Bashing flexitarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Vegan Police Officer

A moderator invited us to come to the heap to bash flexitarians, if we wanted to.

I'll start:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

As I posted in the original thread , I think flexitarian is a thoroughly rediculous term. I liked it for about 2 days after deciding to try vegetarianism since I wasn't sure i'd be able to cut out all meat. After reading more (and finding VB) I realized that it's a totally useless word and hope fervently that it never makes it into the dictionary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

A moderator invited us to come to the heap to bash flexitarians, if we wanted to.

Where?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Be careful; I've read that flexing a lot is actually an effective way to tone and increase muscle mass! You wouldn't want to get on his bad side if he's that ripped.

Wait, a flexitarian is someone that flexes a lot, right? Otherwise that term wouldn't make any sense!
#6 Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Be careful; I've read that flexing a lot is actually an effective way to tone and increase muscle mass! You wouldn't want to get on his bad side if he's that ripped.

Wait, a flexitarian is someone that flexes a lot, right? Otherwise that term wouldn't make any sense!

You made me choke on my soda!

Sevenseas, wonderrandy posted the invitation when closing the original thread.
#7 Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I don't bash flexitarians. I don't bash Omnivores either.

I'm not nearly self-righteous enough to dictate how others should eat.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#8 Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

You made me choke on my soda!

Sevenseas, wonderrandy posted the invitation when closing the original thread.

Ah yes, in the Food discussion forum.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#9 Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

How about flexi-bashing them? You know, saying that normally flexitarianism is a ridiculous notion, but occasionally it makes a little sense?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#10 Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Personally, I don't bash flexitarians. I don't bash Omnivores either.

I'm not dictating. They can eat whatever they want. I just don't think flexitarian is, in anyway, a reasonable term.
#11 Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know - I think the term "flexitarian" is silly, but I didn't feel so totally negative towards that poster. They just seemed to be a committed animal welfarist, which is the same as many on here who eat dairy and eggs (but shun meat), which is also a welfarist stance. Was it their attitude that irritated people so much?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well that's the age-old (on here) "personal choice" vs. "moral imperative" issue.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I don't know - I think the term "flexitarian" is silly, but I didn't feel so totally negative towards that poster. They just seemed to be a committed animal welfarist, which is the same as many on here who eat dairy and eggs (but shun meat), which is also a welfarist stance. Was it their attitude that irritated people so much?

I don't know about others but personally it was the attitude that vegetarian is a subjective term and people who use the dictionary definition are being overly strict and judgmental of others who wish to use a more subjective definition. The poster seems to be an animal welfarist and feels guilty about battery cage eggs yet has no problem eating meat sometimes. That bugged me more than anything.
#14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't know about others but personally it was the attitude that vegetarian is a subjective term and people who use the dictionary definition are being overly strict and judgmental of others who wish to use a more subjective definition.

O.k. That does tend to cause irritation to vegetarians and vegans here.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

Personally , I think this thread is ridicules .
#16 Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I think labels are silly. All of them.

--Fromper

#17 Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

*gently steps waay out on a limb*

I'm not trying to get anyone in a upraor but.... how is that person allowed to post here and is not banned? This person has shown no intest in excluding meat in their diet, and they just promoted meat eating as fine... on occasion. I undertand that this person is an "established member" but isn't this against The Rules?
#18 Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I'm not trying to get anyone in a upraor but.... how is that person allowed to post here and is not banned? This person has shown no intest in excluding meat in their diet, and they just promoted meat eating as fine... on occasion. I undertand that this person is an "established member" but isn't this against The Rules?

*gos to search for the grandfather to identify his grandchild*

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#19 Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

*gos to search for the grandfather to identify his grandchild*

I don't think he had anything to do with this. This person is too new to be any of his grandkids
#20 Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

:steps gently out on limb with beachbunny:

Honestly I was kind wondering that myself. The mods apparently don't seem have an issue with it though. :shrugs:
#21 Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

If we're stepping onto that limb we might as well break it

He's posting promoting meat eating and is allowed to advertise a forum that promotes it as well

When there were google ads about meat they were removed, and those were making the site money. Why is it okay for a user to come here and promote their meat eating?

