Bashing flexitarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Vegan Police Officer
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,211
A moderator invited us to come to the heap to bash flexitarians, if we wanted to.



I'll start:



Diana is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
WonderRandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,591

Nec Aspera Terrent
WonderRandy is offline  
#3 Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
As I posted in the original thread , I think flexitarian is a thoroughly rediculous term. I liked it for about 2 days after deciding to try vegetarianism since I wasn't sure i'd be able to cut out all meat. After reading more (and finding VB) I realized that it's a totally useless word and hope fervently that it never makes it into the dictionary.
gillibean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

A moderator invited us to come to the heap to bash flexitarians, if we wanted to.

Where?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#5 Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
Be careful; I've read that flexing a lot is actually an effective way to tone and increase muscle mass! You wouldn't want to get on his bad side if he's that ripped.



Wait, a flexitarian is someone that flexes a lot, right? Otherwise that term wouldn't make any sense!
Waikikamukau is offline  
#6 Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Be careful; I've read that flexing a lot is actually an effective way to tone and increase muscle mass! You wouldn't want to get on his bad side if he's that ripped.



Wait, a flexitarian is someone that flexes a lot, right? Otherwise that term wouldn't make any sense!



You made me choke on my soda!



Sevenseas, wonderrandy posted the invitation when closing the original thread.
gillibean is offline  
#7 Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
WonderRandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,591
Personally, I don't bash flexitarians. I don't bash Omnivores either.



I'm not nearly self-righteous enough to dictate how others should eat.

Nec Aspera Terrent
WonderRandy is offline  
#8 Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

You made me choke on my soda!



Sevenseas, wonderrandy posted the invitation when closing the original thread.

Ah yes, in the Food discussion forum.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#9 Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
How about flexi-bashing them? You know, saying that normally flexitarianism is a ridiculous notion, but occasionally it makes a little sense?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#10 Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Personally, I don't bash flexitarians. I don't bash Omnivores either.



I'm not nearly self-righteous enough to dictate how others should eat.



I'm not dictating. They can eat whatever they want. I just don't think flexitarian is, in anyway, a reasonable term.
gillibean is offline  
#11 Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
I don't know - I think the term "flexitarian" is silly, but I didn't feel so totally negative towards that poster. They just seemed to be a committed animal welfarist, which is the same as many on here who eat dairy and eggs (but shun meat), which is also a welfarist stance. Was it their attitude that irritated people so much?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#12 Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I'm not nearly self-righteous enough to dictate how others should eat.



Well that's the age-old (on here) "personal choice" vs. "moral imperative" issue.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#13 Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I don't know - I think the term "flexitarian" is silly, but I didn't feel so totally negative towards that poster. They just seemed to be a committed animal welfarist, which is the same as many on here who eat dairy and eggs (but shun meat), which is also a welfarist stance. Was it their attitude that irritated people so much?



I don't know about others but personally it was the attitude that vegetarian is a subjective term and people who use the dictionary definition are being overly strict and judgmental of others who wish to use a more subjective definition. The poster seems to be an animal welfarist and feels guilty about battery cage eggs yet has no problem eating meat sometimes. That bugged me more than anything.
gillibean is offline  
#14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I don't know about others but personally it was the attitude that vegetarian is a subjective term and people who use the dictionary definition are being overly strict and judgmental of others who wish to use a more subjective definition.



O.k. That does tend to cause irritation to vegetarians and vegans here.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#15 Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,482
Personally , I think this thread is ridicules .
bluegold is offline  
#16 Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
I think labels are silly. All of them.



--Fromper

Fromper is offline  
#17 Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
*gently steps waay out on a limb*



I'm not trying to get anyone in a upraor but.... how is that person allowed to post here and is not banned? This person has shown no intest in excluding meat in their diet, and they just promoted meat eating as fine... on occasion. I undertand that this person is an "established member" but isn't this against The Rules?
Beachbnny is offline  
#18 Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

*gently steps waay out on a limb*



I'm not trying to get anyone in a upraor but.... how is that person allowed to post here and is not banned? This person has shown no intest in excluding meat in their diet, and they just promoted meat eating as fine... on occasion. I undertand that this person is an "established member" but isn't this against The Rules?

*gos to search for the grandfather to identify his grandchild*

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#19 Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

*gos to search for the grandfather to identify his grandchild*



I don't think he had anything to do with this. This person is too new to be any of his grandkids
Beachbnny is offline  
#20 Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

*gently steps waay out on a limb*



I'm not trying to get anyone in a upraor but.... how is that person allowed to post here and is not banned? This person has shown no intest in excluding meat in their diet, and they just promoted meat eating as fine... on occasion. I undertand that this person is an "established member" but isn't this against The Rules?



