"'Jena 6' protest held at Louisiana town" - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

White children were not bused to black schools. At least not in the south.

I lived in Northport, AL when desegragation began. This town is near Birmingham, AL. I dont know how it was in other places--but I am white and I was sent to a black school. They did it this way--if you lived on one side of the street you went to the white school, if you lived on the other you went to a black school. They did this in EVERY neighborhood. Northport, AL is a very small town-or was at that time. There were many protestors, but thank God my parents were positive about it. The school I went to was actually newer and better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Because of my experiences, I have a hard time conceiving how lines are drawn for a segregated school district. Do they have a black district and a white district, or white and black schools under the same district?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#33 Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually--I dont guess it would be called a line--I used the wrong word. Odd number houses went to one school, even the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Lynnbug, I don't think you used the word "line" at all. I did. I was referring to the district before de-segregation, although if certain schools retained their color-coded identity, then you might still have black and white schools in the district.

Where did students of other minorities go? Those of mixed race?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#35 Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Im not sure - I was in the 4th grade at the time. The black schools were in black neighborhoods, and the white in white neighborhoods. All were part of the Tuscaloosa County School District. (Northport being part of the county) I am not sure how the city schools worked.
#36 Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

The assault had nothing to do directly with the nooses. The victim was not involved, and the attack occurred months later. Pay attention.

Paying attention is too much work. You got me, I commented w/o reading the article. It wasn't the first time and probably won't be the last.
#37 Old 09-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

So is this a question of "When is'nt assault, assault?
#38 Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Paying attention is too much work. You got me, I commented w/o reading the article. It wasn't the first time and probably won't be the last.

Hmmm... this relates to a discussion I'm participating in on another board. (*gasp!* Yes, Skylark isn't faithful to VB.)

We were talking about the situation in Zimbabwe, and some people were upset some animal-rights groups made comments in news stories highlighting the suffering of animals in Zimbabwe. Some Zimbabweans have eaten their household pets because they have nothing else to eat, according to the story. The people with whom I was talking said it's easy to criticize when we're sitting from our comfortable perches in the U.S., where we've never experienced famine or war or corruption to the degree present in Zimbabwe right now.

One person suggested people who know little about a situation should refrain from commenting on it other than to ask for more information.

My point in relaying this story isn't to say, "Wolfie shouldn't post" (that'd be an infraction) but to ask what purpose you were hoping to achieve by posting when you, as you later admitted, hadn't even read the story in the link. I generally like reading your posts. I know I'm sounding all stodgy and strict, since this is a message board after all. I post about things I haven't taken the time to study, either. I think I may need to reconsider that.

#39 Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Well...I was wrong too...

I can certainly understand someone having a misconception about this though as there are many versions of the story being reported on big news stations and all. At first I thought this all happend in about a weeks time or so....come to find out this was just the boiling point of many events that had taken place over about a years time.

I think many of those picketing/ralling(sp) got the wrong version of the story too... I think. I don't know if it hurt the cause so much though. It certainly brought out to the light the extent of how certain southern counties (maybe even states) haven't changed much over time. I don't know if they have choosen to continue to live segregated like or they do it out of the fact they are mainly racisist. I have yet to figure that out. Either way it's sad.
#40 Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Hmmm... this relates to a discussion I'm participating in on another board. (*gasp!* Yes, Skylark isn't faithful to VB.)

We were talking about the situation in Zimbabwe, and some people were upset some animal-rights groups made comments in news stories highlighting the suffering of animals in Zimbabwe. Some Zimbabweans have eaten their household pets because they have nothing else to eat, according to the story. The people with whom I was talking said it's easy to criticize when we're sitting from our comfortable perches in the U.S., where we've never experienced famine or war or corruption to the degree present in Zimbabwe right now.

One person suggested people who know little about a situation should refrain from commenting on it other than to ask for more information.

