Violent Video Games - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
panthera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 486
The hunting thread made me think of this discussion I had in another forum. I was surprised at the reactions there. I searched here and saw a thread on violence in the media. This is different because the very point is to encourage a player to act out gratuitous violence.



Most players of violent video games will not repeat the kind of over-the-top violent acts that they practice in the fantasy realms of the games. Yet there is no denying that the neural associations are created and reinforced time and again. Each time a pattern of firing in the brain cells is repeated, it is strengthened. It's easier for the neurotransmitters to find the receptors on certain dendrites because more of them are either created or turned on (I'm not sure which it is). Knowing whether you're dealing with fantasy or reality is probably something that requires your cerebral cortext, while these other pathways go straight from your thalamus to the reward center.



Even if you're not thinking in terms of neurochemistry, consider a parallel situation. Let's say all these players are playing games involving rape, and getting points for raping more women, in increasing violent ways. Clearly this is not reality, it's fantasy and fiction. Do you feel comfortable knowing that so many young boys, perhaps your sons, and frustrated older men, some of whom are those "loners" who haven't learned to deal with feeling alienated and powerless, are spending hours playing these games?



Sure, it's not something you're going to outlaw simply because some players might be reinforced in their already existing tendency to commit atrocities. And it's hard to tell whether some of the players, when reacting to annoying women in their lives, don't just think "what a *****" but maybe "what a *****; someone should teach her a lesson."



But would you think I'm justified in my consternation in this situation? If so, what's the difference?
panthera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I'm about to go to bed, but I wanted to say really quick (I'll come back) that I did a research paper on violence in the media (twice actually, one in high school, one in college) and while it can't be proven, studies has strongly linked violent media to violent kids.



Ok, I'll be back tomorrow... today actually, it's early in the AM.
danakscully64 is offline  
#3 Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthera View Post

The hunting thread made me think of this discussion I had in another forum. I was surprised at the reactions there. I searched here and saw a thread on violence in the media. This is different because the very point is to encourage a player to act out gratuitous violence.



Most players of violent video games will not repeat the kind of over-the-top violent acts that they practice in the fantasy realms of the games. Yet there is no denying that the neural associations are created and reinforced time and again. Each time a pattern of firing in the brain cells is repeated, it is strengthened. It's easier for the neurotransmitters to find the receptors on certain dendrites because more of them are either created or turned on (I'm not sure which it is). Knowing whether you're dealing with fantasy or reality is probably something that requires your cerebral cortext, while these other pathways go straight from your thalamus to the reward center.



Even if you're not thinking in terms of neurochemistry, consider a parallel situation. Let's say all these players are playing games involving rape, and getting points for raping more women, in increasing violent ways. Clearly this is not reality, it's fantasy and fiction. Do you feel comfortable knowing that so many young boys, perhaps your sons, and frustrated older men, some of whom are those "loners" who haven't learned to deal with feeling alienated and powerless, are spending hours playing these games?



Sure, it's not something you're going to outlaw simply because some players might be reinforced in their already existing tendency to commit atrocities. And it's hard to tell whether some of the players, when reacting to annoying women in their lives, don't just think "what a *****" but maybe "what a *****; someone should teach her a lesson."

But would you think I'm justified in my consternation in this situation? If so, what's the difference?





im not really sure what your stand point on it is your kind of vauge about it. I gew up playing video games and i still play. While I admit that the gmaes now are alot more violent than pacman and asteroids I still dont think that they are a contributing factor in real life violence. I think TV,movies,video games are just a scapegoat for parents and society to blame for their own failings. Id also like to know why you automaticly turn it into male violence agenst females?
guinnesshero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
No, I don't think you are entirely justified. You have a few valid points I think you are being a tad sexist, if anything. Why just men? Almost half of gamers are female. Why just kids? (Referring to the "violent kids" post). The current majority of gamers are between 18 and 30. I also think it's offensive and ignorant to portray gamers as "young boys", "frustrated older men" and "loners". Stereotype, much?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#5 Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthera View Post

The hunting thread made me think of this discussion I had in another forum. I was surprised at the reactions there. I searched here and saw a thread on violence in the media. This is different because the very point is to encourage a player to act out gratuitous violence.



Most players of violent video games will not repeat the kind of over-the-top violent acts that they practice in the fantasy realms of the games. Yet there is no denying that the neural associations are created and reinforced time and again. Each time a pattern of firing in the brain cells is repeated, it is strengthened. It's easier for the neurotransmitters to find the receptors on certain dendrites because more of them are either created or turned on (I'm not sure which it is). Knowing whether you're dealing with fantasy or reality is probably something that requires your cerebral cortext, while these other pathways go straight from your thalamus to the reward center.