"Pro-meat/hunting/etc debate (will result in an immediate ban)"
#22 Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The Rules state: "VeggieBoards is a forum for people who are A) vegetarian or B) have a sincere interest in going vegetarian." It can easily be argued that someone who has omitted MOST meat from their diet has a "sincere interest in going vegetarian". They did NOT promote meat eating as "fine", they agreed that vegetarianism is an ideal worth working towards. They simply don't claim to be perfect, or terribly uptight about it.

We have members who firmly believe that vegans can eat gelatin. should they be banned?

We have members who admit to eating shellfish on occasion. should they be banned?

We have members who are more veg*n than other members. Who stays and who goes?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#23 Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If we're stepping onto that limb we might as well break it

*snap goes the limb*

I just want to be careful that it's not a witch hunt or a group mob scene here. If this person were open to change, I'd be super supportive cause I love some me some newbies! I'm just genuinely questioning this, as I assume we all are, with good intentions.
#24 Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

*inflates large airbag to break everyone's fall*
#25 Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm just genuinely questioning this, as I assume we all are, with good intentions.

Hell, I am too. I support someone that makes any change to reduce the amount of animals they use as products. It was his insults towards vegetarians and vegetarianism that bugged me.

"But we don't restrict ourselves to the point where we almost religiously and fervently kick ourselves for having one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us!"
#26 Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The Rules state: "VeggieBoards is a forum for people who are A) vegetarian or B) have a sincere interest in going vegetarian." It can easily be argued that someone who has omitted MOST meat from their diet has a "sincere interest in going vegetarian". They did NOT promote meat eating as "fine", they agreed that vegetarianism is an ideal worth working towards. They simply don't claim to be perfect, or terribly uptight about it.

We have members who firmly believe that vegans can eat gelatin. should they be banned?

We have members who admit to eating shellfish on occasion. should they be banned?

We have members who are more veg*n than other members. Who stays and who goes?

OK you're right, Randy, I'm sorry! Point taken and it's not up to me. I understand that it's a fine line and not an easy job to try and figure all that stuff out. I have my feelings about it but that's moot. Again, I'm sorry
#27 Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"But we don't restrict ourselves to the point where we almost religiously and fervently kick ourselves for having one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us!"

Oh yeah, this probably isn't his/her place if they want to share those values. If you purposely drop your vegetarianism just because you're getting a free takeout lunch out of it, that's such a flimsy commitment to vegetarianism that you should probably just claim the title of omnivore. The vast majority of places serve factory farmed meat too, which kind of throws out the welfare argument.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#28 Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hell, I am too. I support someone that makes any change to reduce the amount of animals they use as products. It was his insults towards vegetarians and vegetarianism that bugged me.

I understand that but Randy is right. Where do we draw the line? And really, that "we" doesn't include me. I love this place and am thankful that it's up and running and I'm as well sheltered from meat-eaters here as I am. I interpreted the post much the same as you (and then some) but it's not up to me to decide that stuff.

If this "flexatarian" thing were a real label (which I consider it to be bunk), my Husband would be one as would my Parents. Though they cetainly don't accept or use that term. They've reduced the amount of animals they eat, which is great, but that does not make it appropriate for them to be considered "vegetarians".... or, in my oh so humble opinion, for them to join a vegetarian supportive community.

And BTW- I totally love your SN. Took me a few times of seeing it and pronouncing it slowly in my mind to figure it out. Cute!
#29 Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And BTW- I totally love your SN. Took me a few times of seeing it and pronouncing it slowly in my mind to figure it out. Cute!

I can't take credit for it; it's the word used for fictional/small middle of nowhere towns in New Zealand. I borrowed the term, and I think it's a great one for a veg*n site.
#30 Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I don't know about others but personally it was the attitude that vegetarian is a subjective term and people who use the dictionary definition are being overly strict and judgmental of others who wish to use a more subjective definition.

That sounds like a honey thread!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page