Are you getting a Flu Shot? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The vaccine is created with egg so it's not vegan, and some also have concerns about its efficacy and pharma profit motives. I myself shan't be getting one, for these reasons and others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

No, never had one. Not all that old yet, as to not rely on my own immune system.
#3 Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, do not see a reason to get one.

I mean . . . it's the flu . . . On the rare chance to catch it, a bowl of soup, some hot tea, and a day laying in bed will suffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Isn't the flu shoot non-vegan?
#5 Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. The last time I got one was, I guess, 2003-2004.
#6 Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

No flu shot for me for many years. Also no flu for several years.
#7 Old 11-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is this in the Heap?

And no, I'm not.
#8 Old 11-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been vaccinated for anything in years. Too much effort.
#9 Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

I haven't been vaccinated for anything in years. Too much effort.

We can tell.
#10 Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Nah, I don't get the flu often enough to warrant it. Maybe when I'm old and grey and my immune system is run down, who knows.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I will not get a flu shot and I will not allow my daughter to have one either. My S/O will not get a flu shot (he works in a hospital).

I have never had a flu and neither has my daughter.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 AM

No. never get one.
#13 Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

They only offer them to high risk groups over here I think? There's not much point in most healthy people having them really. I've never got one. I've never had flu either.
#14 Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Bof
Banned

I've never had flu, but I'm in a high risk group, couldn't handle any more health problems and it's free, so I had one this year.
#15 Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been getting one every year since I turned 50...just got it two weeks ago for this year.
#16 Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I haven't had the flu since I was a little kid.

*knocks on wood*
#17 Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I work with children, have a child...so I fit quite a lot of the criteria for getting the shot. But I am philosophically opposed to the flu shot, so no.

B
#18 Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had the flu, but I don't think I'm getting the flu shot. I don't have anything against them though, I think people at higher risk for the flu should definately go for it, but I'm not at a higher risk, so I'm not going to bother. Plus, it costs money if you're not in a higher risk group.
#19 Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had one before and don't see any reason to start now.
#20 Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

No. Flu vaccines are just a crap shoot anyway. They just guess what strain of flu will come around each year and make the vaccine based on their guesses. I know people who have gotten the flu shot and still got very sick anyway. Why bother?
#21 Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't had a flu shot in many many years.

But someone here had me thinking about this in another thread. What about protecting others and helping protect their immune system? What if I'm carrying the flu but not affected by it, save maybe a runny nose, and I come in close contact with someone with a less than perfect immune system. Is it my responsibility to help the whole by immunizing myself? I had never thought about it that way until something was said here about it.

All things considered though, I still will probably not get the shot. My Husband has to have it and it always makes him sick. Ironic much?
#22 Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Funny, I was going to ask about the flu shot, and then I saw this thread.

I never get the flu shot. And now that I'm vegan, I have a good reason (the egg thing) not to.

BUT

My best friend's baby is almost 3 months old. Her pediatirician told her that anybody that comes in contact with the baby should have a flu shot. She asked me to get one. She said that her mom's boyfriend said that he wouldn't have one and they told him that if he didn't have one he couldn't come around the baby until the spring.

I LOVE the baby and it would kill me to not be able to see her. So, I guess I will have to get the shot.
#23 Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never gotten one in my life, so I skipped out this year as well. I got asthma about five years ago, though, and now every time I get the flu I need to go on steroids. So I probably should get the shot, but my doctor's never told me I should, I'm lazy, and I'm not fond of needles. So I'll just cross my fingers and hope I don't catch it.
#24 Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Beginner

No, i'm not afraid of the flu.
#25 Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

i got one. i had the flu before and almost spend the night in the hospital because i couldn't eat anything.
#26 Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I got mine. I had bad asthma and used to get it every year and wind up in hospital. My asthma's got worse over the last two years and I've already had a chest infection, so my lungs are in particularly shoddy shape this year.

I'm considered "at risk" so I get a letter saying I should from ze government. Nice.

If you don't normally get flu and aren't in the risk catagory (OAPs, asthmatics and diabetics) I can't see the point in getting the jab though.

Edit - I agree it doesn't always work, but it seems to this year. Half of my college class have got it (including close friends) and I'm feeling fine =D
#27 Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that my take on it beachbunny is that we have received a false impression that nobody is ever supposed to get sick or die. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth. We are neither supposed to be always healthy or always ill. Germs and illness actually can help to build our immunity if they are met with a body that has been primarily active and well, and also had a nutritious diet. I've been at home with my daughter all weekend. She's been ill with cold/flu symptoms which have included everything from congestion, coughing and sore throat to vomiting. Normally she is immensely healthy. When she got sick she simply laid down and rested, blowed her nose, coughed and occasionally....cried. Then yesterday evening I saw her turning a corner and returning to health again. Her energy returned, she wanted to eat and be outside a bit. We're at home today again so she can have another day of rest before returning to school. It was funny that her body knew what she needed. Once I tried to get her to eat and take some medicine and it was after this that she simply threw up.

One of my big issues with modern medicine is that we have overmedicated. Antibiotics for every infection...which happen to cause diseases to mutate into more difficult to treat diseases. We've lost faith in the bodies fervent impulse to heal itself...when it kind of does quite well...particularly from viral issues. As a parent and a person I always live under the philosophy that my body...and my daughter's, is mostly strong enough to heal itself. In the case that it can't, a doctor/medicine may be needed. But in the last six years, neither of us has needed anything other than time, rest and very occasionally, some OTC treatment.

B
#28 Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I've reached my late thirties without getting the flu or a flu shot, so I'm not about to start vaccinating now. I'm with you, Bethanie, on only medicating when nothing else works.
#29 Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

i have asthma, so when i got the flu in the past, it was bad.. i couldnt' eat or drink, i could hardly breathe.
#30 Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I'm with you, Bethanie, on only medicating when nothing else works.

That's my belief as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page