Even if you're not thinking in terms of neurochemistry, consider a parallel situation. Let's say all these players are playing games involving rape, and getting points for raping more women, in increasing violent ways. Clearly this is not reality, it's fantasy and fiction. Do you feel comfortable knowing that so many young boys, perhaps your sons, and frustrated older men, some of whom are those "loners" who haven't learned to deal with feeling alienated and powerless, are spending hours playing these games?



Sure, it's not something you're going to outlaw simply because some players might be reinforced in their already existing tendency to commit atrocities. And it's hard to tell whether some of the players, when reacting to annoying women in their lives, don't just think "what a *****" but maybe "what a *****; someone should teach her a lesson."



But would you think I'm justified in my consternation in this situation? If so, what's the difference?



I just read your thread a little more closely I admit I scimmed the first time. WHat game is there where yuo rape women? So now were makeing up hypthetical games for anti-video game rederick? Its this kind of biased crap that is hurting the gaming industry.Oh yea and im 34 years old married with a child. I go to work everyday and work 50+ hours a week(I dont live with my parents) I come home Spend time with my wife and child and when I have spare time I play world of warcraft. My wife plays also.I dont ignore either of them. I have friends so im not an outcast and im very well adjusted.
guinnesshero is offline  
#6 Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,489
i was just about to ask what game it is that has rape in it.
jenna is offline  
#7 Old 05-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I think it was just an example.
danakscully64 is offline  
#8 Old 05-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
panthera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 486
I'm saying, why can't you use the same logic, applied to a different scenario. It's just acting out fantasies of violence that most people would not repeat in real life. But I find it alarming that people of any sort are stimulating the reward centers of their brains by pretending to hurt others.
panthera is offline  
#9 Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Yeah, just like the examples of gamers being frustrated old male loners. 'Cause, you know, normal females would never be gamers.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#10 Old 05-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
I can think of at least one Hentai game that has rape or at least molestation. No, I'm not telling you it's name or linking to it, but they exist. Everything sick and warped seems to live on the internet somewhere.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i was just about to ask what game it is that has rape in it.


Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#11 Old 05-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
panthera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 486
my only reason for including those is to point out that not everybody who plays those games is coming from a standpoint of "healthy self-esteem."



We could completely eliminate those parts of it, though, to concentrate on my main point. Completely eliminate them. I don't care.
panthera is offline  
#12 Old 05-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I can think of at least one Hentai game that has rape or at least molestation. No, I'm not telling you it's name or linking to it, but they exist. Everything sick and warped seems to live on the internet somewhere.



I dont consider a flash game made by some second rate out of work programer as being part of the gaming industry.
guinnesshero is offline  
#13 Old 05-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthera View Post

my only reason for including those is to point out that not everybody who plays those games is coming from a standpoint of "healthy self-esteem."



We could completely eliminate those parts of it, though, to concentrate on my main point. Completely eliminate them. I don't care.





your point that games make men perpertrate violent acts on innocent unsuspecting women? give me a break
guinnesshero is offline  
#14 Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
I only play


"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#15 Old 05-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthera View Post

my only reason for including those is to point out that not everybody who plays those games is coming from a standpoint of "healthy self-esteem."



We could completely eliminate those parts of it, though, to concentrate on my main point. Completely eliminate them. I don't care.



Soo.. just because a tiny portion of the gaming population is a frustrated older male loner we need to ban them all? Sometimes older, frustrated male loner go to shoot-em-up movies, guess we should ban them, too. Right? Why are you targeting only men with this?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#16 Old 05-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Soo.. just because a tiny portion of the gaming population is a frustrated older male loner we need to ban them all? Sometimes older, frustrated male loner go to shoot-em-up movies, guess we should ban them, too. Right? Why are you targeting only men with this?





becasue women dont fit into her ban the games argument. dont you know "older frustrated male loners" are going to be the downfall of civilization as we know it.
guinnesshero is offline  
#17 Old 05-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

WHat game is there where yuo rape women?



as far as i know theres no game where you can rape someone as rape is commonly understood to mean, but in grand theft auto its possible to pay to have sex with a prostitute, beat her up afterwards and then steal the money back. technically speaking, thats rape.
GhostUser is offline  
#18 Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

as far as i know theres no game where you can rape someone as rape is commonly understood to mean, but in grand theft auto its possible to pay to have sex with a prostitute, beat her up afterwards and then steal the money back. technically speaking, thats rape.



