Candidates on WWE Raw - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously. I think they've all gone mad!

Quote:
Barack Obama, Hillary Rodham Clinton and John McCain will appear on World Wrestling Entertainment's live "Monday Night Raw" (8-11 p.m. EST on cable's USA network) but instead of smacking each other down, they separately will deliver some wrestling-themed stumping in taped messages before Tuesday's Pennsylvania primary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

My personal opinion is that wrestling is one of the signs of the end of the world. Every time my friends watch it I feel my brain slowly dieing off -- I can even predict who will win matches (with about a 80-90% success rate) because it's so obvious, even if I haven't heard it on TV in a long while. As long as your brain can keep you alive, you can understand wrestling.

Nothing against some of the people that watch or like it and all, but from my experience of people that watch it, more people than not think it's real (i.e. no story lines, they actually believe that what they're seeing is completely true) -- and I really don't want them deciding who will be in the white house. I'm actually hoping they stay home.
#3 Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

...from my experience of people that watch it, more people than not think it's real (i.e. no story lines, they actually believe that what they're seeing is completely true) -- and I really don't want them deciding who will be in the white house. I'm actually hoping they stay home.

Funny, I was going to say the same thing about U.S. Elections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

elections and wwe serendipity!
#5 Old 04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

nothing says class act like appearing on WWE
#6 Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

nothing says class act like appearing on WWE

I was going to vote Obama as the least likely person to destroy the country/world but this has me very concerned about his sense of priorities.
#7 Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this on the news yesterday and thought it was hilarious. I said before on this board that Obama sounds almost exactly like the Rock, so I thought it was hilarious that he imitated him. Both candidates appear desperate for more votes.
#8 Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My personal opinion is that wrestling is one of the signs of the end of the world. Every time my friends watch it I feel my brain slowly dieing off -- I can even predict who will win matches (with about a 80-90% success rate) because it's so obvious, even if I haven't heard it on TV in a long while. As long as your brain can keep you alive, you can understand wrestling.

Nothing against some of the people that watch or like it and all, but from my experience of people that watch it, more people than not think it's real (i.e. no story lines, they actually believe that what they're seeing is completely true) -- and I really don't want them deciding who will be in the white house. I'm actually hoping they stay home.

I used to love watching wrestling for years, but don't watch it much anymore especially since most of their programming is on cable anyways. There are jobber matches. It's more designed to help one wrestler and gives the jobber exposure, so I'd say 99.9% of the matches are obvious. Most of today's matches aren't jobber matches, but most feature one wrestler who is very good and the other wrestler not so much. It'll take years for most wrestlers to finally become a Championship contender, so you expect them to lose for the most part in the beginning. Most matches are predictable, but it's the changing storylines that keep people watching. Even the context of a match can be predictable. The heel(bad guy) loses in the beginning, cheats, takes over for the body of the match, and the baby face(good guy) has a big comeback at the end. It definitely is predictable in that way. During the 1990's, they catered towards a young audience. Obviously today they cater towards teenagers and adults more than anybody, and that is a large majority of the people who watch it. When tragedies have happened, they've moved away from storylines, so I think a very, very large majority of the people who watch it realize it's not real. They tried to cover that up for years but they don't do that anymore.
#9 Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

....When tragedies have happened, they've moved away from storylines, so I think a very, very large majority of the people who watch it realize it's not real. They tried to cover that up for years but they don't do that anymore.

I think a number of people haven't got the memo to that yet Or my town's filled with idiots. Or both

Something about watching a show, that you know how it's going to go down, kind of defeats the purpose of watching to me.
#10 Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think a number of people haven't got the memo to that yet Or my town's filled with idiots. Or both

Something about watching a show, that you know how it's going to go down, kind of defeats the purpose of watching to me.

It's similar to television shows. You know what's going to happen in the previews, but you don't know how the storyline will unfold so people watch.
#11 Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's similar to television shows. You know what's going to happen in the previews, but you don't know how the storyline will unfold so people watch.

Well you have an idea.... but with wrestling you know what's going to happen, how it's going to end, and pretty much what "surprises" are going to happen -- as well as what moves are going to be used. [My friends know which wrestler (company person, etc) is going to "unexpectedly" show up to cause problems -- just by knowing one of the wrestlers in a match.] That's like watching a 20 minute preview of an hour episode [45min total of show] (with the beginning, middle and end all included) - then watching the full episode.

Maybe everyone isn't as good as they are at it (they've been watching it since.... well, probably the beginning).
#12 Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Since my DH is a big wrestling fan, he TiVOs all the wrestling shows. I breifly viewed the speech by Hilary and John McCain...both were painful.
#13 Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish they would show some use of physical force to honor the spirit of WWE. They could have McCain break a paper cup (after three hours of failed attempts).

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that is some pathetic pandering. So worried about the blue collar vote that they'll do something like this... How about just arguing for your position on real issues? Oh right, no one takes a stance on anything anymore because that isn't middle america enough, you just have to convince everyone you're the most likable candidate.
#15 Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I wish they would show some use of physical force to honor the spirit of WWE. They could have McCain break a paper cup (after three hours of failed attempts).

I would much rather see someone bodyslam hillary
#16 Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well you have an idea.... but with wrestling you know what's going to happen, how it's going to end, and pretty much what "surprises" are going to happen -- as well as what moves are going to be used. [My friends know which wrestler (company person, etc) is going to "unexpectedly" show up to cause problems -- just by knowing one of the wrestlers in a match.] That's like watching a 20 minute preview of an hour episode [45min total of show] (with the beginning, middle and end all included) - then watching the full episode.

Maybe everyone isn't as good as they are at it (they've been watching it since.... well, probably the beginning).

It may be a bit predictable, so certainly not to that degree. I have done well with guessing at times, but there are many, many instances where they surprise people. Nobody would watch it if it was that predictable.
#17 Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Nobody would watch it if it was that predictable.

I'm pretty sure they'd want to keep watching sweaty naked men call each other doo-doo heads and then rub their bodies together and glare at each other lovingly even if they gave the whole plot away at the beginning of the show.
#18 Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

I'm pretty sure they'd want to keep watching sweaty naked men call each other doo-doo heads and then rub their bodies together and glare at each other lovingly even if they gave the whole plot away at the beginning of the show.

Since when do they wrestle naked?

Firstly its entertainment, and most times pretty dang funny. I perfer UFC or WEC, but when I do catch the WWE I am usually cracking up. And the Divas are not bad to look at either. But with the rating thats Monday Night Raw pulls down it is very logical for the candidates to go on the show to spread the message. It seems that they all wanted to imitate a wrestler that hasn't wrestled in a good 3-5 years though.
#19 Old 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's the John McCain speech

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k8XkIeTz-NU

Hilary and Obama were very dry, and boring. McCain at least got into the spirit of WWE....though it still just as ridiculous.
#20 Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM

If there were actually a cage match in November, I'd vote for the winner.
#21 Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It may be a bit predictable, so certainly not to that degree. I have done well with guessing at times, but there are many, many instances where they surprise people. Nobody would watch it if it was that predictable.

It is to them Probably one of the reasons they only half-pay attention to it anymore (they play cards and other things during it, with the tv being background noise more than anything -- they used to watch every second with no distractions). Even I, not watching it but listening when we're doing cards, know what's going to happen (give or take) based on the pre-match comments.

But then, we also find most of TV predictable as well. I've gotten the ending of a movie right (give or take a bit, like almost entirely right) from under 5 minutes of the beginning.
#22 Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

I would much rather see someone bodyslam hillary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page