Cockroach Infestation...thoughts on killing them - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

My title pretty much says it all...my co-op has recently become infested with roaches, and I have been getting our unit sprayed to kill them. And I mean seriously infested, to the point where we are seeing several dozen in the day and more at night.

But I have recently become vegan and am having some qualms about whether or not it's okay to do this, even though I am very worried because of health reasons.

Thoughts/ opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

i had a real bad infestation in another apt i was in. so bad that there were at least 20 of them on top of the kitchen cupboards all the time, in the couch, the bedroom, the bed. the way i see it do you want to live there or do you want them to live there. i solved that problem by moving, but since you can't i also had the pest control guy come by for 3 weeks in a row and spray just to make sure no strays came over with me. if you want to go the natural route i think boric acid is supposed to work. i'm sorry, but even as a paganveg myself i want nothing to do with roaches. Yuck
#3 Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you so much for your response. I have young children, and am so worried about all of this.

Just last night when I put my 15 month old to bed in her crib I had to kill 2 on the wall and one on the floor.

I know as a vegan I am supposed to be all about animal rights, but my instincts just took over. Whether or not it's PC, I HATE roaches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM

I've never accually seen a roach, but I think if I did - I would kill it. Or, accually, I think I would run and tell my dad there was a really big bug.
#5 Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Kill the *******s!!!

Okay that sounded harsh, but geez, what good do they do. It must suck to be a roach. They are the devils children.
#6 Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 PM

Well, I hate to kill any living creature, but I think there is a time and place for everything, and perhaps this is a time where it is ok to kill animals. I try to live by taking as little life as neccesary, and eating meat is certainly not essential to my well-being. Squashing ants on a sidewalk is not neccesary to my well being. Having a roach/flea/tick/termite free home, however, I would consider neccesary, so I would do it.

However, I wouldn't curse the roaches for thier nature- they didn't choose to be roaches, they can't help thier appearence and way of living. They are trying to live, just like any creature, including you and I, are trying to survive.

Basically, I, personally, would exterminate them, and probably apoligize over and over, and feel pretty bad for it.

Ok, so I most likely qualify as 'strange.' Oh well.
#7 Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

My old apartment complex had a BAD roach problem.. And we moved..

Roaches apparently lived in the microwave... The house I am living in now was infested because that microwave was brought over.

So we got an exterminator. Haven't seen one since. I feel that I needed to protect, not only myself, but my child that was on the way. I couldn't have these creatures infesting my living space and compromising my health, and making me waste money on food because of having to throw it out.

Vegan or not, I am sorry... You have to look out for you own health, and your precious one's health. Not to mention, your pocketbook.
#8 Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM

That was for Sky's post.

Okay sorry.
#9 Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering what I said that tickled you so.
#10 Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

yup , just draw the line in the sand . You and your child on one side and them on the other ...its no contest they have to go .
#11 Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

That was for Sky's post.

Okay sorry.

Dude, I'm Buddhist. So be it.
#12 Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

Dude, I'm Buddhist. So be it.

So is Richard Gere, but I doubt he puts up with them.
#13 Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:

So is Richard Gere, but I doubt he puts up with them.

*shrug* To each thier own.
#14 Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

Kill the *******s!!!

Okay that sounded harsh, but geez, what good do they do.

That's the attitude of the Brazilian and Haitian police who kill street children.

What 'good' do you or I do by our presence on earth?
#15 Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I've never accually seen a roach, but I think if I did - I would kill it.

If you saw a roach, you would kill it? Why?

Couldn't you just take it outside?
#16 Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
That's the attitude of the Brazilian and Haitian police who kill street children.

Are you even trying to compare a roach to a child??

Will you let them move in with you? Roach hotel at Bof's house. All are welcome.

Just when I thought I was going to bed. lol

Anyone have some popcorn?
#17 Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Bof
Banned

Spraying (poisoning) insects causes untold harm to animals further up the food chain.

From Wikipedias article on Silent Spring:

'The book stated that uncontrolled pesticide use led to the deaths of not only animals, especially birds, but also humans. Its title was meant to evoke a spring season in which no bird songs could be heard, because they had all died from pesticides. Its title was inspired by a poem by John Keats, "La Belle Dame sans Merci", which contained the lines "The sedge is wither'd from the lake, And no birds sing." '
#18 Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Spraying (poisoning) insects causes untold harm to animals further up the food chain.

