Bush legacy... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Whether you spent the past seven years banging your head against the wall asking "why" or drove around town yelling "let's roll!" with a yellow-ribbon magnet-sticker on your car- one thing is true right now: Bush is entering his last year as President.

I'm getting the vibe that people are just ready to move on and want to concentrate on the future rather than dwell on the past two controversial elections. The Administration has run a successful polarizing campaign dividing us into red-states and blue-states and there is talk from both parties that in 2008 they would both like to run a 50-state campaign.

To the Americans on this board: Who, in your opinion, in EACH party, has the ability to attract members of the opposite party, independents, and their own party to unify the Country, heal our wounds, and restore our respect in the World. And how should we go about that? Or, do you believe that this next election will be just as polarizing and reform will be stunted in the next four years by partisan bickering? Be objective and honest.

To Our Non-American veg*n friends: What do you think, based on the current atmosphere in your country, the USA could do to restore respect and trust? And from what you have heard, who do you think can do this?

Hate him, love him... Bush is history. Let's move on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Ugh, I don't know. I would like to think that the country is going to come together again, and that we can regain respect in the world. No matter who wins in 2008, no doubt we are going to have a more well-rounded, level-headed, respectable, intelligent president than the guy currently in office.

I wish I could say that there is one candidate that would be able to win the nomination, the election, and the hearts and minds of the American people. But, I am not sure if the two sides have grown so far apart that we can see that accomplished. I have to say I was disappointed with the way the Dems acted after the midterm elections, I expected more butt kicking and house cleaning, and they really waffled. I really wanted them to at least attempt to impeach Bush, truly. But, maybe in the end it isn't such a bad thing, as they weren't nearly as polarizing as they could have been, and as the Repub majority was.

I am a full-fledged liberal but I used to be able to picture myself voting for McCain, but now he is really pandering for votes and "flip-flopping" on a lot of issues, and I have lost all respect for him. I used to view him as pretty centrist, but now he seems to be jumping on the neo-con bandwagon, hoping it will carry him to the White House. I can not imagine voting for any of the other jokers the GOP has vying for the nomination. I will vote for a Democrat, I like all of them and could vote for any of them.
#3 Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnavibes View Post

Whether you spent the past seven years banging your head against the wall asking "why" or drove around town yelling "let's roll!" with a yellow-ribbon magnet-sticker on your car- one thing is true right now: Bush is entering his last year as President.

I'm getting the vibe that people are just ready to move on and want to concentrate on the future rather than dwell on the past two controversial elections. The Administration has run a successful polarizing campaign dividing us into red-states and blue-states and there is talk from both parties that in 2008 they would both like to run a 50-state campaign.

To the Americans on this board: Who, in your opinion, in EACH party, has the ability to attract members of the opposite party, independents, and their own party to unify the Country, heal our wounds, and restore our respect in the World. And how should we go about that? Or, do you believe that this next election will be just as polarizing and reform will be stunted in the next four years by partisan bickering? Be objective and honest.

To Our Non-American veg*n friends: What do you think, based on the current atmosphere in your country, the USA could do to restore respect and trust? And from what you have heard, who do you think can do this?

Hate him, love him... Bush is history. Let's move on!

McCain and Leberman

Hillary and Obama will divide the country.

The Red States and Blue states was started by the Democrates and the news media....Their purpose was to divide. It didn't work out the way they wanted it to, but it worked.

I wouldn't vote for the guys up above. I just listed who I think would offer a workable answer to your question.

Asking folks who aren't American who they think should lead this country is at best a real stretch for the imagination. Most foreigners really don't understand what America is all about. They get fed news that is more than likely slanted from the position of their political leaders....When I watch the BBC I see a different angle on the news than what actually happened. I have little trust for news services(ours included)...most are self serving.

Just my two cents.

Dvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroHousewife View Post

Ugh, I don't know. I would like to think that the country is going to come together again, and that we can regain respect in the world. No matter who wins in 2008, no doubt we are going to have a more well-rounded, level-headed, respectable, intelligent president than the guy currently in office.

