in upstate New York, Subway is the only "restaurant" with vegetarian options, so even though they serve meat I go there a lot.
#40 Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 PM

I think the fact that KFC is offering to put a veggie product on their menu (in any place) it's a great start. I personally an suspicious of fast food restaurant's that serve vegetarian options, especially those that cook using grills or grease.

A few years ago, Burger King began selling Garden Burgers on their menu. That was a great initiative, but the gardenburgers were cooked on the same grill with the meat. Same case with Denny's and other establishments that try to be vegetarian/vegan friendly. Their attempts just do not cut it. That's like the chinese store that cooks it's french fries and spring rolls in the same oil as the fired chicken, fish sticks and chicken nuggets.
#41 Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that people may have ethical concerns with KFC, but I think it's important to look at the big picture.

If KFC offers a vegan chicken option that is well received (meaning: sells well), maybe other fast food places will follow suit and omni's perusing menu's won't find a non meat option so weird and out of place.

We live in a world that many corporations profit off of the suffering of animals, but if non-meat options are visible to omni's we are changing the world in a very direct manner.
#42 Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_1 View Post

A few years ago, Burger King began selling Garden Burgers on their menu. That was a great initiative, but the gardenburgers were cooked on the same grill with the meat.

Every Burger King I've gone to has cooked the veggie burgers in the microwave.
#43 Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think the US arm of KFC will offer the vegan chicken. To them, it would probably be seen as bowing to the "enemy." Yum! has repeatedly stated it refuses to bargain with PETA, and has made several combative statements against the group.

They will not want to add a low-demand item to the menu because it's one of PETA's requests, and they wouldn't want to appear "weak" enough to listen to an activist campaign.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#44 Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

Vegan chicken? From KFC? Are we in bizarro world?

It certainly seems that way!
#45 Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM

Wow. o.o The world has entered the Twilight Zone
#46 Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Beginner

My fiance's little brother worked at Burger King and he said they ALWAYS microwaved the burgers and fried the fries in a separate fryer with only non-meat items. Even he was like, "no, BK realizes it would be pointless to grill veggie burgers on a meat grill." I guess I can't guarantee that no BK tries to grill them, but you can always ask. And mine have always been super rubbery and tough, so I know they're not lying!
#47 Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

It'll be a cold day in hell before I give KFC (or PETA, for that matter) a red cent of my hard-earned money. All this means is that the "compassionate meat-eaters" will feel less guilty about eating meat and less likely to go vegan. Congratulations, PETA.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
#48 Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 PM

Yeah I still won't step a foot in KFC for personal and religious reasons
#49 Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

Oh lookie, Peta sold out the animals again. Poor chickens.

I'd never give any kind of support to KFC, or any other animal-based fast food enterprise and I sincerely hope others don't either.

Although its great that people like you and me know that feeling animals are wrong, most people will never give it up. At least PETA is making an effort in trying to end some of the suffering for the animals.
#50 Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

As much as I really appreciate people not wanting to give money to a corporation like YUM, I will NEVER understand the when vegetarians/vegans complain that these places don't offer food they can eat and the corporation responds by offering something they can eat then they say, GREAT! But I still won't eat there.

Then the stuff won't sell, and they will take it off the menu. Or you could go there, show your support for that product ONLY, and maybe they will get the hint and offer MORE.

If the KFC near me offered this in a wrap, you bet your bottom dollar I'd go. At least once in a while. Sure I would. I believe in supporting what I like with money in my pocket. Might YUM use my money in ways I don't agree with? They might, but then again, if you worried yourself with every dollar you spent at places and where it ended up, you'd never buy stuff again.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!
#51 Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

so does 1 veg*n item make up for 850 million tortured lives????? F KFC and every thing they stand for. I can't even drive by the place with out wanting to hurl. Personally, supporting them in anyway is a total sell out.
#52 Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

for you, maybe, but not all of us went veg*n because we hated KFC or animal cruelty.
#53 Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefactor View Post

for you, maybe, but not all of us went veg*n because we hated KFC or animal cruelty.

hence "personally"
#54 Old 07-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I still wouldnt step a foot in KFC because it smells real bad and plus I can never imagine KFC being vegeterian over here
#55 Old 07-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAshley View Post

Although its great that people like you and me know that feeling animals are wrong, most people will never give it up. At least PETA is making an effort in trying to end some of the suffering for the animals.

Is it any wonder that most people will 'never give it up' when organisations like PETA parading around as AR groups send the message to the public that it's acceptable to use animals, providing it's done according to strict welfare laws?

I don't support anyone that is trying to end some suffering. I want to end it all.
#56 Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
providing it's done according to strict welfare laws?

The welfare laws KFC has adopted aren't even strict. They encourage, but not require, their slaughterhouses to adopt "more humane" killing practices - practices which are, of course, not humane at all. It's basically the same as doing nothing and getting free advertising for it. The only real implication any of this has is that KFC will make more money and people will have less motivation to go vegan. My joy is limitless. /sarcasm
#57 Old 07-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

The welfare laws KFC has adopted aren't even strict. They encourage, but not require, their slaughterhouses to adopt "more humane" killing practices - practices which are, of course, not humane at all. It's basically the same as doing nothing and getting free advertising for it. The only real implication any of this has is that KFC will make more money and people will have less motivation to go vegan. My joy is limitless. /sarcasm

Don't ya just love PETA?
#58 Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

Don't ya just love PETA?

They give me the warm fuzzies, can't you tell?
#59 Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Beginner

You can put me in the vote for "That's nice but I'm still not eating there."

1. You can smell the greasy disgusting chicken parts frying from a mile away.

2. You can smell the greasy disgusting chicken parts frying from a mile away.

3. We should be spending our money elsewhere. Really? A vegan chicken sandwich? And it's probably like 4 bucks, which you can probably buy a box of chicken free patties for somewhere and make your own, just as yummy without the guilt of stepping into a KFC.

Atleast it will make things easier for Omni's to try or maybe to be thoughtful to buy something for their vegan friends, so I do think it's a good step, but if you're a vegan for ethical reasons, I couldn't justify going to KFC for anything.

I've had the veggie burger from Burger King, I thought it was vegan, turns out it's not. I decided it's really not even worth the risk. I'll get a pack of veggie burgers for the same price and hook it up when I get home, really it takes about the same amount of time as it does when you have to wait in the drive thru anyway.

Fast food = evil. We should all try to avoid it as much as possible.

I heard a commercial for McDonalds the other day talking about 3 sandwiches for 3 bucks or whatever and it made me sick. If their supply is up so high that they can offer so much meat for such a small price than they've got a surplus of dead animals on their hands.

There are not many vegan places around here, so I'm trying to get into the habit of ordering what I can't get from the grocery store online. The more we spend on that, the more they offer, the more they offer, the cheaper the price!
#60 Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

You can put me in the vote for "That's nice but I'm still not eating there."

1. You can smell the greasy disgusting chicken parts frying from a mile away.

2. You can smell the greasy disgusting chicken parts frying from a mile away.

3. We should be spending our money elsewhere. Really? A vegan chicken sandwich? And it's probably like 4 bucks, which you can probably buy a box of chicken free patties for somewhere and make your own, just as yummy without the guilt of stepping into a KFC.

The whole point of fast food is convenience.

It's the food you buy when you're out and about. You reason you buy it is so you don't have to go home and start cooking something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page