From Wikipedias article on Silent Spring:

'The book stated that uncontrolled pesticide use led to the deaths of not only animals, especially birds, but also humans. Its title was meant to evoke a spring season in which no bird songs could be heard, because they had all died from pesticides. Its title was inspired by a poem by John Keats, "La Belle Dame sans Merci", which contained the lines "The sedge is wither'd from the lake, And no birds sing." '

I can see where you are coming from Bof . But what are you offering as an alternative . The problem is here and now and the OP has a kid to think about .
#19 Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

Are you even trying to compare a roach to a child??

No. I was comparing attitude. That's why I said 'That's the attitude....'

Where do you draw the line at killing things that are 'no use?' Mice? Rats? Moles? Possums? Elephants?

BTW - I'm sure that Mother Nature has a good reason for including cockroaches in her plan.
#20 Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 PM

So what would you suggest? Should we rehome them? And what place would that be that they would stay there? You got it, in your home. That is where they thrive.

I am just trying to figure out why you take up for an insect that carries many diseases and can harm you. As as human. You are human, right? Vegan's do need to explain when they are so vocal on some subjects and not the others.

How do you explain nonsense?
#21 Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

sorry im not living with a bloody roach. nasty disgusting things. give me your address bof and any that I see ill mail to you.
#22 Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:

No. I was comparing attitude. That's why I said 'That's the attitude....'

Where do you draw the line at killing things that are 'no use?' Mice? Rats? Moles? Possums? Elephants?

BTW - I'm sure that Mother Nature has a good reason for including cockroaches in her plan.

I love how you skip over stuff. You do love your black ink to make a point and skip the real one's. Nice.

we all can bold.
#23 Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

I can see where you are coming from Bof . But what are you offering as an alternative . The problem is here and now and the OP has a kid to think about .

From Wikipedia:

'Preventative measures include keeping all food stored away in sealed containers, using garbage cans with a tight lid, frequent cleaning in the kitchen, and regular vacuuming. Any water leaks, such as dripping taps, should also be repaired. It is also helpful to seal off any entry points, such as holes around baseboards, in between kitchen cabinets, pipes, doors, and windows with some steel wool or copper mesh and some cement, putty or silicone caulk.'

I've had kids too and never felt the need to kill anything.
#24 Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

****Mod post*****

Back on topic, or start a new thread please. Thanks.
#25 Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

****Mod post*****

Back on topic, or start a new thread please. Thanks.

The thread's about cockroaches. I was talking about cockroaches.
#26 Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I love how you skip over stuff. You do love your black ink to make a point and skip the real one's. Nice.

we all can bold.

You'll have to PM me with any questions you want answered or I might incur the wrath of the mods for being off topic!

I pretty much follow the advice in the Wikipedia article. Sometimes I have a few roaches in the back of kitchen drawers, in which case I take them outside and tip them out. The roaches just scuttle off.
#27 Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

If you wanna debate further, take it to the heap.

Thanks.
#28 Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

If I see a roach or two I'll put them outside, but for a major infestation I would use a pesticide or maybe try one of those sonic repeller things.

Roaches are linked with asthma and other breathing problems, so I agree you can't have them around kids.
#29 Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

From Wikipedia:

'Preventative measures include keeping all food stored away in sealed containers, using garbage cans with a tight lid, frequent cleaning in the kitchen, and regular vacuuming. Any water leaks, such as dripping taps, should also be repaired. It is also helpful to seal off any entry points, such as holes around baseboards, in between kitchen cabinets, pipes, doors, and windows with some steel wool or copper mesh and some cement, putty or silicone caulk.'

I've had kids too and never felt the need to kill anything.

How is this not relevant to the cockroach infestation thread?

It explains how to avoid cockroach infestation.

I know I'm old but this is getting really confusing.
#30 Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

That seems to be about preventing cockroaches. Once they're living in your walls, furniture, and appliances you're going to have to use something to kill them or make them go away. If you live in an apartment and all your neighbors don't follow this advice you'll still have roaches unless you continue to use something to kill them or make them go away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page