I wish I could say that there is one candidate that would be able to win the nomination, the election, and the hearts and minds of the American people. But, I am not sure if the two sides have grown so far apart that we can see that accomplished. I have to say I was disappointed with the way the Dems acted after the midterm elections, I expected more butt kicking and house cleaning, and they really waffled. I really wanted them to at least attempt to impeach Bush, truly. But, maybe in the end it isn't such a bad thing, as they weren't nearly as polarizing as they could have been, and as the Repub majority was.

I am a full-fledged liberal but I used to be able to picture myself voting for McCain, but now he is really pandering for votes and "flip-flopping" on a lot of issues, and I have lost all respect for him. I used to view him as pretty centrist, but now he seems to be jumping on the neo-con bandwagon, hoping it will carry him to the White House. I can not imagine voting for any of the other jokers the GOP has vying for the nomination. I will vote for a Democrat, I like all of them and could vote for any of them.

I agree with you about McCain. It's really sad that he is jumping on the sinking Neo-Con ship. Hell, even the Bush administration has realized that pre-emptive unilateral intervention is dangerous. He could have been someone to really bring the parties together. The man deserves much respect for his service to our country, but we need to work out compromises on Iraq. I disagree with many Democrats that say it is "Bush's war". We need to decide as a nation what we will do.

To quote Lewis Black: "The Democratic Party is the party of no ideas, the Republican Party is the party of bad ideas". Explains the lack of doing much since 2006.
#5 Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Bush's legacy is the Iraq War and the madness of the Neo-Cons, of course, the erosion of civil liberties (with the help of a compliant Congress) and the infiltration of government agencies by industry lobbyists and right wing Christian ideologues (Regents University graduates) and a general feeling that the government is just plain incompetent. the government is broken because, especially during the period when the Republicans also controlled Congress, it has been taken over by those that don't believe in a working government in the first place or believe in using it for their own or their patrons' ends (Tom Delay, Jack Abramoff and their White House buddy, Karl Rove). must reads about the mess created: Broken Government by John W. Dean and also Conservatives Without Conscience by John W. Dean, Tragic Legacy by Glen Greenwald, Fiasco by Thomas E. Ricks.

Who in 2008? Welll I wanted Joe Biden, but he is out, so...Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton: Obama has the intelligence and instincts and character to possibly be inspirational, but he needs someone like Joe Biden to be his vice president. Hillary would be a competent if not compelling president, but she is a polarizing figure because people like southern women and conservative men just love to hate her. John McCain has, or had, the character to be much admired. but as was stated above by others, his cozying to the neocon nutcases and his pandering to the 'values' voters on the extreme right of the Republican party has made him begin to seem like just more of the same crap that got us into the mess Bush created. i don't think he would be the total dunce that Bush was and he is not as scary as Giuliani, but I am afraid of the people whose butts he has been kissing this campaign.
#6 Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Very interesting. What made me create this topic was what Obama said about Ronald Reagan. Like him or not, he was a real unifier. There are smart and witty individuals of both parties that can act as unifiers. It is what separates the FDRs and Reagans from the Carters and Nixons.

It seems to me that we just need a reconciler rather than someone who will provoke. Before we enact any reforms, be it liberal or conservative, we need to reach across party lines and come together as a country and restore integrity to our system.
#7 Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Bush Legacy

Foreign: War on Terror

Domestic: Tax Cuts, 2 Great Supreme court nominations, No Child Left Behind, Medicare Prescription Drug Act, Patriot Act, NSA Surveillance bypassing FISA.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#8 Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

but as was stated above by others, his cozying to the neocon nutcases and his pandering to the 'values' voters on the extreme right of the Republican party has made him begin

McCain did concern me with the Fallwell stuff. Neoconservative? not sure what you mean, his support of the surge? it's good enough that democrats aren't talking about Iraq as much.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#9 Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

To Our Non-American veg*n friends: What do you think, based on the current atmosphere in your country, the USA could do to restore respect and trust?

Gather everyone in the current administration to a town square of sorts. Then, one by one, have them walk to the center, kneel down, pull down their trousers/skirt/whatever, in order to have their behind hit with a tennis racket 10-15 times. Televise all over the world. Call it the "Ultimate Corporal Punishment Marathon".

Quote:
And from what you have heard, who do you think can do this?

