Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

From the above post:

Rupert Murdoch has decided that the best approach to journalism is to parade opinions dressed-up as News. The reason is simple: No one can disprove an opinion, and therefore, credibility is easier to maintain. Should they ever get caught lying, the legal process affords them protection under the First Amendment. All this, thanks in part to Congress who had the bright idea of passing a HIDDEN rider Bill to deregulate the News Media. That's right, Corporate News entities can tell lies and distort the news if they so choose, and it's all perfectly legal.
#3 Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

How much Fox "news" do you watch and believe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Why did you post the same link twice?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

That's right, Corporate News entities can tell lies and distort the news if they so choose, and it's all perfectly legal.

I don't think being a corporate news entity gives them special rights, they can bull**** America with propaganda as much as you do Silver without fear of prosecution.

are you suggesting we regulate freedom of the press? journalistically speaking: **** you.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#6 Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:

24/7......All of it!
#7 Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

I don't actually "watch" any.

I do videotape every hour I can on my old VHS VCR. When I fill a 6 hour EP tape, I then take it out of the VCR, pull out all of the tape, and then wrap it around my naked, oiled up body.

That is just how I roll.
#8 Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

I don't think being a corporate news entity gives them special rights, they can bull**** America with propaganda

are you suggesting we regulate freedom of the press? journalistically speaking: **** you.

Is it freedom of the press when the owner of the station (Murdoch) dictates how to slant the news to fit his own views? That's NOT NEWS, it's personal opinion, but he presents it as "fair and balanced" news. Do you not see the difference? I guess not.

So all I can say to you now is SHUT UP! (it works for O'Reilly)
#9 Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post

24/7......All of it!

Well, thanks for the warning. Now we know your limits.
#10 Old 10-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

If you've ever watched Fox News (or CNN for that matter) this shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Both are about making money. Each spins the news to cater to a different audience.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, and most people who watch corporate news recognize that there is bias. That's why they pick the news channel that most closely aligns with their opinions.
#12 Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

If you've ever watched Fox News (or CNN for that matter) this shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Both are about making money. Each spins the news to cater to a different audience.

And couldn't the same be said of ABC, CBS, and NBC?
#13 Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post

And couldn't the same be said of ABC, CBS, and NBC?

Please, they aren't biased and don't do it for the money..... everyone at the big 3 work for free don't ya know.

#14 Old 10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is it freedom of the press when the owner of the station (Murdoch) dictates how to slant the news to fit his own views?

Yes. Just as it is with CNN and Ted Turner.

This is always the way it has been because no individual or entity can be trusted with telling people what counts as news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

That's why they pick the news channel that most closely aligns with their opinions.

Nah, some people are just cry babies that can't stand to hear a differing opinion.

Quote:

So all I can say to you now is SHUT UP! (it works for O'Reilly)

knowing you, you probably think Fox broadcasts mind control rays. actually I wish you did believe that because the alternative is that you're a fascist that believes there is a "fair and balanced" that you know for sure all while you spew your half baked conspiracy theory opinions (news?) about 9/11.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#15 Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Rupert Murdoch has decided that the best approach to journalism is to parade opinions dressed-up as News.

Damn foreigners.
#16 Old 10-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

you spew your half baked conspiracy theory opinions (news?) about 9/11.

Until you have a read a complete book on the subject, or watched a full length film about the events of that day, you don't know what you are talking about yet. You are still in the dark.
#17 Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Until you have a read a complete book on the subject, or watched a full length film about the events of that day, you don't know what you are talking about yet. You are still in the dark.

#18 Old 10-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

#19 Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Silver, you should read "Bias" by Bernard Goldberg about CBS.
#20 Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Fox News is a joke run by former Republican strategist Roger Ailes and I am sure that many of those that defend it know the extent of the joke. Others are of course totally duped by it. To say that other networks do the same thing is pure BS. Fox stands alone in its constant effort to editorialize and propagandize in the guise of news.

I related on another thread recently how I watched Fox News for about 45 minutes recently while waiting for my car as it had some maintenance done by the dealer. During the small amount of the 'newscast' that I saw, the Fox anchor, some woman that has blonde hair and anchors at about 11:15 a.m. on weekdays, while hosting 'news reports', called the Iranian president 'a dictator' (while he was in fact elected in Iran's admittedly imperfect election system which is at least much more democratic than Egypt's and Saudi Arabia's, but you don't hear Mubarak or the Saudi rulers referred to as 'dictators' on Fox now do you). He was repreatedly portrayed as all powerful, when in fact the mullahs have the real power in Iran. and he was referred to as a 'madman' and 'mad dictator', all within the 'news' segments, not during commentary. (in fact, nothing seems to be designated commentary unless they present something like "The O'Reilly Factor".) the news anchor also during this same segment referred to Hugo Chavez as a dictator, even though he was in fact elected overwhelmingly. she also stated that it was a FACT that the Iranian government was supplying IED's in Iraq, when in fact even the US military has repeatedly stated that they are not sure if the government has any direct involvement in IED's. yes, fair and balanced lmao. it would be funny if the Fox Propaganda Channel wasn't the most heavily watched cable 'news' outlet.
#21 Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, and most people who watch corporate news recognize that there is bias. That's why they pick the news channel that most closely aligns with their opinions.

I don't, I try and get a variety, even of the ones I disagree with. But yeah Silver, this is a surprise?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#22 Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

"fair and balanced" is trademarked branding. Not an independent party's researched findings.
#23 Old 10-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"Bias" has been skewered by many. Have you read any of those articles debunking it?
#24 Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

nope, and I didn't read the book either

I only suggested it because I thought it did get a lot of critical praise and was something from the "other" perspective. Not left wing extremists.
#25 Old 10-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I don't, I try and get a variety, even of the ones I disagree with. But yeah Silver, this is a surprise?

Actually yes. I rarely, rarely watch Fox, so I didn't know how blatant and in-your-face "shut-up" they are. Wow!
#26 Old 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't rely only on book reviews. I never recommend a book I myself haven't read. Why do you?
#27 Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Because I don't feel that I need to experience something to make a recommendation of it. For instance, I could tell someone that they might like pomegranate vodka based on their interests, even though I've never had it before.

I actually did read some of the book. I borrowed it from the library & read a few sections. I just didn't read the whole thing because it was actually condemning the "liberal media" rather than the conservative stations. IOW, it didn't preach to me at the time so I decided I didn't like it. (I used to be very left-wing.)

I've since stopped being so dogmatic.
#28 Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because I don't feel that I need to experience something to make a recommendation of it.

Thanks. It's good to have that knowledge about your recommendations. But personally, I would value your personal opinion much more than simply your hearsay about something.
#29 Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But personally, I would value your personal opinion much more than simply your hearsay about something.

#30 Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Until you have a read a complete book on the subject

Can I borrow one of yours? Or have you colored all of the pages?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page