Monsanto's GM corn MON863 shows kidney, liver toxicity in animal studies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Monsanto's GM corn MON863 shows kidney, liver toxicity in animal studies

\t

A variety of genetically modified corn that was approved for human consumption in 2006 caused signs of liver and kidney toxicity as well as hormonal changes in rats in a study performed by researchers from the independent Committee for Independent Research and Genetic Engineering at the University of Caen in France.

The corn in question, MON863, is made by the Monsanto Company and approved for use in Australia, Canada, China, the European Union, Japan, Mexico, the Philippines, and the United States. It has had a gene inserted from the bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), which causes the plant's cells to produce a pesticide.

Researchers fed rats either unmodified corn or diets containing 11 or 30 percent MON863 for 90 days. The rats who ate modified corn were found to exhibit signs of liver and kidney toxicity, as well as signs of hormonal changes.

Male rats lost an average of 3.3 percent of their body weight, and their excretion of phosphorus and sodium decreased. Female rats gained an average of 3.7 percent of their body weight, while their triglyceride levels increased by 24 to 40 percent.

The mechanism that causes the toxicity is not yet known, but the researchers say there is evidence that the Bt toxin may cause the perforation of blood cells. They expressed concern that the methods used by Monsanto in initial tests of the corn were statistically flawed and called their own tests "the best mammalian toxicity tests available."

Greenpeace responded to the study by calling for an immediate recall of all MON863 corn and the reassessment of all genetically modified foods currently approved for the market.

"Our counter-evaluation shows that there are signs of toxicity, and nobody can say scientifically and seriously the consumption of the transgenic maize MON863 is safe and good for health." - Lead Author Gilles Eric Seralini

It seems that the more these GM foods are tested, the more frightening the implications seem to be for human health. When companies like Monsanto do their own in-house testing, results are mysteriously favorable in nearly all cases, but when independent labs run their own tests, the results are downright shocking.

The FDA believes U.S. consumers should not be allowed to know which foods are genetically modified and which aren't. The push for honest labeling of GM foods has been blockaded by corporate interests and corrupt federal regulators.

The Campaign for labeling of GM foods: [link to www.thecampaign.org]

[link to www.newstarget.com]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Ex-*****

A lot of people on VB would say that an animal study is absolutely worthless in predicitng health effects on humans. Now let's see if they intend to be consistent about it

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

A lot of people on VB would say that an animal study is absolutely worthless in predicitng health effects on humans. Now let's see if they intend to be consistent about it

Does this mean you think Monsanto food is safe for you and your family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

i think they should produce human clones who would then be fed GMO foods in order to test these foods for safety in humans!
#5 Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

NO. I think the scientists who engineer this crap should be fed this same crap to test it for human grade safety.
#6 Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

NO. I think the scientists who engineer this crap should be fed this same crap to test it for human grade safety.

#7 Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

The entire world is being affected by Monsanto's greed. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9SywTI3jsI
#8 Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Europe is taking steps to protect itself from this crime against food. But the U.S. is doing nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4UmY...elated&search=
#9 Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't even get me started on Monsanto... they are hands down the most evil corporation on this planet. There is nothing they won't do to earn a buck. And they all but own the FDA so don't think for a second that governments will protect you from them (least of all a conservative government).

I love this video... it slams Monsanto, Fox News, and drinking milk all at the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axU9ngbTxKw
#10 Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

Put a funnel down the throats of the Monsanto corporate leaders and force feed'em that corn.
#11 Old 04-11-2007, 12:46 PM

*joins in the Monsanto-bashing*
#12 Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't see a "consistency" issue. The studies show that those GM foods may not be safe for rats or the animals they were tested on. That is not a reliable predictor of the health effects in humans, i.e. we still don't know if those foods would cause liver problems in humans. But most people who are concerned about their food source are not pro-GM foods, regardless of what an animal test says. If the tests showed no problems in nonhumans, people would still be wary of the GM foods for many reasons.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been freaking out about genetically altered foods. The question is... How can I NOT feed this to my family if they refuse to lable it? I have been switching as much as I can to organic foods, but where I live I can't buy my all my groceries organic.

I grow tons of veggies of my own, but through my research have found that most of the seeds I have planted where probably genetically altered. This year I am going to try my hardest to buy organic plants and seeds if I can find them.

I DON'T WANT TO FEED THIS JUNK TO MY LITTLE BOYS!!!!! It scares me terribly.
#14 Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

Does this mean you think Monsanto food is safe for you and your family?

No. But an animal study is not convincing evidence around these parts, just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I don't see a "consistency" issue.

I see people on here one day saying animal studies are not evidence of health effects on humans, and the next day someone else is using an animal study as evidence that a certain GM food or something else is bad. All I'm saying is that if these are in fact the same people, there would be a consistency issue.

