Poll should the US abolish the 2nd amendment? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: should the US abolish the 2nd amendment?
yes 0 0%
no 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 04-07-2007, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

That is highly debatable, but is perhaps for another thread.

of course you're right, I should have said "considered to be relatively harmless". Anyway, you get the point, I hope....

I don't think the 2nd amendment should be abolished. However, I have no problem with stricter gun control laws. I don't like guns, personally, and I think far too many people have them. I was raised with an unlocked gun cabinet in the living room. there's something about the mindset of "gun people" that I find to be highly unsettling.

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 04-07-2007, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people are crazy... wheather they have a gun or not. But I tend to agree with everything else you said
#93 Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What is at issue in your poll is whether the right to bear arms should be granted to US citizens.

No. Follow carefully. What's at issue in the poll is whether the right to bear arms should be taken away from US citizens.

See the difference?

Quote:
Yes, and unless you're gonna ban free speech and freedom of association, neither of those facts should obtain.

Maybe I'm being extra dense here, but I have no idea what you are trying to say, pretty much from the point where you said guns and drugs were a good comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In some scenarios, it's actually the opposite. You're more likely to die if you fight. That is, a burglar/gunman, etc. may leave you alone if you're quiet, hiding, etc.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say too.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#95 Old 04-07-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

Well see it's like this, when we kicked Englands butt way back when in the late 1700's and sent her packing back across the pond, our founding fathers drafted this paper which was designed to keep the people from falling under some silly little trap like being taxed without representation, and to prevent gov'ts turning into kingdoms, and dictatorships.......

Going slightly off topic here but it needs saying.

The UK is NOT just England! Why the hell do you Americans always think England and the UK or Britain are the same! Great Britain is Wales, Scotland, England and the other islands. The United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. NOWHERE does it say that the UK or Britain is just England: theres a load of other countries as well! Sorry, I just find it incredibly insulting when I tell Americans that Im from the UK or from Britain and they automatically think that Im English. Wales is NOT England! Scotland is NOT England! Northern Ireland is NOT England! The Isle of Man is NOT England! The Channel Islands are NOT England! Surprisingly only England is England! Shock horror!

Its like me saying to an American: Well, youre from North America so your Canadian. Or saying to a Canadian: Youre from North American so you must live in the USA. I bet that would go down like a tonne of bricks! Id probably get shot if they were carrying a gun.

Please! How many times must I say it! The UK is not just England. Britain is not just England! Please do not insult me by saying that Im English. Im Welsh!
#96 Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidneylust View Post

well i dont care cause guns are dumb, honestly if someone is going to kill another person at least be man enough to step up and do it by hand.

As dumb as square glasses?

#97 Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

No. Follow carefully. What's at issue in the poll is whether the right to bear arms should be taken away from US citizens.

See the difference?

To me, whether it should be taken away is the question of whether it should be granted or not -- b : to permit as a right, privilege, or favor <luggage allowances granted to passengers>. But be my understanding of that definition incorrect or not, I personally don't put so much weight on the fact that once upon a time some right was granted. To me, how rights and obligations should be distributed is a question of the current context that is always in need of re-evaluation if the situation so requires.

Quote:
Maybe I'm being extra dense here, but I have no idea what you are trying to say, pretty much from the point where you said guns and drugs were a good comparison.

When I said that guns can be compared with drugs, I meant "3 : something and often an illegal substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness" and my point was that if preventing citizens from getting objects dangerous and harmful to others is such a basic violation of freedom, any criminalization of drugs is such a violation too.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#98 Old 04-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Gun advocates often bring up "defending your family against a bad gov't" as a reason to have the right to bear arms.

But that is a lame reason. Why? because any group of family held up in a bunker, and armed to the teeth is still no match for the US army. All the army has to do is fire one missle from a hand held device (or from one of those mini spy planes used in Afganistan) into the bunker, and the fight would be over.

The real reason gun advocates want to own guns...is because they like guns. I'll let someone with a psychology background take over from here...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#99 Old 04-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

The real reason gun advocates want to own guns...is because they like guns.

Yeah sometimes it's hard to take the self-defense arguments seriously when people post pictures of their gun collection and make comments like "look at this baby I bought back in '92, oh yeah!".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#100 Old 04-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

Well see it's like this, when we kicked Englands butt way back when in the late 1700's and sent her packing back across the pond, our founding fathers drafted this paper which was designed to keep the people from falling under some silly little trap like being taxed without representation, and to prevent gov'ts turning into kingdoms, and dictatorships.......

