Animal Testing and Charities (split from MS Bike Tour) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope you don't do it. They support animal testing:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...undations.html

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

oh....
#3 Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

I hope you DO do it. Four people in my immediate family have MS.

So? I also know people very intimately who have MS, and they would not support a charity that supports vivisection, nor would I.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Why do people always introduce their support of vivisection by saying they're not in favour of animal testing for cosmetics? Do you know anyone who actually is in favour of torturing animals for nail polish? And even if you do, how likely are they to be on a veg*n message board?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Why do people always introduce their support of vivisection by saying they're not in favour of animal testing for cosmetics? Do you know anyone who actually is in favour of torturing animals for nail polish? And even if you do, how likely are they to be on a veg*n message board?

To differentiate that some animal testing is necessary and some animal testing is not.
#6 Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

To differentiate that some animal testing is necessary

proof? source? anything factual here?

and are you going to give up your beloved dogs for the "necessary" testing?
#7 Old 05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

please support one of these: www.humaneseal.org
#8 Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

and are you g? oing to give up your beloved dogs for the "necessary" testing?

No thanks.
#9 Old 05-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay sevenseas, please don't hijack this thread. We all have our own opinions and your's is coming across a little as attacking.
#10 Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

Okay sevenseas, please don't hijack this thread. We all have our own opinions and your's is coming across a little as attacking.

It doesn't come across as attacking to me at all. Maybe it comes across that way to you because it doesn't make you feel good about yourself.
#11 Old 05-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The OP didn't ask for advice about MS testing on animals. She asked for bicycling advice.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

But when it comes to stuff that could help save peoples lives, as long as they don't cross unnecessary lines (and I might be naiive here) I think it's okay.

I think you don't know much about vivisection, or your "lines" are drawn so low as to be nonsensical for the actual well-being of animals.

Is removing a baby monkey from her mother at birth and sticking her alone in a cage in a windowless room for life - never seeing the light of day or smelling fresh air - and only taking the fearful animal out (which must be done by roping the struggling animal around the neck) to run painful tests on her an "o.k. line" for you? Then she gets to die when you feel you've gotten enough out of this "living test tube." What do you consider torture for a sentient, aware, social being?

Experimenting on orphaned mentally handicapped babies could more realistically "help people's lives" but you aren't suggesting that. Or are you? I think the pro-vivisection viewpoint is pretty scary, ethically.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Medical research on animals is scientific fraud.

One of the most virulent anti-vivisectors in Switzerland was himself a vivisector before, but he quickly saw through the scam. He is not anti-vivisection for AR reasons, but because it's bloody USELESS.

Give your money or help out in some way organisations that are developing different methods of trying to cure human illnesses. And leave the animals out of it.
#14 Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

To differentiate that some animal testing is necessary and some animal testing is not.

What does that mean? Everything is necessary for some end. Cockfighting is necessary to give people the kind of entertainment they get from cockfighting, the death penalty is necessary for avenging the victims' death, etc. There is no necessity as such.

What you mean to say is that people differentiate what testing they find acceptable and unacceptable. So why not just use the terms 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable' (or right/wrong or justified/unjustified), instead of trying to frame your ethical values as some kind of a compelling external force (a "necessity")?

But that being said, given that I don't know anyone (at least on a veg*n board) who would be excited about cosmetics testing, I don't see the point in saying you are against it.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#15 Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What does that mean? Everything is necessary for some end.

What does that mean? Your not!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page