Is it appropriate for VB to promote unethical multinationals? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Bof
Banned

'The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them, that's the essence of inhumanity.' - GBS

There's more indifference here than on any other forum I've seen.

Nestle and their ilk have probably caused more suffering than Al Qaeda but who cares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

If people want to get a free candy bar they can. If they don't they don't.

Would you include an offer of kangaroo meat samples on the forum?
#33 Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

You assume everyone is veg*n for the same reason as you. For some reason that doesn't surprise me.

Could you expand on this (veiled attack?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Vegan Police Officer

So free "candy bars" take precedence over babies, human rights and ethics.

Maybe the candy bars will get stuck in your throats.

Good-bye.
#35 Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

why must we all be veg*n for the same reason? not all of us are ethical veg, not all of us are health veg.
#36 Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

why must we all be veg*n for the same reason? not all of us are ethical veg, not all of us are health veg.

Anyone of compassion will eventually go vegan, but maybe not in this lifetime, unfortunately.
#37 Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Anyone of compassion will eventually go vegan, but maybe not in this lifetime, unfortunately.

it's hard to have an honest discussion if you use these kind of rethorics.
#38 Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Would you include an offer of kangaroo meat samples on the forum?

Now, I'm no fan of Nestle, but this is a flawed example, considering the name of the place is VeggieBoards. Yes, there are some folks here who boycott Nestle, but it's not Veggie-anti-evil-multinationals-board.

I don't disagree with your right to challenge Michael, but your comparison to the kangaroo meat is a poor choice.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#39 Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

your comparison to the kangaroo meat is a poor choice.

I agree. It was the first thing that came to mind.
#40 Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

With regard to the unethical companies issue, where would you draw the line? Nestle is amongst the top contenders for the crown of evil, but what about a company that sells factory farmed meat for example (assuming the freebie was veg)? Or a coupon for a store or restaurant that sells meat?

Not trying (too much) to be Devil's advocate, but many many companies are flawed in some way.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#41 Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

With regard to the unethical companies issue, where would you draw the line? Nestle is amongst the top contenders for the crown of evil, but what about a company that sells factory farmed meat for example (assuming the freebie was veg)? Or a coupon for a store or restaurant that sells meat?

Not trying (too much) to be Devil's advocate, but many many companies are flawed in some way.

Exactly.

Call me a pessimist, but I doubt if anyone here can name a single major company that we can all agree is totally ethical. For instance, in another thread recently, we were talking about soy milk and somebody complained that one of the major manufacturers of soy milk is owned by an evil corporation that sells meat or something. I forget the details, but you get the point.

Where do you draw the line?

From what I've seen, VB has drawn the line at meat. As long as we're not promoting that, anything else goes, which is why the l/o vegs here can talk about dairy and egg products, even though the vegans object to those products.

If you have an objection to Nestle, or any other particular corporation, feel free to mention it and invite everyone to join your boycott. But whining that everyone on VB doesn't already know and agree with your reasons for boycotting Nestle is just silly.

--Fromper

#42 Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Owned! I mean close this thread?
#43 Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

So free "candy bars" take precedence over babies, human rights and ethics.

Maybe the candy bars will get stuck in your throats.

Good-bye.

#44 Old 11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Not to mention we're probably all supporting the evil electric and computer companies just by being on VB.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#45 Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Not to mention we're probably all supporting the evil electric and computer companies just by being on VB.

Oh no not another taser thread.
#46 Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inie View Post

it's hard to have an honest discussion if you use these kind of rethorics.

Are you talking about rhetoric?

Do you know what it means?

Are you suggesting that I'm insincere?
#47 Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I don't see it as drawing a line but doing the best one can under the circumstances.

There's a continuum from the worst of the worst to the best of the best and, as you say, Nestles are among the worst of the worst, with plenty of alternatives to their products. (Cruelty free chocolate bars, fair trade tea and coffee etc.)
#48 Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

If you have an objection to Nestle, or any other particular corporation, feel free to mention it and invite everyone to join your boycott. But whining that everyone on VB doesn't already know and agree with your reasons for boycotting Nestle is just silly.

--Fromper

It's very kind of you to give me permission to voice my objection(s) to unethical companies. I appreciate it.

As for 'whining that everyone on VB doesn't already know and agree with my reasons for boycotting Nestle' I'm not sure what you mean but, if I think people should know about some gross injustice, I will continue to speak out (with or without permission from some kid on VB)

We're not talking about a company that doesn't recycle. It's about a company that causes millions of kids to die unnecessarily

I'm glad that people are whining about what's happening in Myanmar.

I'm glad that people are whining about what's happening to moon bears.

I'm glad that people whined and stood up to the Nazis in the 30's and 40's

Maybe if more people whined, more people would be aware of what's going on in the world and things would get better

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

- Edmund Burke
#49 Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Could you expand on this (veiled attack?).

It's not veiled and it's not an attack. You said...

Quote:
I was surprised by this as I would have expected at least a minimal standard of ethics from a veg*n site.

And I said not everyone is a vegetarian for the same reason. Not all that difficult to comprehend.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#50 Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

I don't think IAJ will say it, but I will. Just another attempt to stir up drama.
#51 Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are you talking about rhetoric?

Do you know what it means?

Someone needs TP for his bunghole.
#52 Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh free candy!!
#53 Old 11-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

And I said not everyone is a vegetarian for the same reason. Not all that difficult to comprehend.

No. You said: 'You assume everyone is veg*n for the same reason as you. For some reason that doesn't surprise me'.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. (I'm well aware that some people are veg*n for their own self-centred reasons and don't give a stuff about any other beings.)

I did assume that nearly all people (excluding psychopaths) cared about the welfare of children but I was obviously mistaken.
#54 Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

How is a free candy bar going to hurt children? It's free.

Normally I'd eat higher quality chocolate but I'm not going to say no to free candy. That's just dumb.
#55 Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

If anything, wouldn't you WANT to get the free candy bar? Toss it in the trash. You're costing them money
#56 Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I did assume that nearly all people (excluding psychopaths) cared about the welfare of children but I was obviously mistaken.

You and your ****ing psychopaths. Everyone who doesn't agree with your morals is a psychopath. If I were you, I'd never leave my house. 95% of the population is a psychopath.
#57 Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

Or maybe some of think the Nestle hate is overhyped.

I ****ing guarantee some of us do more "for the children" than 90% of those crying crocodile tears over this.
#58 Old 11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Chevious View Post

Oooh free candy!!

It's not sugar free though. Those *******s!
#59 Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

How is a free candy bar going to hurt children? It's free.

Normally I'd eat higher quality chocolate but I'm not going to say no to free candy. That's just dumb.

For the nth time - I didn't say anything about free choc bars.

I was talking about the promotion of Nestle.

Look at the thread title for a clue as to what its about.
#60 Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Or maybe some of think the Nestle hate is overhyped.

I ****ing guarantee some of us do more "for the children" than 90% of those crying crocodile tears over this.

Have you actually bothered to research what Nestle have been doing in the 'developing world' (for decades)?

It's as close to murder as you can get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page