...in the 1700's. We're really not going to try and tax the US without representation or invade now, are we? And even if the UK did, for strange reason, a bunch of farmers with shotguns would be the least of our problems.
#101 Old 04-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

The UK is NOT just England!

beat me to it
#102 Old 04-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

i support the right to arm bears.

#103 Old 04-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

As dumb as square glasses?

#104 Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I woke up this morning to the blasts of the neighbors (father, daughter age 6 and strange cousin) guns before 8am. What a nice way to start the day! grrrr I guess I'm kind of flip floppy because I wish their rights would be revoked just for my own safety. (*see "My Neighbors 6 yr old daughter and her first gun" thread for background into their insanity)

For the most part, I think (or hope) most people do not act like this.
#105 Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYSTAROLDIES View Post

SCARLET

If she is cute I support the right to Bear Wrestle........with a girl of course.

ha. that's pretty funny. and by funny i mean creepy .

#106 Old 04-07-2007, 06:29 AM

SCARLET

I always like fun or funny when I can get it.......LOL....Humor that is.

As for creepy????????? 100% U.S. Male nothing Creepy about it.....if Bear Wrestling leads to the good stuff..........LMAO
#107 Old 04-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah. how's that working out for you? (actually i don't want to know. forget i asked.)
#108 Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYSTAROLDIES View Post

100% U.S. Male nothing Creepy about it.....

I'm 110% European Ultra-Hunk. Even my eyelashes are so manly that they're pure ****in' steel and when I flap them around, even the biggest US Marine starts to sob from fear.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#109 Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'm 110% European Ultra-Hunk. Even my eyelashes are so manly that they're pure ****in' steel and when I flap them around, even the biggest US Marine starts to sob from fear.

that's hot.
#110 Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 AM

SCARLET...

Check out my homepage ...........pretty good thanks.........Lead singers always get the girls............LOL
#111 Old 04-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Banned

Ducati:
Quote:
Saying guns cause crime is like saying your keyboard cuases mipselled wrods, or water causes people to drown, or matches cause arson. or needles cause drug abuse, or alcohal causes alcohalism, or cars cause teen pregnancy, etc etc.

I agree with you. And, not to change the subject, but just to add an addtional analogy to your list: saying that guns cause crime is like saying that water causes people do drown, or that drugs cause drug abuse. Unfortunatly, there have been a bunch of drug warriors saying exactly that, for years. And there will always be people who also think, and think erroneously, that guns cause gun crime.
#112 Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 AM

If there were no laws, there would be no crime.
#113 Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:

In some scenarios, it's actually the opposite. You're more likely to die if you fight. That is, a burglar/gunman, etc. may leave you alone if you're quiet, hiding, etc.

I guess you haven't read all my posts.
#114 Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 AM

I can read the posts, I just don't necessarily agree.

wrt the whole "guns don't kill people; people kill people" argument....that's all well and good, but less access to guns makes it a whole lot harder for those killer-type people.

No, I don't think we should abolish the 2nd ammendment, but neither do I believe that laws governing/limiting their use are unconstitutional. As mentioned earlier, p all sorts of activities because we deem that restriction to be in the public interest.

and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

No, the government has no business telling me not to wear T-shirts and tank tops.

Wouldn't that be your right to "bare arms" (which I don't believe is protected in the Constitution)?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#115 Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas

that's hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

that's hot.

I'll say.
#116 Old 04-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I can read the posts, I just don't necessarily agree.

If you read all my posts, you would have seen that I explained when I would fight, and when I wouldn't. If you are going to die by not fighting, then you should certainly fight.
#117 Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Going slightly off topic here but it needs saying.

The UK is NOT just England! Why the hell do you Americans always think England and the UK or Britain are the same!

We don't. Most of us know the difference.

If you're going to get all uppity about the fact that john said "England" instead of "UK", then I'm going to get uppity and say that that the US actually broke free from the British Empire. Not the UK.
#118 Old 04-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

no, i don't think the amendment should be repealed. i do think that gun control makes sense, especially with weapons that can be easily concealed or weapons that are clearly combat weapons and not suitable for hunting.
#119 Old 04-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Please do not insult me by saying that Im English. Im Welsh!

In the late 1700s, you would have been English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_and_Wales
#120 Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

no, i don't think the amendment should be repealed. i do think that gun control makes sense, especially with weapons that can be easily concealed or weapons that are clearly combat weapons and not suitable for hunting.

Which part of "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" covers hunting weapons or concealment?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page