My point in relaying this story isn't to say, "Wolfie shouldn't post" (that'd be an infraction) but to ask what purpose you were hoping to achieve by posting when you, as you later admitted, hadn't even read the story in the link. I generally like reading your posts. I know I'm sounding all stodgy and strict, since this is a message board after all. I post about things I haven't taken the time to study, either. I think I may need to reconsider that.

Probably because when I'm here, it usually means I'm supposed to be working. So I didn't take the time to read the article but just took a guess at what happened based on other replies.

Now, as far as the discussion on the other board, I don't need to experience war and famine to know I absolutely would not, no way, ever, kill and eat my pets.

But I guess that's OT here.
#41 Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Beginner

I think a lot of the confusion here comes from the news media bunching of the incidents together like they happened all at once in a short period of time and implying that the results of one incident (placing nooses in a tree) may have been the instigating factor in the other incident (the beating)...when in fact one incident may have had very little or even nothing at all to do with the other ...
#42 Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post

I think a lot of the confusion here comes from the news media bunching of the incidents together like they happened all at once in a short period of time and implying that the results of one incident (placing nooses in a tree) may have been the instigating factor in the other incident (the beating)...when in fact one incident may have had very little or even nothing at all to do with the other ...

That's what I was lead on to believe...which wasn't very fair at all. I thought it all happened within a week or two in reality there were a whole list of events that happed over about a year.

Is it true they realesed Bell to juvenille court and to a juvenille detention center today? I thought I heard it but wasn't quite sure.
#43 Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Certainly the right timeline is important, but couldn't something like the noose incident, combined with many tiny things over the course of a year incite someone to violence, too? Sometimes, if issues are not addressed, people get madder and madder about them. It may not just go away if no one deals with the underlying issues.

#44 Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you have a good point skylark, and this is what I made mention of in an earlier post. When the original issue took place, it should have been really really really addressed at this school...I'm thinking it wasn't really, and that feelings simply festered. This does not excuse the ensuing acts of violence at all...but I think it does give them a reference point....context..so to speak.

B
#45 Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Wow. Yet another uninformed post.

What the victim does or doesn't do later has no bearing on what constitutes "attempted murder". What matters is the intention of the perpetrator, and whether their intention was to kill the victim.

In this case, I believe the attempted murder charge was incorrect. However, DAs typically overcharge early in the case, so this isn't surprising. Bell was convicted of aggravated assault, and I don't see how anyone can question that decision.

HUMPHSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

do you really think they wanted to kill that kid? like, oh hey guys, lets go kill someone, even though we are star football players, lets throw it all away and kill this mother****er.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#46 Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Wow. I guess the words "I believe the attempted murder charge was incorrect" were too confusing for you.

Pay attention.
#47 Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard Bell got out on bond and finally got his case transfered to juvenille court. Do you guys think he should of got out on bond or been transfered to a juvenille detention center? I think it's pretty fair since he had to sit in jail...jail is much harsher than a juvenille detention center...so I think he did his fair time. What do you guys think?

Also do you think the rally was completly called for?

I am undecided...since I don't know all the reprocutions from it yet/I don't know how it will affect the town as a whole yet. Some of the people interviewed said they aren't sure how thier town will make it though this/if they will have to move. One person interviewed said their town wasn't divided before all this happend and they aren't sure if it will be that way after.

Personally I think they were divided before and this just opened alot of peoples eyes as to how much. They thought they weren't divided but yet they really were. This brought alot of issues into the light alot of people just shoved under the rug. They had to be to some extent for all this to even take place to be honest. No one talked about it. Because no one talked about it doesn't mean it didn't exist. It is possible to hate people but be respectful to them (or avoid them) when you see them on the street or whatever. Just because you hate someone or a whole race of people doesn't mean you have to yell it from the rooftops.

What do you guys think?
#48 Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

i dont know why mychel bell was the only one tried. what happened to the other 5 kids?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#49 Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Kenickie, I would finding some articles on the subject of Jena and what happened there...before during and after.