:steps gently out on limb with beachbunny:



Honestly I was kind wondering that myself. The mods apparently don't seem have an issue with it though. :shrugs:
gillibean is offline  
#21 Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
If we're stepping onto that limb we might as well break it



He's posting promoting meat eating and is allowed to advertise a forum that promotes it as well



When there were google ads about meat they were removed, and those were making the site money. Why is it okay for a user to come here and promote their meat eating?



"Pro-meat/hunting/etc debate (will result in an immediate ban)"
Waikikamukau is offline  
#22 Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
WonderRandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

*gently steps waay out on a limb*



I'm not trying to get anyone in a upraor but.... how is that person allowed to post here and is not banned? This person has shown no intest in excluding meat in their diet, and they just promoted meat eating as fine... on occasion. I undertand that this person is an "established member" but isn't this against The Rules?



The Rules state: "VeggieBoards is a forum for people who are A) vegetarian or B) have a sincere interest in going vegetarian." It can easily be argued that someone who has omitted MOST meat from their diet has a "sincere interest in going vegetarian". They did NOT promote meat eating as "fine", they agreed that vegetarianism is an ideal worth working towards. They simply don't claim to be perfect, or terribly uptight about it.



We have members who firmly believe that vegans can eat gelatin. should they be banned?



We have members who admit to eating shellfish on occasion. should they be banned?



We have members who are more veg*n than other members. Who stays and who goes?

Nec Aspera Terrent
WonderRandy is offline  
#23 Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

If we're stepping onto that limb we might as well break it



*snap goes the limb*



I just want to be careful that it's not a witch hunt or a group mob scene here. If this person were open to change, I'd be super supportive cause I love some me some newbies! I'm just genuinely questioning this, as I assume we all are, with good intentions.
Beachbnny is offline  
#24 Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
*inflates large airbag to break everyone's fall*
karenlovessnow is offline  
#25 Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I'm just genuinely questioning this, as I assume we all are, with good intentions.



Hell, I am too. I support someone that makes any change to reduce the amount of animals they use as products. It was his insults towards vegetarians and vegetarianism that bugged me.



"But we don't restrict ourselves to the point where we almost religiously and fervently kick ourselves for having one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us!"
Waikikamukau is offline  
#26 Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

The Rules state: "VeggieBoards is a forum for people who are A) vegetarian or B) have a sincere interest in going vegetarian." It can easily be argued that someone who has omitted MOST meat from their diet has a "sincere interest in going vegetarian". They did NOT promote meat eating as "fine", they agreed that vegetarianism is an ideal worth working towards. They simply don't claim to be perfect, or terribly uptight about it.



We have members who firmly believe that vegans can eat gelatin. should they be banned?



We have members who admit to eating shellfish on occasion. should they be banned?



We have members who are more veg*n than other members. Who stays and who goes?



OK you're right, Randy, I'm sorry! Point taken and it's not up to me. I understand that it's a fine line and not an easy job to try and figure all that stuff out. I have my feelings about it but that's moot. Again, I'm sorry
Beachbnny is offline  
#27 Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

"But we don't restrict ourselves to the point where we almost religiously and fervently kick ourselves for having one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us!"



Oh yeah, this probably isn't his/her place if they want to share those values. If you purposely drop your vegetarianism just because you're getting a free takeout lunch out of it, that's such a flimsy commitment to vegetarianism that you should probably just claim the title of omnivore. The vast majority of places serve factory farmed meat too, which kind of throws out the welfare argument.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#28 Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Hell, I am too. I support someone that makes any change to reduce the amount of animals they use as products. It was his insults towards vegetarians and vegetarianism that bugged me.



"But we don't restrict ourselves to the point where we almost religiously and fervently kick ourselves for having one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us!"



I understand that but Randy is right. Where do we draw the line? And really, that "we" doesn't include me. I love this place and am thankful that it's up and running and I'm as well sheltered from meat-eaters here as I am. I interpreted the post much the same as you (and then some) but it's not up to me to decide that stuff.



If this "flexatarian" thing were a real label (which I consider it to be bunk), my Husband would be one as would my Parents. Though they cetainly don't accept or use that term. They've reduced the amount of animals they eat, which is great, but that does not make it appropriate for them to be considered "vegetarians".... or, in my oh so humble opinion, for them to join a vegetarian supportive community.



And BTW- I totally love your SN. Took me a few times of seeing it and pronouncing it slowly in my mind to figure it out. Cute!
Beachbnny is offline  
#29 Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Waikikamukau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

And BTW- I totally love your SN. Took me a few times of seeing it and pronouncing it slowly in my mind to figure it out. Cute!



I can't take credit for it; it's the word used for fictional/small middle of nowhere towns in New Zealand. I borrowed the term, and I think it's a great one for a veg*n site.
Waikikamukau is offline  
#30 Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I don't know about others but personally it was the attitude that vegetarian is a subjective term and people who use the dictionary definition are being overly strict and judgmental of others who wish to use a more subjective definition.



That sounds like a honey thread!
thalestral is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off