If this was followed by everybody, there would be no wars. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Christianity

All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:1

Confucianism

Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state. Analects 12:2

Buddhism

Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. Udana-Varga 5,1

Hinduism

This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you. Mahabharata 5,1517

Islam

No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. Sunnah

Judaism

What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman. This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary. Talmud, Shabbat 3id

Taoism

Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss. Tai Shang Kan Yin P'ien

Zoroastrianism

That nature alone is good which refrains from doing another whatsoever is not good for itself. Dadisten-I-dinik, 94,5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Bill and Ted's Excellentadventurism: Be Excellent to Each Other.

(couldn't resist, sorry)
#3 Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

"Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body. . . ."

-Walt Whitman

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Was du nicht willst, das man dir tu, das füg auch keinem andern zu.

Do (not) unto others as you would have others (not) do unto you.

Im not so sure though if anything being followed by everybody is a good thing.
#5 Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Beginner

"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind"

I really like this one!
#6 Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Another variation on the theme (from New Revised Standard Version of the Bible):

Luke 10:25-37

25 Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he said, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 26 He said to him, "What is written in the law? What do you read there?" 27 He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." 28 And he said to him, "You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live." 29 But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30 Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii, F109 gave them to the innkeeper, and said, "Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.' 36 Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?" 37 He said, "The one who showed him mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."
#7 Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

-Wiccan Rede.
#8 Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

Islam

No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. Sunnah

Find some more documentation on this one, you just cut in pasted this with no understanding. Islam's golden rule doesn't apply to non-muslims. Verse 9:23 of the Koran explicitly states this (a higher source than hadith). The term "brother" used in the hadith means fellow muslim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quran, Shakir translation View Post

[9.23] O you who believe! do not take your fathers and your brothers for guardians if they love unbelief more than belief; and whoever of you takes them for a guardian, these it is that are the unjust.

Also there's the implicit statement in your title that all wars are caused by religion? or that religion could prevent all wars?

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#9 Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

Find some more documentation on this one, you just cut in pasted this with no understanding. Islam's golden rule doesn't apply to non-muslims. Verse 9:23 of the Koran explicitly states this (a higher source than hadith). The term "brother" used in the hadith means fellow muslim.

And 'men' in Christianity only refers to humans.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#10 Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Hand out pharmaceutical grade MDMA to everyone that'll work better than a bunch of words. Siriassly.
#11 Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind"

I really like this one!

If everyone was blind, then no one would be able to fight...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#12 Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Atheist: Just be nice!
#13 Old 05-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

Also there's the implicit statement in your title that all wars are caused by religion? or that religion could prevent all wars?

This is not religion. It is philosophy, and darn good philosophy too. And I'm sorry to hear that Islam is so isolationist. Too bad.
#14 Old 05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This is not religion. It is philosophy, and darn good philosophy too. And I'm sorry to hear that Islam is so isolationist. Too bad.

It is sad, yes the categorical imperative of Kant, good stuff.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#15 Old 05-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Silver, Islam is not isolationist. Don't believe the agendas of others.
#16 Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Same dif!
#17 Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Even if not the modern interpretation, many believe that when written, much of the ten commandments only applied to other Jews.

As for laws of Islam applying only to other muslims, does anyone have any support to either view. From what I've heard/read, this was the traditional interpretation, or at least it is one that can be supported by other parts of the Koran, since it is full of stuff against non-muslims. As is the bible full of stuff insulting and intolerant of non-Jews and non-Christians.

Do onto others as you'd have them do onto you. Well, if I were violently wronging someone else, what would I have them do onto me? Let me continue? No. I would hope they would find some means to prevent me from further harming others.
#18 Old 05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

So they believe in the golden rule for themselves only, and the rest of the world be damned? Sounds like some fundamentalist churches that say WE are the only path to God, all the rest of you are damned.
#19 Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Even if not the modern interpretation, many believe that when written, much of the ten commandments only applied to other Jews.

I don't think that's about modern interpretation at all, I think it's about the teachings of Jesus. The Golden Rule is a more general principal than the rules of the Mosaic Covenant.

Quote:

As for laws of Islam applying only to other muslims, does anyone have any support to either view. From what I've heard/read, this was the traditional interpretation, or at least it is one that can be supported by other parts of the Koran, since it is full of stuff against non-muslims.

You're going to have to be more precise, we were talking about the Golden Rule as a principle annunciated by many religions except in Islam it is not open to kafir. Read the Koran, you might want to prep a bit with how to read the koran in terms of the story of muhammed and the chronological order of suras.

Quote:

As is the bible full of stuff insulting and intolerant of non-Jews and non-Christians.

sure, mostly in the old testament. In Deuteronomy, God tell the jews to totally destroy some specific other tribes that are in their promised land.

Quote:

Do onto others as you'd have them do onto you. Well, if I were violently wronging someone else, what would I have them do onto me? Let me continue? No. I would hope they would find some means to prevent me from further harming others.

A traditional refutation of the golden rule in philosophy is the actions of a rapist.

#20 Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So they believe in the golden rule for themselves only, and the rest of the world be damned?

No.
#21 Old 05-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, this post didn't go very well. I wanted to show how different people have a common thread. But you all have proved me wrong.

It makes me feel that I HAVE made the right decision to stay far away from organized religion. All those child-molesting priests, etc. Yuk.
#22 Old 05-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

#23 Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, this post didn't go very well. I wanted to show how different people have a common thread. But you all have proved me wrong.

It makes me feel that I HAVE made the right decision to stay far away from organized religion. All those child-molesting priests, etc. Yuk.

Silver, your original post was lovely. It's nice to know that at the core of the major religions lies a common fundamental truth. Be excellent to one another.

Of course people are going to split hairs, what did you expect? But the fundamental truths are the same.

As for your last statement, perhaps you should try practicing the Golden Rule yourself a bit...

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." - Mom

Nec Aspera Terrent
#24 Old 05-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

Do unto me as I would have you do.
#25 Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Silver, your original post was lovely. It's nice to know that at the core of the major religions lies a common fundamental truth. Be excellent to one another.

Of course people are going to split hairs, what did you expect? But the fundamental truths are the same.

Agreed. But it was in the heap! And it's fun to split hairs.
#26 Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Do unto me as I would have you do.

And do unto others before they can do unto you.
#27 Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

The most loving, spiritual people I know do not attend church.
#28 Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The most loving spiritist people I know do not attend church either but they often go to the graveyard next to it to meet friends.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#29 Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

and also some of the most loving spiritual people I know attend a church, some go to a mosque some are Buddhist and some are atheists some dont even label themselves

In the end it might come down to what vehicle of resonates is best for you

Its good to observe peoples attitudes to others faith , belief structures , you can see there make up then
#30 Old 05-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

Hand out pharmaceutical grade MDMA to everyone that'll work better than a bunch of words. Siriassly.

Meet me at midnight, by the water processing plant. bring a large stirrer. we shall happyfy the world!!

I dont need religion to make myself a nice person. I Think its sad when people do. If anyones seen "The virus of religion" (Which i hated and thought was horribly biased and want to smack dawkins but anyway) they interviewed a schoolteacher who said the only reason he doesnt rape and murder was because the bible tells him not to. glad hes not an athiest O_o

But yeah

If everyone did follow what silver said the world would be a nicer place. Though Disagreements will always happen, being as that war is generally over some form of territory not about whos god is better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page