Cuddlebunny, I think that we need to draw attention where it is needed. Unfortunately racism is still kind of rampant...and also unfortunately, many people are somewhat oblivious to their own racist ideas. I thought it was interesting to read yesterday that while the principal called for expulsion of these children (noose hanger uppers), this idea was vetoed by a school board vote. Consequently, he resigned his post as principal. Also read a response by a white member of the community who declared Jena was not a 'racist' place, and then continued his comments by saying the nooses were a prank, not serious. And that anyway, young black people didn't know the meaning of a noose. Older blacks now....they knew what a noose meant. His comments seemed incredibly racist to me...but he didn't think of himself...or his community...as racist.

I certainly think that conversations about race NEED to occur in our communities...not just in the south. There are big problems surrounding race. Our prisons are filled with black men for instance. I help serve the homeless. The majority of homeless we serve in our community are African American even though the make-up of our community is only between 30-40 % black. Majority black high schools schools see overwhelminly higher dropout rates than other schools. If this isn't a racial problem...poverty/sociol position/education...I don't know what you'd call it. This is repeated in communities across the country.

But race isn't really a problem anymore we say. Our communities aren't operating under any biases. I simply think it's a problem we keep trying to sweep under the rug...the only problem is, the rug has a big lump underneath it. And we're still walking around with surface politeness trying not to say any words that will offend people of other races. We think that simply saying polite words and not breeching the uncomfortable subject of racial inequality will help.

B
#50 Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

i dont know why mychel bell was the only one tried. what happened to the other 5 kids?

They are going to be tried separately. I would imagine the appeals and hub-bub probably taxed a small DA's office a tad, and has delayed the process a little.

I also find it amusing you didn't acknowledge how you incorrectly called me out about the attempted murder charge.
#51 Old 10-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

Cuddlebunny, I think that we need to draw attention where it is needed. Unfortunately racism is still kind of rampant...and also unfortunately, many people are somewhat oblivious to their own racist ideas. I thought it was interesting to read yesterday that while the principal called for expulsion of these children (noose hanger uppers), this idea was vetoed by a school board vote. Consequently, he resigned his post as principal. Also read a response by a white member of the community who declared Jena was not a 'racist' place, and then continued his comments by saying the nooses were a prank, not serious. And that anyway, young black people didn't know the meaning of a noose. Older blacks now....they knew what a noose meant. His comments seemed incredibly racist to me...but he didn't think of himself...or his community...as racist.

B

Yes, I agree racisim is not just a problem in the south. I moved out in the country and it's a HUGE problem here. I just don't think we have come as far as most people believe we have.

I also believe most people aren't aware of their views either. One of my close friends and I have had repeated conversations on this.

She uses the N word quite frequently. She only uses it when refering to a person of african american decent/a black person. I asked her if she was a racist. She said no. I said them why use that word? She said anyone can be a N..er. I said well you only use it when you are talking about a black person. Why..if anyone can be one? Then I said why would you use that word period considering the history of that word? Then she said because they are..and I'm 30 years old and can say anything I want. I said oh..but your not racist.

She obviously didn't know she had any racist feelings. To me she is very racist because it doesn't end there. There are many many other examples.

I wonder why so many people have racist feelings or are racist? No matter what race you are racist against..I wonder why. I asked her and didn't really get an answer. I assume it's because they are taught to think that way by parents or whoever you are raised by or who is most signifcant in your life when you are young. That is just an assumtion. I am very curious as to why people become racist in the beginning because you must understand the cause in order to fix the problem. Bandaids don't work they don't fix the problem.

I would really like her to quit saying the N word around me. I don't want that word or anything else racist to be associated with me..as that is far from being me.

And you can grow up in section 8 housing on welfare in the bad part of town completly surrounded by drugs and other bad things and grow up go to college and do something wonderful with your life...you just have to have more willpower than if you grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth. It's all about willpower. Most don't want to push themselves they'd rather take an easier route like sell drugs and the list could go on. It has nothing to do with race as white people are born into poverty and drugs too. It's about willpower. It takes alot to get yourself out of poverty legally...and not a whole lot of willpower to sell drugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page