Polygamy - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I disagree - we would be better off identifying what the threat is and using other emotions and our problem solving skills to fix serious problems. The anger itself accomplishes nothing.

The anger accomplishes exactly what I just bolded. Then, once recognized, you say "okay, what can I do about this?" and that's where other emotions come into play. You don't feed the anger, it's just a cue.

Proper use of emotions. That's all I'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Why would you need anger to identify a threat?
#93 Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is how it works. You get in a frustrating situation, you get angry. You work through that emotion, fully analyzing it and figuring it out, and then you don't feel it anymore. After this has been done many times, you start to feel less anger, less often. Eventually, these frustrating situations no longer make you angry. Hence the emotion has been 'destroyed'. I think that sounds healthy - not mean and denial-y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Because if we did not feel anger we would not act on injustices, whether to ourselves or others. Sitting back and watching a wrong perpetrated against oneself or against another, while just feeling love and joy in the watching, or to even just sit back and feel nothing at all - where would that get us in life?

Why do we feel anger if it is a useless emotion? Would it not have been bred out of all mammals by now if it was solely a harmful thing?

I think nookle is the Vulcan here, not Waiki

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#95 Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I think this is how it works. You get in a frustrating situation, you get angry. You work through that emotion, fully analyzing it and figuring it out, and then you don't feel it anymore. After this has been done many times, you start to feel less anger, less often. Eventually, these frustrating situations no longer make you angry. Hence the emotion has been 'destroyed'. I think that sounds healthy - not mean and denial-y.

Man! There is a Red Dwarf episode I so have to get you to watch, where members of the crew lose their ability to feel certain emotions, like anger. It's good.

#96 Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously - I am not endorsing not feeling any emotion! I think that there are constructive replacements to anger - particularly in the majority of situations in which we feel them. I am not saying we should be drones.

And I think you can act on injustices without feeling anger - you can know and recognize and feel something to be wrong without being angry about it - and again - the anger does not allow you to accomplish more than you would without it.

Quote:
Why do we feel anger if it is a useless emotion? Would it not have been bred out of all mammals by now if it was solely a harmful thing?

Really? Does everything we feel and do and have and think have a use? I don't think it does. And because we needed it or used it at some point in evolutionary history, it does not follow that it's equally as useful or good or beneficial or even necessary today..... Hmm... this argument sounds familiar.
#97 Old 05-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

To lighten up, here is a nice clip about getting rid of "negative" emotions, anger, fear, pride, vanity and guilt. The back story: Crew members displayed all these negative emotions to the point of, well, disaster. They are sucked out of them by a killer polymorphic life form. The crew must find a way to kill the life form or be killed themselves.

(For those people who can't play it embedded here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgUktfdDy4)

[youtube]5WgUktfdDy4[/youtube]

#98 Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember that one! Man I haven't seen that show in years... The video is gone from youtube, though You lose!

Here, I'm just going to quote wikipedia on anger. I spent years studying psychology in school, this isn't just some wikipediaism. it's the modern psychological view.

Quote:

Modern Psychology

Anger is viewed as a natural and healthy response that has evolved to enable us to deal with threats.[4] Three types of anger are recognized by psychologists: The first form of anger, named "hasty and sudden anger" by Joseph Butler, an 18th century Engish bishop, is connected to the impulse for self-preservation. It is shared between humans and animals and occurs when tormented or trapped. The second type of anger is named "settled and deliberate" anger is a reaction to perceived deliberate harm doing or unfair treatment by others. These two forms anger are episodic. The third type of anger is however dispositional and is related more to character traits than to instincts or cognitions. Irritability, sullenness and churlishness postures are examples of the last form of anger.[14]

Anger can potentially mobilize psychological resources and boost determination toward correction of wrong behaviors, promotion of social justice, communication of negative sentiment and redress of grievances. It can also facilitate patience. On the other hand, anger can be destructive when it does not find its appropriate outlet in expression. Anger, in its strong form, impairs one's ability to process information and to exert cognitive control over his behavior. An angry person may lose his objectivity, empathy, prudence or thoughtfulness and may cause harm to others.[6]

There is a sharp distinction between anger and aggression (verbal or physical, direct or indirect) even though they mutually influence each other. While anger can activate aggression or increase its probability or intensity, it is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for anger.[6]

#99 Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

WTF??? I just watched it two seconds ago! Let me fix that....

Works for me....

[youtube]Irt18dhFhHw[/youtube]

A longer one, you have to start at about 1:57 for the angerless meeting about self defence.

#100 Old 05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Can we try to focus this back on polygamy? Thanks!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#101 Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

We're actually play acting a polygamous arrangement here; the issue that arises when two of the three partners come into conflict with the third and the inherent difficulty with then keeping things reasonable, manageable, equal and finding a good resolution.
#102 Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Hmm, I've certainly felt a bit of lust many times in my life. If I tried to go after that feeling every time I'd probably have a lot of diseases! We don't have to act on everything we feel! Hell, being "civilized" is all about not acting on a lot of emotions. Rage, for example... I'm sure we all know people (and some of you may be this type) who go insane over minor traffic problems. Would you say it's a good thing for them to act on that rage?

There was nothing in my post that you quoted that suggested anything about acting on feelings, I just said that we shouldn't try to deny that we feel them.....acknowledging a feeling doesn't mean that we have to act on it..... I actually agree with you in that we have to make sure that we channel the emotion correctly.

Quote:
If I tried to go after that feeling every time I'd probably have a lot of diseases!

No you wouldn't because you'd have been wearing a condom...right?
#103 Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Ahh okay, I thought you were suggesting that people should play bunnies with anyone they think is cute. Gotcha! I agree, emotions shouldn't be denied; that isn't healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

No you wouldn't because you'd have been wearing a condom...right?

Well, I could say that a condom isn't always effective, yadda yadda... But when I was a teenager and still drinking and kinda stupid, if I had decided to act on that all the time and hit on anyone I was attracted to? Hm, probably not. Thank goodness I had some control still.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page