Quote:
The studies show that those GM foods may not be safe for rats or the animals they were tested on. That is not a reliable predictor of the health effects in humans, i.e. we still don't know if those foods would cause liver problems in humans. But most people who are concerned about their food source are not pro-GM foods, regardless of what an animal test says. If the tests showed no problems in nonhumans, people would still be wary of the GM foods for many reasons.

Yes, but they ought to put forward some convincing evidence that there are human health issues with GM foods, instead of using animal studies.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#15 Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

doncha just love GM products?

Why don't they test more on humans? They could pay them well, and then offer health coverage if people got sick.

B
#16 Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Remember the story of the organic farmer who owned fields next to Monsanto's GM grainfields? The GM seeds blew over and started reseeding on the farmer's land.

Monsanto then sued the farmer for growing their patented seeds!
#17 Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Rats´ Internal Organs, Blood

Altered By GM

Corn - Monsanto

Rats Fed GM Corn Developed

Abnormalities In Blood & Kidneys

By Geoffrey Lean

Environment Editor

The Independent - UK

5-22-5

Rats fed on a diet rich in genetically modified corn developed abnormalities to internal organs and changes to their blood, raising fears that human health could be affected by eating GM food.

The Independent on Sunday can today reveal details of secret research carried out by Monsanto, the GM food giant, which shows that rats fed the modified corn had smaller kidneys and variations in the composition of their blood.

According to the confidential 1,139-page report, these health problems were absent from another batch of rodents fed non-GM food as part of the research project.

The disclosures come as European countries, including Britain, prepare to vote on whether the GM-modified corn should go on sale to the public. Britain and nine other countries voted in favour.

Dr Michael Antoniu, an expert in molecular genetics at Guy´s Hospital Medical School, described the findings as "very worrying from a medical point of view", adding: "I have been amazed at the number of significant differences they found [in the rat experiment]."

A senior British government source said ministers were so worried by the findings that they had called for further information.

Dr Pusztai reported a "huge list of significant differences" between rats fed GM and conventional corn, saying the results strongly indicate that eating significant amounts of it can damage health. T

Monsanto refuses to release full details of the rat research on the grounds that "it contains confidential business information which could be of commercial use to our competitors".

©2005 Independent News & Media (UK) Ltd.

[link to news.independent.co.uk]
#18 Old 04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, but they ought to put forward some convincing evidence that there are human health issues with GM foods, instead of using animal studies.

Yeah, I think the best one could say about the studies is that the GM foods may cause some harm to some biological systems, but one can't say in what way the GM foods affect humans directly, if at all. I don't see how one could say more, based on those studies.

But the uncertainty of the effect of genetically modifying organisms that we eat - it can probably never be shown conclusively - gives enough reason to be against GM foods (and of course people should care about other unwilling animals that come into contact with these products). And Monsanto has shown itself to be a corporation that one should be very wary of regardless.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

Monsanto refuses to release full details of the rat research on the grounds that "it contains confidential business information which could be of commercial use to our competitors".

LIE
#20 Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Errrm, the study referenced in the opening post of this thread is based on a re-analysis of Monsanto's data.

From the abstract:

Quote:
One of these studies performed under the responsibility of Monsanto Company with a transgenic corn MON863 has been subjected to questions from regulatory reviewers in Europe, where it was finally approved in 2005. This necessitated a new assessment of kidney pathological findings, and the results remained controversial. An Appeal Court action in Germany (Munster) allowed public access in June 2005 to all the crude data from this 90-day rat-feeding study. We independently re-analyzed these data.

#21 Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

Errrm, the study referenced in the opening post of this thread is based on a re-analysis of Monsanto's data.

From the abstract:

Uuuh what's your point?
#22 Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Obviously many here are anti-GMO. How do you guys feel about gene therapy?
#23 Old 04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

How do you guys feel about gene therapy?

I like my genes to be hand washed, hung out in the fresh air to dry, and neatly folded, by gaya.
#24 Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Uuuh what's your point?

Probably that Silver is wrong about Monsanto not sharing the info.
#25 Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Probably that Silver is wrong about Monsanto not sharing the info.

It says they shared it with Gov. agencies not the general public.
#26 Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It says they shared it with Gov. agencies not the general public.

So let's suppose you, as Mr. General Public, got a copy of the raw data.

What exactly would you be qualified to do with it?
#27 Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

So let's suppose you, as Mr. General Public, got a copy of the raw data.

What exactly would you be qualified to do with it?

Hey, I'm a bona fide qualifier, just ask my Momma.
#28 Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I like my genes to be hand washed, hung out in the fresh air to dry, and neatly folded, by gaya.

i'd neatly fold you into a chiwawa

eta: yes, i'm not sober, so don't take me terribly serioulsy but i'm curious as to your (general you) opinions on the subject.
#29 Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

My uncle worked for Monsanto before. I forget why now.

Another one of my relatives runs a factory farm...

I knew it was possibly bad for the enivroment, didn't know it was actually unhealthy for people who eat it.
#30 Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

I guess I much less care about the human genome going astray, then I care about plants and animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page