And I know females that play that game. But thats ok becasue they aren't "older frustrated loner males"
guinnesshero is offline  
#19 Old 05-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

And I know females that play that game. But thats ok becasue they aren't "older frustrated loner males"



just cuz you know women that play it, does that make it right?
GhostUser is offline  
#20 Old 05-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Man, I want Grand Theft Auto IV but that would mean buying a Playstation III, and I'm not doing that because I need to save the money for other things. (Yeah, I know it's out on XBox, too, but I really want the Playstation.) I doubt I would beat up prostitutes but I'd definitely shoot people and steal cars. Yeah!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#21 Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Man, I want Grand Theft Auto IV but that would mean buying a Playstation III, and I'm not doing that because I need to save the money for other things. (Yeah, I know it's out on XBox, too, but I really want the Playstation.) I doubt I would beat up prostitutes but I'd definitely shoot people and steal cars. Yeah!



lol im getting it on 360 this weekend
guinnesshero is offline  
#22 Old 05-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

just cuz you know women that play it, does that make it right?



Its a game. I have also played Mario cart. Does that mean im going to drive down the road slaming into other drivers and running them off the road while throwing things like banana peels out the window at them.
guinnesshero is offline  
#23 Old 05-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
I've been playing video games for 20 years. I am not violent or aggressive. Very few of the people I know who play video games are either of those; in fact, the ones I do know that are violent primarily play sports related video games and not ones involving killing. Take that Actually come to think of it, I believe sports encourage violence far more than video games... Or violent people are more drawn to them. Go sample some populations... I bet you'll find that to be the result.



Anyway, currently the majority of video game players are males between 24-40. Most games made are now aimed at this demographic. Legally, M (mature) rated games (the ones involving graphic violence) aren't to be sold by children. Of course, most stores don't follow that policy.



The issue here, to me, is more one of bad parenting than it is of blaming any type of media. I work in a second grade and some of the children there are already playing games like Grand Theft Auto; they are 7 and 8 years old. They didn't buy the games. If the game does encourage violence in these children, is it the fault of the game maker? No. The game is rated M and marketed to adults. It's the fault of the parents that supply them and then use video games as babysitting tools because they don't care about their children.



I think it's wrong to point a finger at the media that isn't meant for children. There are plenty of ignorant parents out there that believe video games are for children so you buy them for children, nevermind the big "M" on them.



Adults should be in control of themselves and aware of themselves enough not to be influenced greatly by games. If they are not, it's not just the video game doing it. They've got other issues, and while the games may have encourage their problems, they aren't the heart of it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I can think of at least one Hentai game that has rape or at least molestation.



I think they all do... let's leave warped japanese minds out of this
Waikikamukau is offline  
#24 Old 05-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

I've been playing video games for 20 years. I am not violent or aggressive. Very few of the people I know who play video games are either of those; in fact, the ones I do know that are violent primarily play sports related video games and not ones involving killing. Take that







I ALMOST went with that for my avatar, instead of just Mia's mouth. (10 points to anyone who can spot the reference).



Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Anyway, currently the majority of video game players are males between 24-40. Most games made are now aimed at this demographic.



It's been becoming very close. The majority of hardcore gamers are male, yes, but the majority of casual gamers are female.



http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2006/03/70313



Quote:
Originally Posted by wired article View Post


Casual games have definitely made massive inroads into women's free time. Lisa Sikora, of Microsoft's Casual Games division, says women make up 70 percent of their players -- up from 20 percent in 1996. Industrywide, the Entertainment Software Association reports (.pdf) that women make up 44 percent of online gamers, and that 57 percent of their total play time is spent on casual games -- puzzles, board games, trivia and cards.



And it's not the only article I've read with similar figures. I've read a few articles from using statistics from differing sources, not just MS.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#25 Old 05-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
The majority of hardcore gamers are male, yes, but the majority of casual gamers are female.



pffft you should see my wife play wow. casual my butt.
guinnesshero is offline  
#26 Old 05-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

It's been becoming very close. The majority of hardcore gamers are male, yes, but the majority of casual gamers are female.



I know; but for the sake of this argument, three million women playing bejeweled don't really fit



I'm glad that the stigma is fading, though. Considering it is the number one media for men in the US (it is outselling film, music and porn!) if women could just match that it would be legitimized by the public at large as a valid form of entertainment... Somehow it hasn't been, yet. Which is ridiculous.



Anyway, sorry to interrupt you, feel free to go back to bejeweled.
Waikikamukau is offline  
#27 Old 05-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
^^^
guinnesshero is offline  
#28 Old 05-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

.



Anyway, sorry to interrupt you, feel free to go back to bejeweled.







Bejeweled my big fat arse!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#29 Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post







Oh, now I know where that's from. I really need to buy a DS...



You shouldn't admit to having a fat "arse", though, you're perpetuating the stereotype of the overweight female gamer.
Waikikamukau is offline  
#30 Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Nah.... I have a Mix-a-lot figure. Little in the middle but I've got much back. You have a look look at the chicks in most games, GTA4 for example. They have Mix-a-lot butts or Cosmo butts? Huh? Huh?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off