California Supreme Court rules in favor of Gay Marriage - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/sam...age/index.html

It's a start

I am worried about the backlash, however...

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

shocking -- that they actually ruled in favor that is.
#3 Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in California and was actually surprised by the ruling. Though happy about it. I listen to KGO Newstalk San Francisco a lot. Of coarse it has been the subject most discussed today.

They are already talking about a constitutional amendment on the ballot for November to shoot this down. Why? Why? Why? Some guy actually called in this afternoon to state that this made his marriage devalued and he felt as though his marriage didn't mean as much anymore. That is just pathetic. I almost feel sorry for him.

Yes, the backlash has already started. It's always the same arguments: Next people can marry their dog, marry their mother, multiple partner marriages. blah blah blah. Recruiting our kids. More B.S.

We'll have to wait and she what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay for CA!
#5 Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Yes, the backlash has already started. It's always the same arguments: Next people can marry their dog, marry their mother, multiple partner marriages. blah blah blah. Recruiting our kids. More B.S.

I never have figured out those arguments.... one's between consenting non-related adults (which marriage has always [mostly] been) -- the other's not.
#6 Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

everyone agrees here! This is no fun...

GAY MARRIAGE IS WRONG AND BAD AND SINFUL. GAY PEOPLE WILL MOLEST OUR CHILDREN IF WE LET THEM HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS NORMAL PEOPLE. HOMOSEXUALITY IS AN ABOMINATION AND YOU WILL GO BLIND FROM IT AND IT IS A MENTAL ILLNESS THAT PEOPLE CHOOSE. WRITE TO OUR LORD AND SAVIOR PRESIDENT BUSH AND MAKE HIM SIC THE NRA ON ALL THE GAYS.

There. Now it's Heap-worthy. (Disclaimer, no, I don't think any of the Christians here are like that, but those people DO exist... like gossiping isn't just as much of an abomination as homosexuality? Argh. Crazy Christians drive me nuts, says the Judeo-Christian confused believer).
#7 Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Some guy actually called in this afternoon to state that this made his marriage devalued and he felt as though his marriage didn't mean as much anymore.

I've never understood how anyone or anything could possibly devalue someone else's marriage. That way of thinking has never made any sense to me at all. To say that something that doesn't even apply to you makes your marriage mean less is just plain ignorant.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! This makes me feel happy to live in CA.
#9 Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a christian and I think it's wonderful! I'm a fierce supporter of separation of church and state. Religious matter is for the churches. The state shouldn't care what sex you are if you want to enter into a legal contract.
#10 Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I've never understood how anyone or anything could possibly devalue someone else's marriage. That way of thinking has never made any sense to me at all. To say that something that doesn't even apply to you makes your marriage mean less is just plain ignorant.

The fact that blacks can vote makes me feel like my right to vote as a white chick has been devalued. DEVALUED, I SAY.

What do two people getting married have to do with you, anyways? Some people...
#11 Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay, yay, yay, yay! I have been celebrating all day!
#12 Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Way to go CA!
#13 Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post

Yay, yay, yay, yay! I have been celebrating all day!

What sort of celebrating?
#14 Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Cute pup in you picture Poppy!

Someone called in later to say about what you stated regarding this man's call. He was odd. Had a strange tone to his voice. Kind of creepy. Lots of those types out there though.
#15 Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thrilled to get on my computer this evening and read a news story announcing this!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

cool.
#17 Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I heard about the backlash in the same sentence I heard the news, unfortunately, and that made it slightly less enjoyable, but it's still a step in the right direction.
#18 Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

how two people getting married could possibly upset some people that don't even know them just completely baffles me. "omg, they are of the same sex, that ruins my day!" oh, okay.
#19 Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Really glad to hear about it. I also don't understand why these religious groups think it matters so much. If they are not in a gay marriage, why does it affect them at all? The gays aren't hurting anyone. I'm glad to be a Progressive Jew!

Why was that ridiculous law brought in in 2000, anyway? Just curious as to why it was only made illegal then and not before?
#20 Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I think some people hate the marriage thing because they think it means they'll finally be having sex -- because no one ever has sex out of marriage; so by letting them get married we're letting them have sex!
#21 Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Good. It is a start. As if it should even be a question. It is frustrating that it is even an issue. Of course something has to be an issue. There has to be a way for people to get on a side, to be part of a group by forcing others out of it.
#22 Old 05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Good for CA!!! Sadly Florida has a "marriage amendment" on the ballot this Nov. I sure hope people vote against it! But it is Florida.....

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#23 Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#24 Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 PM

I am so sick of these progressive liberals with their equal rights and justice. How am i supposed to get any work done as a conservative regressive with all these homosexuals always tempting me.
#25 Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm happy! I support gay marriage 100%. George Carlin had a really funny skit saying that Christians and Gay people should be natural allies... who has less abortions than gay people?

This whole skit is one of my favs, but the part that fits this conversation is at 7:33 .

[youtube]MrXvDXVhqfU[/youtube]

Chickens are decent people
#26 Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

.....Christians and Gay people should be natural allies... who has less unplanned pregnancies than gay people?...

#27 Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Voters will decide on gay marriage

By Jack Leonard, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 3, 2008

Setting the stage for a political showdown, the California secretary of state today said an initiative barring gay marriage had enough signatures to qualify for the Nov. 4 ballot.

The proposal would amend the state Constitution to define marriage as a union "between a man and a woman" and undo last month's historic California Supreme Court ruling, which found that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation was unconstitutional.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-am...tory?track=rss

*this space not for sale*
#28 Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

It's about time!

Gay marriage has been legal in Canada since 2005 (and is legal in some other countries, and I believe in some states in the US). Let me assure you, nothing happened, there was no downfall of civilization, people haven't started marrying their dogs, people valued their marriages just the same.

Sheesh. Some people.
#29 Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

It's about time!

Gay marriage has been legal in Canada since 2005 (and is legal in some other countries, and I believe in some states in the US). Let me assure you, nothing happened, there was no downfall of civilization, people haven't started marrying their dogs, people valued their marriages just the same.

Sheesh. Some people.

The downfall won't happen till polygamy is widely practiced
#30 Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Voters will decide on gay marriage

By Jack Leonard, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 3, 2008

Setting the stage for a political showdown, the California secretary of state today said an initiative barring gay marriage had enough signatures to qualify for the Nov. 4 ballot.

The proposal would amend the state Constitution to define marriage as a union "between a man and a woman" and undo last month's historic California Supreme Court ruling, which found that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation was unconstitutional.

I don't really understand under what premise they are trying to ban gay marriage. Isn't the government's job to protect us and not dictate what is (im)moral?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page