I can.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#10 Old 01-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I can.

I'm afraid!!!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#11 Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvin View Post

Most foreigners really don't understand what America is all about.

Good that Americans (and especially the Bush administration) really do understand what foreigners and their countries are about.

Quote:

To Our Non-American veg*n friends: What do you think, based on the current atmosphere in your country, the USA could do to restore respect and trust?

Considering the current atmosphere in my country, Id very much prefer respect and trust being restored from within, and without the help of any US government.
#12 Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

The bush legacy does not have a leg to stand on. (only an ass)... See?
#13 Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 AM

I will think of him as a man who thought of body bags as a business expense.
#14 Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

This painting by Mark Bryan sums up Bush's legacy nicely
LL
#15 Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

"Body bags and little rags of children torn in two

and jellied brains of those who remain to put the finger right on you

As the madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song

To the tune of starving millions to make a better kind of gun."

2 Minutes to Midnight

Iron Maiden

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#16 Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

This painting by Mark Bryan sums up Bush's legacy nicely

agreed
#17 Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvin View Post

McCain and Leberman

Hillary and Obama will divide the country.

Dvin

You mean Joe Lieberman, the guy who was Gore's running mate in 2000? The guy who was a Democrat, went "Independent" and now votes largely Republican and is working for McCain? Yeah, that Joe Lieberman, he is a real cracker-jack uniter that one.

I actually think that Hillary and Obama have united the country already, in that this election is momentous and record-breaking.
#18 Old 01-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you mean by a 50-state campaign?
#19 Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

What do you mean by a 50-state campaign?

Republicans have not campaigned much in states like California and New York since Reagan. Likewise, Democrats haven't campaigned much in such states as Kansas and Tennessee. They usually focus on states where one party tends to dominate in national elections and swing states. Running a 50 state campaign would mean that the Republicans would have to find a way to advertise successfully in strong Democratic states and Democrats would have to do the same in strong Republican states.
#20 Old 01-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Republicans have not campaigned much in states like California and New York since Reagan. Likewise, Democrats haven't campaigned much in such states as Kansas and Tennessee. They usually focus on states where one party tends to dominate in national elections and swing states. Running a 50 state campaign would mean that the Republicans would have to find a way to advertise successfully in strong Democratic states and Democrats would have to do the same in strong Republican states.

Campaigns are already so expensive. Doesn't that mean they'll cost even more?

As far as the questions go about the future, I think we need a third party. The Green Party would be preferable. Kucinich dropped out of the race, so I don't feel like either parties has a chance at making me want to vote for them. I don't know enough about many of the candidates though. The United States has been at war for the most part for the last 60 years, so I think we need maybe 20 years of peace and I think this country will be respected.
#21 Old 01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Beginner

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Campaigns are already so expensive. Doesn't that mean they'll cost even more?

You bet. Some candidates though say that it is important to reach out to voters in all states. Rudy Giuliani, for example, routinely says he can bring states like California and New York back into the battleground for the Republican Party.

Quote:
As far as the questions go about the future, I think we need a third party. The Green Party would be preferable. Kucinich dropped out of the race, so I don't feel like either parties has a chance at making me want to vote for them. I don't know enough about many of the candidates though. The United States has been at war for the most part for the last 60 years, so I think we need maybe 20 years of peace and I think this country will be respected.

Third parties, like the Green Party and Libertarian Party, SHOULD be allowed to participate in national debates so people can get a diverse variety of opinions. Politically, however, it will be difficult for a third party to get a lot of votes- due to finances and all. Traditionally, the USA has preferred a two-party system. What is happening now is that the divisions between parties seem to be only superficial (due probably to corporate interest) and people really lack a strong, different choice.

We should just scrap the party system and do multiple rounds of voting. hahaha
#22 Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

Clean up you Mideast act.

Try and elect someone with at least a bit of integrity. Someone who has travelled and seen the world outside your own country. Someone who can bring about much needed change in both health care and maybe even foreign policy.

Hint: It's not "Billary" Clinton, and it's not a Republican : )

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#23 Old 02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Barak Obama would be an inspirational leader that the world would respect.

The fact that he is both black and white is a big plus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page